Mike_Bike

Next (big?) step up from Mahlkonig Vario?

I've had my Mahlkonig vario for about 18months now and I'm looking to upgrade to something that has an adjustment mechanism that is a little more precise and stable.

My only real requirements are that it has to be doserless and not look out of place in a domestic kitchen ... and of course that it is actually better than the Vario (my only real complaint is it's vague adjustment mechanism)

Along those lines I'd put together a list of likely candidates ... But I'm not sure what else there is available that would be an upgrade over the Vario so hence the post.

• Mahlkonig Pro M Espresso - Nice size and uses the same burrs as a K30 so can't be too bad? But is it a good step up from the Vario?
  • HG-One - Should be a big step up in precision over the Vario as it so simple ... availability might be problem, production is delayed & there will be a mad rush when back in stock? Would I be annoyed by the stability when cranking + I'm not 100% sold on the look of it.
  • Compak K8 Fresh - Like the styling and the electronic interface but it is a big unit!
  • Compak K10 Fresh - Same as above + a price premium for the conical burrs

Edited by Mike_Bike

I'd certainly put Mazzer Major-e in that category, and the Anfim Super Caimano (maybe OE pharos too)

As with all these grinders, there will be some tradeoff in practicality etc.

Vario is a very practical home grinder..

But if its quality of grind, then any of these are "probably" better

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Go to the Grind Off event in June where all the possible contenders will be there. that said, you can only deal with one constraint at a time, so what is it!

Pharos didn't make the grade as I don't think it is all that practical, it looks awkward to use and a bit Heath Robinson in it's construction.

The Anfim Super Caimano also falls down on the very vain point that I don't like how it looks (if it's going to be a big brute on the side it has to at least look nice)

I'm not sure I'm keen enough to attend the grind off ... or even wait for it's outcome :) At the moment I'm entertaining myself by weighing up my options, looking at reviews on the net and pondering what option best suits my needs with the least compromise.

The one key point that I want from a new grinder though is precision and repeatability ... if I adjust something I want it to do the same thing predictably each time. I don't get that feeling with the Vario, especially since I upgraded to a much more stable coffee machine and started to eliminate as many variables as I possibly can.

Yep fair enough on the practicality (though a Pharos is £200)..

If it was a money no object kind of thing, i'd probably take a K10 Fresh or a Robur-E

They will give you precise, amazing tasting shots and are very repeatable (and are both huge/shiny/expensive :))

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Go to the Grind Off event in June where all the possible contenders will be there. that said, you can only deal with one constraint at a time, so what is it!

Mahlkonig Pro-M? K10 Fresh? Those are his possible contenders.

The k10 will be there, the Mahlkonig definitely not, as you have obviously forgotten that the stipulation is that the cost of the unit has to be under £250

Mahlkonig Pro-M? K10 Fresh? Those are his possible contenders.

There is a k10 but not fresh, and a mazzer royal, mazzer major, alas all are doser versions. However the Brasilia rr550d will be there which is a great doserless grinder. Amazing what you can get for less than £250 isn't it funinacup?

AKA Toffee chips

And I money were no object, I am sorry but the elektra niño has my vote hands down both on looks and performance, it is the only grinder I would replace my eureka for, which coincidently is also an awesome on demand grinder

AKA Toffee chips

And I money were no object, I am sorry but the elektra niño has my vote hands down both on looks and performance, it is the only grinder I would replace my eureka for, which coincidently is also an awesome on demand grinder

Im sure ive seen a member on here with a nino and KVdw speedster combo.....absolute stunning pair

Im sure ive seen a member on here with a nino and KVdw speedster combo.....absolute stunning pair

mmmm shiny :p

Andy

Not really interested in any grinder with a doser + I'm not even sure I want to upgrade from the vario unless I can convince myself that there is something out there that exactly matches what I want ... although I am very tempted by a Compak K8/K10 as they are ticking a lot of boxes.

What do people think about the real world differences between a K8 Fresh and a K10 Fresh (apart from £650). They share a hell of lot of parts apart from those directly associated with the burrs and driving those at an optimal speed. (See here, they share the same spares sheet http://www.compak.es/docs/osp/osp_K8_K10_Fresh.pdf ) I guess it will be down to the pros and cons of flat vs conical ... any pointers on that aspect?

Thanks Bubba....jeez, the size of that grinder makes the Speedster look small

The k10 will be there, the Mahlkonig definitely not, as you have obviously forgotten that the stipulation is that the cost of the unit has to be under £250

That was my point - some of the grinders the OP is considering aren't going to be at the grind off because their value is too high.

Coffeechap, absolutely you can get some cracking grinders for under £250, but you can also pay more and get some better ones :)

Yeah it's a monster but its just so shiney :-)

NME

Bosco Sorrento/Eureka Mythos/Torr Palisander XS Convex/VST 18g Ridgeless/Motta Jug/Bialetti Brikka​/FJY Syphon/Porlex/IngenuiTEA

That was my point - some of the grinders the OP is considering aren't going to be at the grind off because their value is too high.

Coffeechap, absolutely you can get some cracking grinders for under £250, but you can also pay more and get some better ones :)

Yes, that is Grind Off 2

Michael you must be best placed right now to give hime some advice on the mazzer major od

AKA Toffee chips

Mazzer Major-E is quick (8.5secs for 20g while seasoning the burrs, 6ish post-seasoning), tidy and consistent! Distribution into the basket is great with only a gentle tap on the side of the portafilter required to settle the grinds from a heap to nice and level. Taste profile is clean and defined (paired with a 20g VST at the moment).

If you're in Glasgow or near then you're welcome to come give it a shot! As is anyone else local.

Not very local as I'm in Notts ... so quite a way off :)

It's a shame as I am considering some training, I figure I could do with some upgrading too as I am sure I am the biggest variable in the whole process!

The whole mention of the OE grinders has got me off on a mission looking at the OE Lido for my areopress/cafetiere at work. Thankfully it's out of stock otherwise it might have been an expensive tangent :D

Just bought a Lido/Pharos pair from OE

As you say, Lido looks perfect for an aeropress combo (exactly my reason for getting one).

Took a punt on the Pharos, as they've ironed out most of the problems now..

Will be interesting to try for the money anyway.

If it grinds as well as they say, then its a complete bargain really (I'll take that over practicality for £200 quid)

Andy

Will follow this thread with interest as I'm in the same position.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Dual Boiler™ | Sage, Mazzer Major, VST 18g, 20g, Pullman 58.4mm convex, Mahlkoenig Vario, Hario grinder, Areopress, V60-1, Chemex, Kalita Wave, impress coffee brewer

Casadio Enea?

K8/10 fresh is the only thing that is tempting me at the moment from my anfim lusso. Too many doser less grinders look like they whack a chute in place of the doser. I'd like to see a design like the versalab for sensible money.

Coffee making stuff :coffee: