coffeechap

Mazzer micro hopper that clears the exit Shute of the burr assembly!

Bird's Custard Powder lit fits perfectly too.

The metal ones?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Pure class - make sure you keep the label on

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Very nice mod.

I found a nice lid in Asda that fits at least this hood:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200670126620

The attachments show the lid and the storage pot (in the kitchen section of Asda for £3 or £4) it came from. There's some tabs inside the lid that get in the way a bit, though it still fits with them. I removed mine with a dremel.

Picked up one of these Asda coffee storage pots today. Using the lid as a lens hood cover must be one of the more simple mods! Thanks for the tip.

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

Asda lid on lens hood pic:

2014-05-13134242_zps04cba840.jpg

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

Have fitted the lens hood and coffee tin lid micro hopper to my Mini and it works a treat.

One thing that I have noticed is that collapsing the hood to remove grinds from the shoot seems to work much better when the motor is still running (even if no beans left).

I'm assuming that the reason for using a "micro hopper" would be:

a) to reduce height of grinder in a domestic environment

b) to reduce the exposure of beans in low volume usage situations (i.e. domestic use)

any other reasons?

To clear the exit Shute of coffee

AKA Toffee chips

Love these ghetto mods.

Gaggia Classic (IMS screen & basket, OPV, Silvia & PID mod) | Mahlkonig K30

Ordered one for the E92...recommended ebay seller was out of stock (£6.99)

http://www.cameraking.co.uk/Phot-R%99+58mm+Rubber+Wide-Angle+Multi-Lens+Hood.html

£3.95, including free delivery, have no idea what quality will be like and will report back when I get it.

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Cheers Dave for posting the link, I've been considering replacing the too-tall standard hopper on my Mini (doser/timer) with one of these but couldn't figure out exactly which supplier sold the right ones. I know I've got a doser and I don't really single-dose anyway but if I had this it would save me scooping out the burr chamber exit every time (1.5g) and would also let me get the thing under the cupboard.

Up to now, I basically keep about 50-100g in the hopper, run the machine for about 20 secs (it grinds roughly 1g/sec). I then poke the wine stopper into the aperture once the burrs have stopped to retrieve the last gram and a half. I still probably have half a gram kicking around in the doser at the end but I can live with that. I can usually grind 18.5g to a tolerance of 1.5g just through experience. Poking around in the aperture is no biggie with my rubber pointy stopper thingy, but a quick squeeze on a rubber hood/hopper thingy sounds so much more convenient.

This is similar to my pointy ninth finger:

zion-wine-stopper.jpg

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I hope it works OK for me, my use is to very gently puff the last 4.7g out of the burr chamber of the E92, while it's running.

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

That's fantastic Dave! Please fit one to the Mazzer I have on order with you.

cheers

Just thought I would share this with the mazzer owners on here, taking an idea that shrink had for a portafilter dosing devise I stumbled across these collapsible lens hoods on eBay and being the modder that I am decided to put them to use on a mazzer and here is the outcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2491[/ATTACH]

However the real beauty of this hopper which incidentally will hold around 100 gram of beans, is that if you single dose on a mazzer you have to put up with clearing the exit Shute of the burrs, but this little beauty clears it check out the video

And all for the poultry sum of £1 delivered!!

Expobar Leva DB PID, Eureka Olympus 75E, Mazzer Super Jolly, Rhino Hand Grinder, Torr Trapez, On Balance Scales, VonShef Stainless Steel Double Wall French Press, VST 18, 20, IMS Shower Screen, V60, D'Ancap Cups/Saucers :coffee:

Hi people, I have a La Spaziale Astro 12 grinder (a Macap MX clone) and want to try this mod. I measured the OD of the hopper and it is 67mm. Should 67mm be ok or I'd go with the 62mm and make it 67ish with some minor modding?

Regards

Firat Cingi

La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi - La Spaziale Astro12

when the hood arrives it will have a little threaded metal connector..you'll need to remove that before fitting it. not sure if that's mentioned elsewhere (and i'm too lazy to search to see)

Would 58mm fit on the inside of a royal, rather than outside?

Any links to an identical product that isn't 50 quid ?

The ID of a Royal feed throat is 60mm (as is the SJ). A 58mm thread lens hood would sit inside, but it would be loose and jiggle about a bit. Next standard size up is 62mm (there isn't a 60). However, the metal ring in a rubber lens hood can be removed (some are just lip-in-groove fit, others are also lightly glued). If the ring is removed, it could be machined on a lathe to remove the outside thread and leave it plain at 60mm. That's what I intend to do with the help of a watch/clock maker pal who has a range of lathes.

62mm rubber lens hoods are plentiful on eBay, starting at under three quid (with free carriage). £4 or £5 ought to buy a quality product.

Tony.

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!

The ID of a Royal feed throat is 60mm (as is the SJ). A 58mm thread lens hood would sit inside, but it would be loose and jiggle about a bit. Next standard size up is 62mm (there isn't a 60). However, the metal ring in a rubber lens hood can be removed (some are just lip-in-groove fit, others are also lightly glued). If the ring is removed, it could be machined on a lathe to remove the outside thread and leave it plain at 60mm. That's what I intend to do with the help of a watch/clock maker pal who has a range of lathes.

62mm rubber lens hoods are plentiful on eBay, starting at under three quid (with free carriage). £4 or £5 ought to buy a quality product.

Tony.

Answering a rather old question there Teejay!

The 58mm hood also stretches over the outside of the throat, and it stays in place this way.

Answering a rather old question there Teejay!

The 58mm hood also stretches over the outside of the throat, and it stays in place this way.

Ah, I see! And I realised it was such an ancient post after I'd replied... just tying to be helpful; can't win 'em all (and sometimes I don't win any of 'em).

Tony. :rolleyes:

Edited by teejay41

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!

That's great video and will start to use the one that came with mine once it's up and running.

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, Ceramic 02 V60, 6 Cup Venus Moka,  Aeropress, Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle. ** Kinu M47 Wanted **