IGNORED

New Grinder for the Studio

Decided to get some new kit in the training studio, so received this Mazzer Major-E today;

mazzer1.jpg

mazzer2.jpg

mazzer3.jpg

mazzer4.jpg

Super fast, lovely neat pile of grounds and a fan to keep things cool. Stays on for a couple minutes after grinding.

Looking forward to giving it a proper workout the next few weeks!

They are pretty expensive, but great value - the output is fantastic! I've used them lots while doing on-site training and decided to bite the bullet!

Only thing I would say, the Major is slightly faster than the royal. It spins much faster.

The resulting (potential) negative of that - The extra heat generated could be an issue if you were an insanely busy shop.

For home use the Major is much more other-half friendly

Only thing I would say, the Major is slightly faster than the royal. It spins much faster.

The resulting (potential) negative of that - The extra heat generated could be an issue if you were an insanely busy shop.

For home use the Major is much more other-half friendly

Yep, Royal is quality (as is the Major)

The biggest dilemma for me, is that you can get a secondhand 'doser' version of either of these for under £300 quid!

When you factor in £1000 for the Major-E and rather more for the Royal-E, you have to at least consider a doser in your home..

Having weighed up the doser/doserless argument, i'm still on the fence though..

Both are great in different ways I guess!

There are pro's and cons. I think for a shop doserless / on demand / high-end is needed.

For home 2nd hand modified doser versions are economical and easier to single dose and switch between coffees

Yep, Royal is quality (as is the Major)

The biggest dilemma for me, is that you can get a secondhand 'doser' version of either of these for under £300 quid!

When you factor in £1000 for the Major-E and rather more for the Royal-E, you have to at least consider a doser in your home..

Having weighed up the doser/doserless argument, i'm still on the fence though..

Both are great in different ways I guess!

Hopefully I will have some metal chutes done ( in time for the grind off )that bolt into the inside of the doser chamber that turn the royal, sj and mini into a hybrid doser less, would mean the second hand beasts can be modded for a bit less.

For home 2nd hand modified doser versions are economical and easier to single dose and switch between coffees

Yeah, maybe i'm missing the point..

In my opinion, a Vario is all those things out of the box!

My reason for switching to a large commercial grinder would be purely grind quality (maybe build quality).

I think the trade off at home would be convenience, size, maybe some retention

To me, most dosers are not good out of the box, so will need modifying (which to me is a design flaw, or its not being used as designed!)

This is why I feel that for convenience in the home, I would take a doserless over a doser

I don't want to be taking the machine apart to get it to work..I want it to work 'as designed'

But then, I can't really afford £1000 for a grinder...so i'm screwed either way lol

I still need convincing that a doser is what I want!

If I can get my head around that, then i'll plonk £300 quid down on a secondhand Royal doser tomorrow! :good:

Then buy a modded royal! The dosers are not flawed in their design, they are completely fit for purpose which is for it to used in a commercial environment, full of grinds so that the weight of grinds evenly distributes the coffee into each dosing compartment, this then means fairly accurate dosing can be done from a dosing chamber and is totally adjustable to suit the dose required. They are however not fit for home use and that is where modding comes in.

Good luck getting a royal for 300 that ou don't have to do anything to at all, including getting our hands dirty de-gunging it.

Yeah, that's partly what i'm saying..

The doser is 'not' being used as it was designed (i.e. its not designed for home use).

So i'd be modifying something to fit in the home, which was not designed to fit in the home..

I appreciate if I buy a doser royal/major I would probably need to do the mods myself..

I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty, I just want it to work as it was designed

I agree, it would be great if the doserless ones came up at even half sensible prices, but so far I have never seen a royal e go for less than 800, if I manage to get the mod done for inside the chamber it will be a really easy retro fit as I hate having to spend copious amounts of time modifying grinders.

I agree, it would be great if the doserless ones came up at even half sensible prices, but so far I have never seen a royal e go for less than 800, if I manage to get the mod done for inside the chamber it will be a really easy retro fit as I hate having to spend copious amounts of time modifying grinders.

Yeah defo, all electronic mazzers carry a serious premium.

Would be nice to see that chute mod :good:

I'd love a Vario with all metal construction, 83mm flat burrs, and a decent adjustment collar..

damn that's a Royal-E...:confused: