Glenn

UK Coffee Map

Just moved "Spark Coffee" In Edinburgh by accident. Does anyone know how I can fix that?

I can vouch for:

Mojca Kristen at Astrora Roasters, 31 Broad Street, Teddington, Middlesex TW11.

Single Origin beans, small quantity high quality roaster with genuine talent.

Roasts Tuesday and Thursday on site and invariably turns over her stock between roasts.

Mojca and her husband have family in Ethiopia too so she is often out there on the ground with growers.

The shop also stocks a small range of crockery and drip/aeropress/moka pot paraphernalia. She drinks drip coffee.

I used to travel 35 miles each way to buy her coffee. Thank goodness I'm living round the corner again.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

We're getting a good little collection in Hitchin now.

Hermitage Rd. Resturant and coffee shop. http://www.hermitagerd.co.uk

Hasbean coffee and even run the same beans in the restaurant. My local haunt. One of the few places that I've been where I look forward to the coffee after the meal.

Handlebar instore at Kinetic Cycles - http://kineticcycles.co.uk/

Only been there once, they're still working everything out and playing with the blends they have.

And the newest - not open yet

Groundworks Coffee - http://www.thegroundworks.co.uk/

Opening March 22nd apparently.

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Just added Harvest Moon Espresso, 64 Northgate Street, Chester to the map.

Second visit today, didn't really have chance to chat with the staff, but I had a great flat white there today and would go back again.

Just added Harvest Moon Espresso, 64 Northgate Street, Chester to the map.

Second visit today, didn't really have chance to chat with the staff, but I had a great flat white there today and would go back again.

When I was last in, the barista said the owners were planning to start roasting their own beans which sounded interesting. Do you know if they are?

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

When I was last in, the barista said the owners were planning to start roasting their own beans which sounded interesting. Do you know if they are?

Not sure, but the next time I'm in I'll make time to ask about the beans, and whether they roast on site.

When I last visited Harvest Moon, in December, coffee was well made but let down by inferior beans (long dated). That's when she told me the owners were going to begin roasting their own. Despite its size and tourist popularity, Chester is a bit of a desert when it comes to 3rd wave coffee.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I really admire coffee shops that try and differentiate themselves by roasting their own. The difficult thing is to get the quality up to the standard of the 'big' roasters depending on how much they sell to other people, however I personally give a bit more leniency in the end product accordingly.

Look at someone like the New England Coffee House in Stow-on-the-Wold who do this and really use it to differentiate themselves. It's really hard for me not to buy into their ethos, and really sets a place apart from the chains and other Independents

When I last visited Harvest Moon, in December, coffee was well made but let down by inferior beans (long dated). That's when she told me the owners were going to begin roasting their own. Despite its size and tourist popularity, Chester is a bit of a desert when it comes to 3rd wave coffee.

Hi Systemic Kid, sorry only just seen your last post. Your coffee taste buds are probably a lot more developed than mine, but the flat white I had was pretty good in comparison to other offerings, I generally add sugar but tried without on this occasion and it was sweet enough. I keep meaning to try The Baristas on Watergate Street but haven't got around to it yet (any view on this?). I don't get into town often, I'm either in work or up a mountain in my leisure time, but every time I do go into town it feels like a chain has opened another branch :( so anything a bit different with an increase in quality seems movement in the right direction. Be interesting to find out how you find your next visit.

Hi Systemic Kid, sorry only just seen your last post. Your coffee taste buds are probably a lot more developed than mine, but the flat white I had was pretty good in comparison to other offerings, I generally add sugar but tried without on this occasion and it was sweet enough. I keep meaning to try The Baristas on Watergate Street but haven't got around to it yet (any view on this?). I don't get into town often, I'm either in work or up a mountain in my leisure time, but every time I do go into town it feels like a chain has opened another branch :( so anything a bit different with an increase in quality seems movement in the right direction. Be interesting to find out how you find your next visit.

I've visited the baristas a couple of times , seem to know what they are doing .

There were using a very light roasted hasbean when I was in .

The tasting notes on the board said like fighting with a lemon in your mouth, they weren't wrong

Gary d you would have loved it .....

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I'd suggest Southsea Coffee be added to this list.

They're in Osborne Road, Southsea and it's a great little independent place. Use Hasbean Jailbreak as their regular espresso blend, which they serve really well. The food is excellent too. Thoroughly recommended.

Link

Chris - Twitter - Website

Modded Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Super Jolly and a kitchen full of other coffee related equipment

Only just joined so sorry if I've missed something, but how can you have a UK coffee map without Colonna and Small's...?

Recently took home 3 competition wins at the SCAE competitions at the London Coffee Festival. 6 different beans at any given time, 3 espresso with tasting notes for espresso/flat white, and 3 filter made on either siphon, aeropress, or clever dripper. Also a range of cold brews made with a drip tower. Beans constantly rotate, usually weekly. Almost always single origin.

Colonna & Small's

6 Chapel Row

Bath

BA1 1HN

I also recommend adding a couple from Bristol

Full Court Press

59 Broad Street

Bristol

BS1 2EJ

Didn't You Do Well

20 Park Row

Bristol

BS15LJ

Both shops run by super friendly people. Didn't You Do Well currently doing the amazingly-named guest blend for Has Bean (Psyduck) :).

Also found this gem on a random visit to Stratford-upon-Avon

Box Brownie Coffee

20 Henley Street

Stratford-upon-Avon

CV37 6QW

Hi,

Would recommend adding to the map Rave Coffee Roasters

Unit 7, Stirling Works, Love Lane, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England GL7 1YG

Recently started buying coffee from them and very impressed and they've got a coffee set up on site.

Great place to grab a coffee whilst deciding which beans to purchase to take home.

Hi JP,

Rave are one of the site sponsors here. They're pretty well known!

Modded Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Super Jolly and a kitchen full of other coffee related equipment

Hi JP,

Rave are one of the site sponsors here. They're pretty well known!

I didn't think they were a sponsor? Not that it makes a difference to the recommendation

I was sure I'd seen a Rave banner. I must be going mad - it's not unheard of. I'm also amazed that Rave weren't already listed!

Definitely worth adding bean and bud, commercial St, Harrogate - rotating range of beans from various UK roasters, plus wonderfully friendly staff/owners.

Whilst we're talking about northern places, I've got to add Coffee Culture in York. It's a lovely place with 3 floors and there's a really good selection of coffees (and cake!), especially the cafetiere range.

Zappi's

St Michael Street

Oxford

The Natural Bread Company

29 Little Clarendon Street

Oxford

Both pretty damn good coffee shops. Zappi's probably has the best coffee in Oxford. But saying that, I've only been to TNBC once, and it was very good.

There's also Brew, which looks amazing but I've yet to go.

La Pavoni Europiccola, Gaggia Classic, Super Jolly, Porlex, 1.5L double-walled steel cafetiere, siphon filter, Motta tamper

Hi all,

here are a couple of suggestions for the SW.

Exeter:

Devon Coffee Company

Boston Tea House

Exploding Bakery

Crediton Coffee.

Cheers

J

Izzo Alex II, bottomless portafilter. Iberital MC2, Espresso Gear Attento Click Tamping Mat, knock tamper

My favourite

GIRO

2 High Street

Esher

Surrey

KT10 9RT

They're passionate about their coffee and cycling, great cakes too!

Click here for a growing UK coffee map, highlighting cafes and roasters of note, with contributions from members on TMC and CoffeeGeek

Do you have a cafe to recommend but would like assistance adding it here?

Post the details below and we'll make it happen for you.

Apologies if the answer is elsewhere on the thread but when I click on the link I can't get beyond a map of London. I'd be grateful for the customary forum help.:act-up:

Coffee beans by HasBean

Bold Street Coffee

89 Bold St,

Liverpool

L1 4HF

Slayer One Group ; Versalab M3/4