Coffee Forums banner

Boiler Insulation

11K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  DRAXXMENVONE 
#1 ·
Evening all. Recently bought a Silvia and Rocky combo, so far so good. One thing I've read in my (exhaustive) research before buying was boiler and group head insulation. I tend to leave it on all day as I often work from home. I know you can buy the kit from PIDSilvia but it's pricey and was wondering if anyone else has done the mod themselves and has found a better value alternative. I've already ebay'd and googled but so far it's either not quite right, too expensive or they want to sell you enough to carpet your house !

Any pointers would be gratefully received

Cheers

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, sorry I cannot help with your specific question, however your posting is making me wonder about the usefulness of boiler insulation.

I thought PIDSilvia were selling the insulation to protect the internally mounted PID and no other specific reason.

My limited experience and observations tell me that the main reason for temperature instability during a shot is due to the temperature of the water entering the boiler and insulation would not help with that. Or would it?

Why do you think insulation would help?

#3 ·
I wasn't aware that PIDSilvia were selling the insulation kit to protect the internal PID, that is new info to me but it does make sense I guess. I totally accept your point about temp fluctuation, insulation may help, it may not, however for me it's more an energy wastage issue. As I mentioned, I often have the machine on all day so insulation will hopefully stop the boiler having to kick in as often, thus saving me money on elec bills. The main reason I am after a more cost effective solution to the PIDSilvia kit is that, at anywhere between $30-50 plus shipping it will take a loooong time to recover that cost based on the potential energy savings, probably many years.

Since posting this I have found a few more articles (including on this forum) around insulation, types, projects that people have done etc. so have some ideas but please people, if you have some experience or info that you can share it will be gratefully received.

Thanks all
:)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a late night espresso yesterday and started googling about Silvia boiler insulation, there are OEM insulation sheets from the v5 available on ebay, but I could only find US based sellers and the cost with postage was more than 60 USD, so not really worth it IMO. This morning I went to the shop and bought a silicone baking sheet, measured the boiler, cut and placed two layers around it, secured with a cable tie, the silicone is rated to 230 °C so should easily cope with the 140 °C max. when steaming with the PID. The cost was less than 7 euro.
:p

Wonder how long will this last and how will the PID cope with it. The top of the boiler is not insulated to provide heat for the cup tray.

Rectangle Wood Material property Font Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid Yellow Gas

Attachments

#10 ·
So far so good, had her on for 16 hours yesterday, monitoring the temperature graph in the meBarista app and it definitely decreases the drop in temperature when pulling a shot, before it would drop from the set 105 Celsius to 96-97, now it drops to 101-102 Celsius. I've added a single layer top cover to the boiler today, sitting there just lightly. I didn't change the PID parameters but I had to lower the so-called Pro active percentage (with how much power will the heating element kick-in after pressing the brew button), from 36% to 30%, because it was overshooting the set temperature.

#12 ·
Hey folks. I think I'm going to attempt a DIY insulation job on my 2015 to see if there's any improvement in energy efficiency. I've found what I'm sure is the closest thing to what the kits are made of at a fraction of the price here https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F230688253972 The American kit uses 1/4 inch thickness which would equate to the 6mm here. Just wondering if anyone who had the kit or had made a successful DIY could scan the shape for other folks to use as a template?

#17 ·
DRAXXMENVONE said:
Hey folks. I've bought the foam and was about to install it then I read this http://www.pidsilvia.com/insulation.htm

it says that insulation should only be fitted on a Silvia with a PID. I've just got a standard 2015 model. Can't imagine insulation would damage anything but wonder if adding insulation will negatively affect the brewing temperature. Anyone got any thoughts?
My guess is it relates to points 9 & 10 on the linky you posted.

#19 ·
So I'm a month in after installing the insulation and I can confirm in terms of energy consumption, we are talking fairly minimal savings on electricity. On average I was using 6.94kwh per month without insulation and am now using 5.33kwh per month with it installed. That being said I tend to only make more than one coffee at the weekend. If it was being used multiple times daily I think the savings would be more apparent. Only observation but the boiler seems to achieve heat between shots quicker than it used to but again, purely observational. Am I glad I did it? Yes, it was fun. Will it save the planet? Maybe one baby dolphin will be saved at best over the course of the machine's lifespan. Rough calculations indicate that the insulation that cost £6 will take two years to see a return on investment!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.