Glenn

Best Price for a Gaggia Classic

From what I read, issue is that the new (2015 on) version uses poor internals, so looks good on the outside, but no 3-way valve, less serviceability, more plastic parts instead of metal. Best avoided.

What's the going price for a used Classic? There's lots on ebay, gumtree, facebook but it's hard to know which deal to go for.

What's the going price for a used Classic? There's lots on ebay, gumtree, facebook but it's hard to know which deal to go for.
£120-£150 or £170 plus for one with a PID. Best bet would be to pick one up on here as then you'll know it's been looked after

Lelit Bianca PL162T / SGP

£120-£150 or £170 plus for one with a PID. Best bet would be to pick one up on here as then you'll know it's been looked after

Thanks cloughy, I'll keep an eye out for when one comes up :)

Thanks cloughy, I'll keep an eye out for when one comes up :)
@gaggiamanualservice.com on here is a regular trusted source of serviced used gaggia classics.....might be worth an ask Edited by jj-x-ray

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Hey there all,

I am about to buy my first Gaggia Classic and I am obviously a newbie, so would like to ask for some advices. It is Gaggia Classic, manufactured in Italy (model Q96162) together with gaggia grinder (photo), price for both is 150€. So my question is if this is reliable model, what should I look after before buying it, which part of the machine are sensitive and tend to cause some problems in future. In the ad is writtten that steam wand should be replaced, so I am planing to get rancilio silvia.

Any tips, advices about these two products are welcome and thank you in advance for your help!

5525958973.jpg

Hey there all,

I am about to buy my first Gaggia Classic and I am obviously a newbie, so would like to ask for some advices. It is Gaggia Classic, manufactured in Italy (model Q96162) together with gaggia grinder (photo), price for both is 150€.

I think the Q96162 was a model sold in Australia, but it looks like the genuine original model. If it all works OK and the steam wand doesn't drip (that's €50 just for the part) then the price is fairly typical. I'm not sure what the steam wand is doing off the machine in the photo. A Sylvia steam wand is nice for frothers but not essential.

You'll want to replace the grinder, but at least you'll have coffee. It obviously helps to know if it's been descaled regularly.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Hey there all,

I am about to buy my first Gaggia Classic and I am obviously a newbie, so would like to ask for some advices. It is Gaggia Classic, manufactured in Italy (model Q96162) together with gaggia grinder (photo), price for both is 150€. So my question is if this is reliable model, what should I look after before buying it, which part of the machine are sensitive and tend to cause some problems in future. In the ad is writtten that steam wand should be replaced, so I am planing to get rancilio silvia.

Any tips, advices about these two products are welcome and thank you in advance for your help!

I am a little curious why the steam arm is disconnected despite the wording of the advert saying it should be replaced, it is simply a bit of bent stainless steel pipe and not likely to be a problem in itself, maybe there is an issue ahead of the arms connection (steam valve for example), replacing the pipe/arm will not unblock or fix such a problem. Maybe you should ask the buyer to be more descriptive of the reason they think it should be replaced? Opening the steam valve without the arm will still produce the steam - ask the seller if that can be done?

The machine looks identical to the - new - Classic I bought in the UK back in 2002, and it is still going strong in my daughters hands. It has had the odd bit replaced but shows how 'maintainable' they are.

The tank silicone pipework is still in place, as is the SS exhaust from the OPValve. Another item that might need addressing on an older machine is replacement of the group gasket.

The grinder will be fine for a starting point, you can obviously buy better, but it will get you going I am sure. Worry about the upgrade later.

Maybe you should ask the buyer to be more descriptive of the reason they think it should be replaced? Opening the steam valve without the arm will still produce the steam - ask the seller if that can be done?

The seller assured me it was regularly descaled and that the steam valve works fine, but I am going to test it myself before buying, opening the steam valve... I am also a little suspicious about the disconnected steam wand, maybe there was a dripping problem like les24preludes mentioned and owner wanted to change the steam valve but gave up?

I am wondering if there is an elegant test to find out about potential dripping errors when steam arm is disconnected and steam valve is open? Just to make sure I won't have to invest 50€ in buying new steam valve right away.

About the grider I will use it to practice my first steps and later as advised consider an upgrade.

The seller assured me it was regularly descaled and that the steam valve works fine, but I am going to test it myself before buying, opening the steam valve... I am also a little suspicious about the disconnected steam wand, maybe there was a dripping problem like les24preludes mentioned and owner wanted to change the steam valve but gave up?

I am wondering if there is an elegant test to find out about potential dripping errors when steam arm is disconnected and steam valve is open? Just to make sure I won't have to invest 50€ in buying new steam valve right away.

About the grider I will use it to practice my first steps and later as advised consider an upgrade.

The grinder is fairly easy to convert to stepless which improves it greatly tough it'll still suffer some retention that the finger guard makes difficult to clear.

While it's passing strange, I wouldn't be too worried about the steam arm being disconnected. You'll be able to see if the sywam valve leaks either way.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Does anyone know what's the best way to get a good deal on the 2019 Gaggia classic?

Gaggia direct seems to have it for £399 which is very steep!

I am assuming you can't really buy the pre-Phillips models unless it's second hand. Any other place I should be looking at besides the sales section in this forum & gumtree / ebay?

Seriously just but the one from @Hasiits in lovely condition and has the right upgrades and a tamper, he is very reliable as well

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

On 12/09/2019 at 15:06, Flamingo said:

Does anyone know what's the best way to get a good deal on the 2019 Gaggia classic?

Gaggia direct seems to have it for £399 which is very steep!

I am assuming you can't really buy the pre-Phillips models unless it's second hand. Any other place I should be looking at besides the sales section in this forum & gumtree / ebay?

I picked one up a few weeks ago for £349 from Gaggia outlet in Castleford

Posted (edited)
On 24/07/2018 at 10:20, cloughy said:

£120-£150 or £170 plus for one with a PID. Best bet would be to pick one up on here as then you'll know it's been looked after emoji1303.png

A few weeks back on eBay pre-2015 ones were consistently going for 175-225, with some of the earliest (late 90s to early 00s) going for 250+. I'm guessing it's all the people stuck at home and wanting some espresso (it's why I did at least!).

Wish I'd come across this place sooner as I'd have saved a bunch of cash that could be going on a PID, upgraded hardware and learnt so much more before buying!

Edited by FlatWhitey

Yeah, used Gaggia prices have shot up of late. It's annoying. My poor Baby needs new clothes (that 20 year old plastic is not in good condition, and nice steel is the way to go).

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

4 hours ago, allikat said:

Yeah, used Gaggia prices have shot up of late. It's annoying. My poor Baby needs new clothes (that 20 year old plastic is not in good condition, and nice steel is the way to go).

I saw a used Classic on gumtree in Bath a two days ago for 100 quid.   Still there.👍

On 03/05/2020 at 00:37, Agentb said:

I saw a used Classic on gumtree in Bath a two days ago for 100 quid.   Still there.👍

Err no it's not. Tried to buy it myself the conversation went like this .

Messaged the chap yesterday morning.

07:59 Me - Hi is the gaggia classic still for sale if so would you be willing to post it?

08:52 him- Where to.

10:13 Me- Suffolk uk

12:49 Me (by text) any update yo my request to post.

20:29 Me- Im surprised you haven't got back to me on this - offered £140 for Machine, Portsafilter Gauge (he was also selling for £15) and P&P

21:38 - Him Said something strange was happening with his communication, and asked how I would pay and he'd ship by Hermes.

21:40 Me Told him that Id pay into his bank or via PayPal his choice, but told him I wanted somebody else other than Hermes.

21:41 him - Asked for my Address

21:43 Me -sent him my address and asked him to look at other shipping companies.- 

21:44 Him - Said he would look past other shipping and contact me in the morning, asked for my address again.

21:44 Me - told him address on previous message.

TODAY 

0835.Him - offered to sent via Parcelforce and asked me to pay via Bank Transfer and offered to send his account details.

08:41 Me - Told him i was happy with Parcelforce and to send over his account details for payment, Also asked for his full name and address for bank verification purposed. 

Now by this point, I'd thought I'd got the machine but alas no. Had an immediate response from him saying SORRY, I THINK ITS SOLD WITH SOME OF THE OTHER STUFF. 

Go figure. 

• Confused 1

Classic scammer. Good on you for asking for verification details, a lot of people wouldn't. Glad I got mine when I did. Needed a lot of work but for what I paid for the base machine and the replacement parts and upgrades I've done okay. For what it's worth, when things settle down I reckon there'll be a few kicking around for less than people paid for them as many will never bother putting the effort in to get them working properly.

• Like 1

Well done, walk away - another will be along shortly... Always a problem on ebay gumtree etc when dealing with the unreliable fake sellers. A lot to be said for face to face transactions.  👍