Glenn

Best Price for a Gaggia Classic

I bought mine from Amazon Warehouse - 'used - Good' and it was in mint condition. It was only the box which was slightly damaged.

I paid the grand total of £93.50 which I was VERY happy with!

Same here. Almost spent the same in accessories since it arrived two weeks ago, plus 2 grinders :)

The whole 'Amazon warehouse' thing is just a bit of a sales tactic though, they are usually brand new good stock. You tend to see the same items on their all the time. Still nice though.

Gaggia Classic with OPV Mod @ 9 Bar + Silvia Steam Wand + 18g VST basket| Rancilio Rocky Grinder| Porlex Hand Grinder | Vintage De Ve grinder | HD Tamper | Rattleware Shotpot | Aeropress | Various French Press's, Moka pots and no doubt other stuff I will end up buying since finding this forum...

Hi everybody, my first post here, I am about to buy a secondhand Classic from ebay UK and I was wondering if I should worry about the fact that the new ones (Philips RI8161/40) are made by Phillips and the older ones by Gaggia 74507 or 74507bcn...

In your experience, do they last a few good years? Should I try to get the older? I read somewhere that there are some small differences.

Which would be more reliable? Newer=better?

Finally is 85 pounds a good price for a 2-3 year old machine (probably still Gaggia) in excellent (he says) condition?

Will I taste a lot of difference changing from DeLonghi EC155 model that is getting tired?

Thanx for any insights

Isomac TEA II, Rossi RR45

Philips took over Gagggia in 2009 so a 2/3 year old one is Philips. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - solenoid is smaller on the new ones. Price depends on condition and maintenance - has it been descaled and backflushed - boiler purged after steaming. If so, £80.00 is OK but not a stonking bargain. As for getting better coffee - machine needs to be paired to a decent grinder and the use of freshly roasted beans.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Second systemic kid, so vital to get the grinder right, but IMHO the older classics are better, the components are better made including the solenoid and the steam valve, however the new one will come with a warranty and s far people on here have found the amazon ones a great deal to be had

AKA Toffee chips

Philips took over Gagggia in 2009 so a 2/3 year old one is Philips. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - solenoid is smaller on the new ones. Price depends on condition and maintenance - has it been descaled and backflushed - boiler purged after steaming. If so, £80.00 is OK but not a stonking bargain. As for getting better coffee - machine needs to be paired to a decent grinder and the use of freshly roasted beans.

Thank you both for reply.

The descaling and backflushing worries me about this machine, because he doesn't even have the blind basket...and that's a bad sign to me about maintenance...

Could a negligent owner ruin the Classic, if he didn't flush/descale?

If it doesn't leak and works "great" as he says, can I descale/backflush and have a good machine?

For grinder I want to get Delonghi KG79, Is there something better than that in $$ range?

cheers

Machine wise I is not everyone's recommendation o back flush and descale, you can descale, take of the shower screen, small cross head screw, tharen remove the group plate which is two hex bolts, this allows you o fully clean the group which essentially is what back flushing does, so just because it has by ever been back flushed does not mean the machine is any less good.

Grinder wise I would try to push the boat out as the one you are looking at is probably not p to the job, there are plenty of second hand grinders out there and they pop p on here a lot.

AKA Toffee chips

I bought mine from Amazon Warehouse - 'used - Good' and it was in mint condition. It was only the box which was slightly damaged.

I paid the grand total of £93.50 which I was VERY happy with!

Where did you find this on Amazon UK? They have some used, but 130 pounds?

Link, still available?

TIA

PS. THANK YOU Coffechap, I will search the F/S forum

Just picked this up for £169.99 on Amazon. Would have gone for a used version, but I thought the 2 year guarantee was worth it! Loving it so far.

Nice one, I'll have a look, thinking of my first espresso machine. Decent price.

Same here. Almost spent the same in accessories since it arrived two weeks ago, plus 2 grinders :)

The whole 'Amazon warehouse' thing is just a bit of a sales tactic though, they are usually brand new good stock. You tend to see the same items on their all the time. Still nice though.

Very tempting to get this used and save some money - or peace of mind from amazon.

I guess second hand is best with a PID pre-installed? but that must be much more expensive?

Anyway, I still need a grinder - and I'm pretty happy with french press and turkish at home for now :act-up:

From what little I've read, a PID on a classic is a lot of money for little benefit. A few responses to this idea have been to save your money and spend it on a better machine in the first place.

I've only just started out on this journey myself though, so take my comment with a pinch of salt until some knowledgable soul comes along.

For info I bought one of these Amazon Warehouse Classics this week. It turned up yesterday. The box had been opened and resealed but the machine itself was immaculate, still with the cellophane intact over the chrome parts. It also came with standard baskets rather than the pressurised device they sometimes supply.

However, when setting it up I noticed that the decompression duct pipe was missing. I contacted Amazon hoping they'd just send a pipe out, but was informed that they don't ship out missing parts and, since it was a Warehouse purchase, they wouldn't ship out a replacement machine either – I could either return the whole thing for a refund or just suck it up and buy a replacement pipe myself.

I've decided that it's worth the six or seven quid that a pipe costs from eBay not to have to repackage the machine and lug it into work to be collected by a courier. I'm trying to persuade Amazon that they really ought to refund me the cost of the replacement part, but I don't hold out much hope.

Just something to bear in mind if you're thinking about ordering from Amazon Warehouse.

Follow up to my follow up: that Amazon Warehouse Classic turned out to be a total lemon. As well as the missing part the build quality was absolutely shocking and the solenoid failed the second time I tried to use the machine. It's currently winging its way back to Amazon, and I'm left having serious doubts about Gaggias in general.

Crumbs. I think you've been very unlucky. I know 3 people who've had warehouse Classics and they've all been brand new and perfect....

I'm in the same boat with regard looking at ebay and amazon for a classic.

I'm more inclined to go for a well maintained second hand model. I have a gaggia mdf and the classic is to upgrade from an old evolution.

My thoughts so far are to:

1. Get a good 2nd hand classic.

2. Clean and descale

3. Test pressure (i've just assembled a portafilter guage for under a tenner) and adjust opv

4. Swap wand for silvia one.

5. Get bottomless portafilter

6. Practice practice practice

Am I missing anything?

and would I be better getting someone to mod existing portafilter?

Managed to get very good results with the evolution and hoping I can push it a bit with a classic.

Oracle.

RED Gaggia Classic with OPV adjusted and Silvia wand added, Gaggia MDF grinder (50mm burrs) with stepless mod, 58mm naked portafilter and Made-by-knock 58mm simple tamper, Wilfa Grinder, Aeropress with Kaffeologie S-filter, THE BEAST: Not yet RED Massive Titan 84mm burrset Gaggia MD-85 in repair...

Scales are a must if you haven't any. Check it comes with a non pressurised basket.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I'm in the same boat with regard looking at ebay and amazon for a classic.

I'm more inclined to go for a well maintained second hand model. I have a gaggia mdf and the classic is to upgrade from an old evolution.

My thoughts so far are to:

1. Get a good 2nd hand classic.

2. Clean and descale

3. Test pressure (i've just assembled a portafilter guage for under a tenner) and adjust opv

4. Swap wand for silvia one.

5. Get bottomless portafilter

6. Practice practice practice

Am I missing anything?

and would I be better getting someone to mod existing portafilter?

Managed to get very good results with the evolution and hoping I can push it a bit with a classic.

Oracle.

A grinder capable of espresso grind ...

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hi all..

Mine was new from Amazon. It was brand new untouched, all working, still had all it's bits wrapped and/or with plastic film covering them and the box was still properly sealed.

It was, and still is perfect in every way.

I'd recommend anyone wanting a brand new one to take advantage of the price and buy one

Bri … :)

Gaggia Classic - OPV mod and Rancilio steam wand.

Naked portafilter and non-pressurised baskets.

Eureka Mignon Mk2 grinder, in black.

Motta and Pavoni 58mm tamper's, and TORR 58.4mm Titan Goldfinger tamper.

And of course RAVE beans!!! Just call me Bri :)