Sign in to follow this  
jbg

grinder recommendations refurbished?

Complete novice just bought a classic and trying to choose a grinder.

I'm making one or two shots a day mostly.

A bit of a perfectionist, looking for something that is easy to use ie doesn't make too much mess or waste coffee (will brush it out each shot etc) I don't want anything that will need upgrading if/when I get a better machine.

Seems to be between the MC2 and the Eureka though it looks like the Eureka is much better from reviews

Any suggestions on a refurbished machine like best places to get one? could do without spending more than £200

Any advice welcome

If you do go for a better machine, that in itself says you'll be looking to improve the whole espresso making experience, but that doesn't sit well with you not wanting to upgrade the grinder. I very nearly opted for the MC2 but preferred to jump straight to the used commercial for just a bit more, as many others have done. But they are messy and you have to faff about to get the same weight of grinds out that you put in by way of beans.

Ultimately, for the leap in espresso quality many feel it's worth it, but if you're looking to keep things simple, without mess, then your grinder options seem limited, with the Iberital MC2 always being mentioned as a good upgrade without getting into it all too deeply. It's often partnered with the classic, which is also a thumbs up.

However, when I was looking for a few weeks, I found the MC2 either gets snapped up used for 70 to 80 quid or you have to buy new, which is nearly double. £118 + VAT and delivery was the cheapest about. Reconditioned is more likely to apply to heavy use grinders, and even then it may just have been a new set of burrs and a good clean.

Shaun