beedj

Cherub - First Impressions

Having seen those pics, I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on one. Very poor for something that cost 650 notes IMO

Do remember, the next nearest machine costs about 400 quid more. It may cost 650 notes but for this level of spec that's a bargain. A bit like a dacia sandero being expensive in general at £5000 but still crazy cheap for a car. It's all about perspective.

For £1000 I wouldn't accept this machines oddities.. But at this price... I'm willing to accept a bit of hand built eccentricity

When set up, this is still a visually stunning machine and will be capable of superb results

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

Do remember, the next nearest machine costs about 400 quid more. It may cost 650 notes but for this level of spec that's a bargain. A bit like a dacia sandero being expensive in general at £5000 but still crazy cheap for a car. It's all about perspective.

For £1000 I wouldn't accept this machines oddities.. But at this price... I'm willing to accept a bit of hand built eccentricity

When set up, this is still a visually stunning machine and will be capable of superb results

Fair enough. My view is that the machines shouldn't be going out of the factory if they're not right. There's no excuse for re-designing a product but doing it poorly. It wouldn't cost them any more to do it right than it is to do it wrong. Would annoy the hell out of me if things didn't fit or were a compromise due to poor design.

Each to their own though and if you can live with it then fair enough, me I'd be speaking to the retailer or Francino about it

I may enquire about the drip tray... It's really my main bugbear

All they need to do, was cut the hole bigger in the drip tray cover.

Problem solved

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

They have obviously tried to reduce the number of parts they're producing, so the drip tray from the Piccino fits (badly).

I'd contact them and express your thoughts - they are usually very open to user input.

Michael

Fun in a Cup Coffee Training

I agree Michael, this is obviously a tray from another machine.

All it needs to fix it, is for the hole under the pressure exhaust to be made a bit longer, problem solved!

If it comes to it, I may just do that myself with a drummel. Or attach a small hose to the end which will tuck down into the hole.

On the plus.. The drip tray is a decent size

Fair enough. My view is that the machines shouldn't be going out of the factory if they're not right. There's no excuse for re-designing a product but doing it poorly. It wouldn't cost them any more to do it right than it is to do it wrong. Would annoy the hell out of me if things didn't fit or were a compromise due to poor design.

Each to their own though and if you can live with it then fair enough, me I'd be speaking to the retailer or Francino about it

That new drip tray doesn't look right, it looks like you'd struggle to fit a 8oz cup under the PF without it falling off.

Coffee making stuff :coffee:

DSC_0002.jpg

The drip tray on the silver version has the hole aligned directly under the pressure exhaust and, because it curves out, gives a little more space for shot glass, it's just far too shallow.

Fracino Cherub, Quamar M80E, VST 18g, ESPRO Calibrated Tamper.

Yeah, that's a much better design... Were it not for it being too shallow

My photo exaggerates it a little.. It's easy to get a cup under it and its secure... It's not helped by the fact the double spouts on the included PF sit quite far back. I may see about changing them to ones like my gaggia had.

But yes I can see your drip tray is generally a better designed item

Shrink,

It would be interesting to hear what Fracino had to say about it. How does it fair in use?

Fracino Cherub, Quamar M80E, VST 18g, ESPRO Calibrated Tamper.

It looks like the spouts are on backwards, hence they look too close to the edge of the drip tray.

Turn them around 180 degrees

They will then be positioned in the middle

fracinopf.jpg

However, for other machines this would be the correct way around (eg those that have a bigger drip tray)

Edited by Glenn

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Will they still be tight if I rotate them though? I'm switching to a naked pf anyway

They should be, but you may need to use tape thread (PTFE tape) if screw on.

Are the spouts not breakaway spouts?

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Well they took a firm tamp so I assume they are screw on. Will check tomorrow.

Defo screw ons. They might be difficult to get off - most likely need to pop them in a vice!

Michael

Fun in a Cup Coffee Training

Turning the spouts around would give you more room but bear in mind it would affect how the portafilter sits when placed on a work top (if this is a concern). The portafilter has an angled handle which creates a tripod with the spouts when on a work top. This is designed to ensure the filter basket is level on the worktop for dosing and tamping.

Compak K3 Touch, Fracino Cherub, VST 15g & 18g filter baskets, Reg Barber Tamper (58.4mm flat and 58mm c-flat)

Baratza Virtuoso with Esatto attachment, Hario Buono, V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Aeropress, Porlex Mini

Yeah, I'd be tempted to persevere until you get a naked PF. And also take it up with Fracino. It looks to me if you switch the spouts round there might not be much room at the back

Home - Quickmill Veloce Prototype with IMS Shower | EK43 | Torr Blackwood Trapez Goldfinger | IMS 22g Basket

Work - Quickmill Andreja Premium | Nuova Simonelli Oscar | Gaggia Classic DIY PID mod with Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand

Work - Mazzer Super Jolly (Doser) | Anfim Super Best | VST 18g Basket | Torr Black Metal Goldfinger handle with Standard Flat base

Brewed - OE Lido | Porlex Mini | Aeropress | V60-01 | Chemex 10 cup

Have emailed fracino re: drip tray

One of the problems with getting an early model of the "improved" design. Maybe they've rushed it out but I'm sure these issues will be addressed

I'm sure too. Given a night to get over the few little things that bugged me. I'm left with a feeling of pride over a gorgeous machine.

Not that I can make a decent drink yet!

I'm sure too. Given a night to get over the few little things that bugged me. I'm left with a feeling of pride over a gorgeous machine.

Not that I can make a decent drink yet!

Niggles aside, I think they look really nice..

Can't wait to get mine soon

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Oh it's still a great machine.. And having tuned in my grind, I'm getting good results now. Started off sour, then went bitter, now it's pretty spot on. When you know the machine temp is consistent, it makes sorting your grind much much easier.

Another observation. When new, the portafilter would hardly turn and at lock, was at about 7 o clock. Now at 6 it started leaking a little and full lock is now at about 5 o clock. I guess the gasket beds in and compresses from new.

I am still struggling on with the dialling in!!!!

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Is there any way (out of the box) to check what the temperature is in the boiler? or at the group?

(short of using your own thermometer)

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

The steaming wand is pretty good and gets up to temperature very quickly. I'm going to use the 2 tip steam hole tomorrow to see how that goes.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Let me know how you get on. The steam power in the cherub is brutal and the 4 tip is hard to wrangle.

I may end up buying the two hole tip