just interested in what people are into right now..

No single origins, just espresso blends thx

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Square Mile's Red Brick

Compak K3 Touch, Fracino Cherub, VST 15g & 18g filter baskets, Reg Barber Tamper (58.4mm flat and 58mm c-flat)

Baratza Virtuoso with Esatto attachment, Hario Buono, V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, Aeropress, Porlex Mini

Workshop Cult of Done Espresso Blend. Sooo tasty!

Maybe Has Bean 'guest espresso/hangover cure' blends could be interesting. 70 odd quid for an annual monthly subscription

@garydyke1

My two 'local' favourite current blends from Butterworth's http://www.butterworthandson.co.uk.

Summer Games: 33% Peru San Jorge - Fully Washed 33% Ethiopia Yirgacheffe - Fully Washed 33% Sumatra Wahana - Natural Process

The Sumatra is quite funky and almost takes over, but a complex fruity mouthful

Winter Blend: 50% Sumatra Wahana Natural 25% Cuba Serrano 25% Java Jampit

Rich, smoky, chocolatey....

Don't know which I like best!

Interesting hearing views on Has Bean elsewhere on the forum ..... I couldn't get on with any of these on my setup....... Tried plenty..... Just goes to show how personal coffees, equipment and tastes really can be...... Still, plenty to go round for all:)

Alex Duetto Mk 4. Della Corte badged Mahlkonig K30 ES. Mahlkonig Home Vario. Aeropress. Hario Cold Brew.

Maybe Has Bean 'guest espresso/hangover cure' blends could be interesting. 70 odd quid for an annual monthly subscription

yeah saw that posted today - sounds an interesting idea, pretty leftfield!

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Square Mile's Red Brick

I've heard Square Mile roast pretty light - is that the case with Red Brick?

Any tasting notes you want to share would be great thx

Andy

I've heard Square Mile roast pretty light - is that the case with Red Brick?

Any tasting notes you want to share would be great thx

Fairly new to this so simple tasting notes: big taste for me was toasted marshmallows (I don't like toasted Marshmallows but I loved a coffee that reminded me of them!). It changes fairly regularly but that's the current blend, sweet and sticky. I usually have mine in milk (cortados and flat whites) but occasionally just as espresso. Seems to be about the same level of roast as Hasbean but as a blend you get more balance so not too acidic despite the roast.

Expobar DB PID, OE Pharos, OE Lido & Torr 58.4 plan2convex

So far for me... Extract roasters original espresso blend is working for me. But then everything else I've tried has been single origin. The cachoeira from has bean was superb in a latte

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

Fairly new to this so simple tasting notes: big taste for me was toasted marshmallows (I don't like toasted Marshmallows but I loved a coffee that reminded me of them!). It changes fairly regularly but that's the current blend, sweet and sticky. I usually have mine in milk (cortados and flat whites) but occasionally just as espresso. Seems to be about the same level of roast as Hasbean but as a blend you get more balance so not too acidic despite the roast.

Cool, just ordered a bag..sounds nice

Andy

Another vote for Coffee Bean Shop everyday espresso. I always come back to it.

Rancilio Silvia V3 with Auber PID, Eureka Mignon.

Got my red brick order through on tuesday (great overnight service from Square Mile).

First shot - 55 seconds! (adjust..)

Second shot - 55 seconds! (adjust..)

Third shot - 55 seconds (head scratch...)

Has taken about 3 days to dial back the grind - moved from micro setting E to R on the Vario from Hasbean Jabberwocky (seems like a lot)

Anyway, finally got a decent normale this afternoon

verdict - amazing!!

Truly the best espresso i've had for a long time (thanks for the tip red brickers!)

.. wonder why its taken so long to dial in though?? any thoughts?

Andy

ive found some lighter roasts seem to be very easy to grind, so they just break up very quickly and give a more coarse grind. When i went from happy donkeys beans to the hasbean stuff, i was miles off. They needed a much much finer grind to come out at the right speed. I'd guess its the same with the square mile.

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

must say, i do love the allpress redchurch blend too. Its used in a local shop here, and i always love the drinks that come out of there. Its a darker, richer more chocolatey tasting shot than the extract blend, but i do like it.

I'm favouring hasbean as my choice for home brewing though. I like their service, their approach, and i've had some amazing drinks from their single origins. I have on order a bag of jailbreak though, so i'll let you know what I think of that one.

must say, i do love the allpress redchurch blend too. Its used in a local shop here, and i always love the drinks that come out of there. Its a darker, richer more chocolatey tasting shot than the extract blend, but i do like it.

I'm favouring hasbean as my choice for home brewing though. I like their service, their approach, and i've had some amazing drinks from their single origins. I have on order a bag of jailbreak though, so i'll let you know what I think of that one.

Cheers shrink,

I've been working my way through hasbean for about 6 months, find their service to be excellent.

Jailbreak was really nice

Andy

hasbean are almost a no brainer for me.. i like their medium roasts. They have pretty much the cheapest postage rates around. I placed an order today at about 11am... it was posted today and i'll have it tomorrow morning. Its been that way for very order i've placed with them.

They seem to have their heads in the game :)

HasBean.

Been there too many times, but never again.

Be good if they actually roasted their beans...

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.

.....now I like that one. Speedy service though!.

Ron 

Ouch! :act-up:

Andy

I find Blake from Hasbean makes a lovely brew in a Moka pot - rich and earthy!

Yeah, quite liked Blake - probably their most traditional i reckon

Andy

Yeah, quite liked Blake - probably their most traditional i reckon

Don't get me started on Blake - the only beans I bought I had to give away because they were undrinkable.

They are supposed to be 'old school', but God knows what school Steve went to. If this is meant to reference to Italian espresso, it is a complete misunderstanding of that tradition. Much prefer Jailbreak, which I don't actually like, but at least it has integrity. Whereas Blake is just a patronising mess - the last version I had was tasted of rancid Christmas cake and mud.

Sorry. Rant over.

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.