Glenn

New Members - please read this first

Thanks for the great guide, I have been a home barista for a good few years and if coffee has taught me anything it's that there is always so much more to learn and understand.

My wife and I have recently moved from South Africa where the speciality coffe industry Has become relatively well established in the last 2-3 years and were a bit concerned about the coffee scene in Edinburgh. We have been pleasantly surprised, while not quite as developed there is a fantastic growing coffee culture!

Great guide!

Thank you very much for putting it together.

Hello, just joined the forum, wish i had found it earlier. I have just setup a mobile coffee van business and I have alot to learn! Hoping to get some snippets of wisdom and experience from all the coffee pros out there!!

Thanks, Jonny Sprigens

Bit of a shock to find I was the only one browsing this thread just now. Makes me think I've got to get a life. Just joined, having received a Gaggia Classic for my 15th Wedding Anniversary. In love with it (and my wife). Still using shop bought expresso coffee but intend to get a grinder at an early opportunity. (Negotiations with my wife will be necessary as space in kitchen is at a premium.) I don't want to spend more than she did on the Gaggia Classic although I understand that is easy enough to do. What are my options? Can somebody tell me what are the expensive components of a grinder? Is it the cones? Is it the timer? is it the grind fineness control? What do I strip out to get to the essentials?

Bit of a shock to find I was the only one browsing this thread just now. Makes me think I've got to get a life. Just joined, having received a Gaggia Classic for my 15th Wedding Anniversary. In love with it (and my wife). Still using shop bought expresso coffee but intend to get a grinder at an early opportunity. (Negotiations with my wife will be necessary as space in kitchen is at a premium.) I don't want to spend more than she did on the Gaggia Classic although I understand that is easy enough to do. What are my options? Can somebody tell me what are the expensive components of a grinder? Is it the cones? Is it the timer? is it the grind fineness control? What do I strip out to get to the essentials?

Hi Gorrion,

Congrats on your Wedding Anniversary :) and welcome here!

There's loads of advice on grinders in that section of the forum but I'm sure someone will be pleased to help if you can't find what you're after. Have a read-up then maybe pop a post up in that section!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

excellent guide glenn thanks

Edited by eddie57
spell

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

Great guide. Thank you.

Machine - Vesuvius. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Very helpful guide, thanks. Might be useful to do a similar guide for Grinders also?

Breville (Sage) Dual Boiler, Niche Zero, joey24dirt custom tamper

Macap MX

Aeropress

Very useful, now trying to learn how to use my Sage BE thanks.

Hello lidders and welcome :)

There is a good account of the 'white glove' service in a thread over in the Sage Forum. Maybe it may be of use :)

(I am not sure if it is available for all Sage machines, still makes interesting reading)!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband /