IGNORED

New Members - please read this first

Glenn

Just wanted to say "Hi" - new user here.

I was actually considering a MaraX and tracked back following DavecUK's excellent review. Thank you for this - it's a considered purchase and having this level of analysis is so so helpful.

However, it's already been an expensive forum for me 😄.  I've only been reading a day a have realised that I would benefit from a much better grinder than I had budgeted for and I need something like an Osmio Zero due to being cursed with Thames Valley hard water.  (349 mg/l CaCO₃ - I imagine If it was any harder calcium tablets would pour out when I turned the tap on).

Maybe I should put in for some more overtime.... 🤔

Cheers everyone 😃

@crazyp Welcome to the forum. It can seem expensive, but the equipment lasts a very long time (decades) and usually doesn't need much maintenance. So over the long term it's not as expensive as it might seem.

Now upgraditis.......that's a different thing entirely.

• Like 1

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum...

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi!

What setup would you recommend for £5k all-in?

My wife and I make ~8 lattes per day and need equipment that will last. Ideally something easy to use for both: I don't mind setting it all up, but would like the wife to be able to make a latte easily, a "set-and-forget" setup.

We currently have Oracle Touch and it just failed after 9 months.

Edited by igr

Hi there,

New to this forum so just wanted to say hello to you all. I drink a mix of pour over, espresso and latte drinks. Preference for medium / light roasts but I like like to experiment and learn.

I'm a former owner of a Sage Barista Express and recently upgraded to the Lelit Mara X / Eureka Specialita combo. V60 / Comandante C40 for pour over. Looking forward to learning more and contributing where I can.

Dave

@Dave135 welcome to the forum

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

great piece there thank you definitely food for thought. I’ve owned a La Pavoni lever machine in the past then went to a Jura bean to cup now I’m looking at the rancilio Silvia or the La Pavoni baretto but I can’t seem to find much on the la Pavoni is this better than than the rancilio , or are they on the same level? But I have just come across the Elba 1 which I’ve never herd of. I mean the Elba maybe too much just for domestic use ? Any advice or recommendations would be great.

thank you 

kris 

@Kris Welcome to the forum, hopefully members familiar with those machines (baretto and Elba 1) can help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I got a Gaggia Classic 2001 about six years ago.  I put on the brass DP with the small holes along with an IMS D249. This  required the centre hole of the DP to be reshaped in order for it to seat flat but the IMS still spurted from the sides so ended up going on top of the the original Gaggia SS. But still not a great solution.

I saw a reference to the DP's small holes messing with the flow and causing puck issues so decided to machine these out to 5mm whilst moving the centres inward. Flow rate now seems excessive and causing even worse edge channeling. Single shots seem to be things no longer possible.  

Has any one got experience of using puck screens?  Do they really work?  If so would they work in conjunction with a convex tamper?

• 1 month later...