Sign in to follow this  
HDAV

Basic grinder info

OK waiting for my Gaggia classic to arrive in the couriers big yellow van..............

Thinking grinders and have seen

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0865-iberital-mc2.html

http://www.myespresso.co.uk/product.php/268/gaggia-mdf-grinder/662ca5f343deaa5bfb01adf1413322f3

tempted to keep an eye out for the gaggia as it matches the Classic sort of.....(well fits on the base) or are there better ones?

And whats wrong with http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Tefal-GT203840/id-TEF-COF-GT203840-BK

Edited by HDAV

my advice.. if you can afford one, get a Rancilio Rocky

if you can't stretch to that, get an MC2 (just sold mine, but it was good, and really the minimum you'd want for an espresso grind).

cheapy whirly-blade is gonna cook your beans, chop them into a horrible irregular mess, and produce horrible espresso

save them for yer herbs and spices!

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

You'll make the move to another grinder quicker if you had an MDF...

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Yeah, agree with aphelion...I first looked at cheap grinders a.k.a kitchen spice grinders and soon realised that a dedicated burr grinder was needed...A few of us have acquired MC2's this Christmas (They can be difficult to use if changing grinds between french press and espresso!) on the whole though, not as scary as I first thought for espresso, and a lot easier to get in the right 'zone' for a decent extraction than what ive read....There's loads of advice on here to get on with to help..

Cheers

Gaggia Classic / Iberital MC2 doserless / HD tamper / Salter 1g NAWI :coffee:

The blade grinder cannot create a consistent grind that is needed for espresso, it creates many particles of different sizes so you get bad extractions. Lots of info on the web if you want to learn a bit more so I won't go into too much detail here.

The cheaper burr grinders often cannot grind fine enough for espresso, or aren't that well built.

The MC2 is built better and has a proven track record for grinding for espresso, I haven't owned one but there are many positive reviews.

It's also worth looking at some of the hand grinders, they are considerably cheaper than an MC2. Look at the Porlex.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Hi to all of you!

My first post here... so excited! :D I'm italian. Coffee addicted. Made with moka, at home. Espresso, at the bar. Finally, I decided to buy an espresso machine. And I decided: the Gaggia Classic. Despite the well known solenoid valve problem, I think I'm going to buy it. But I'd like to have a bean grinder, too! Is it so bad the Gaggia MDF? I'm on a budget of 200€ and here in Italy, strange to say, it's difficult to find some items, like, just to mention a few: iberital, breville, baratza, even rancilio rocky... If i'll have to buy one from foreign country, what kind of burr grinder would you suggest to me? Thanks in advance for your useful suggestion and sorry for my english. ;)

Hi and great English the MC2 seems the one at that budget and current €-£ means you might be better buying in the UK

my classic should arrive tomorrow so excited!