Pablo

Naked portafilter and new basket - some dvice please!

Want to give my Classic a Christmas present so I thought I'd treat it to a naked PF and a new basket.

Two places I've found the portafilters, Happydonkey and ebay:

1) http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/gagbotdom-gaggia-classic-bottomless-portafilter.html

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bottomless-Naked-Portafilter-Handle-Gaggia-Classic-Coffee-Machine-Commercial-/160932369572?pt=Coffee_Machines_Makers&hash=item25785114a4

I know the Happydonkey has been suggested here but anyone know about the ebay version?

Also would these PFs be as good as any or are cheap PFs cheaper for a reason?

For the basket, I thought I'd go for either a 17g La Marzocco or an 18g VST (I usually make double shots)

Here's the Marzocco:

http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/la-marzocco-basket-17g/p863

I know a lot of you here have VST baskets which seem to be twice the price. Would a VST:

a) Be a better choice than the Marzocco

b) Be suitable for the naked portafilters I've linked to?

Thanks

Edited by Pablo

The eBay ones are good quality and accept vst18 or 20g baskets . not used an LM basket but can vouch for VSTs being superb and worth the money

@garydyke1

Thanks gary. I read there was a group buy for VST baskets a while back; couldn't find the thread but I guess I've missed that. Any idea where I can pick up a bargain? Every penny counts at this time of year!! :)

Also I'm assuming that both ridged and ridgeless would be suitable but would the ridgeless be rattling around in the PF?

That Ebay PF. Why is there crema escaping over the top of the basket? Also, given that you'll probably be resting it on a work top, I'd be cautious of PFs where the handle extends past the bottom of the holder. To me that looks like taken a band saw to a stock portafilter

Thanks gary. I read there was a group buy for VST baskets a while back; couldn't find the thread but I guess I've missed that. Any idea where I can pick up a bargain? Every penny counts at this time of year!! :)

Also I'm assuming that both ridged and ridgeless would be suitable but would the ridgeless be rattling around in the PF?

Buy the LM baskets they're the same as VST and a fraction of the price if you buy direct from LM link here http://www.lamarzocco.it/lmeshop/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=2&Itemid=5

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Buy the LM baskets they're the same as VST and a fraction of the price if you buy direct from LM link here http://www.lamarzocco.it/lmeshop/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=2&Itemid=5

Thanks. I've had a look at that site and including shipping, it works out pretty much the same price as a VST over here. Coffeehit sell both the LM and VST but if they're the same thing, why is the VST double the price?!!

I bought the LM 17g from coffeehit and have really liked it using it. No experience of using a VST branded one, but my understanding is that they're one and the same too. Anyway the LM basket gets a thumbs up from me.

Fracino Piccino - Eureka Mignon - 17g LM basket - 58.35mm Madebyknock tamper - Aeropress - Bodum FP

These EP HQ double and trible baskets available from Coffee Hit are pretty good too. More about them on the Espresso Parts site here.

Edited by RoloD

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.

Thanks RoloD and BongoSteve. I think I'll probably go for LM or VST but it's a bit confusing as the VST baskets were made in conjunction with La Marzocco. Product descriptions of both LM and VST baskets are very similar.

I'm trying to find out whether they are a different production or in fact they are exactly the same basket, just described differently.

use code naked73 at Has bean and get 25% off this week (you need to order 3 bags of coffee/£15 minimum)..would make a VST about 18 quid

@garydyke1

Thanks gary. I tried that last night too!

That's the VST basket sorted!!

I think the discount code is valid until Christmas day.

Finally got round to ordering my 18g VST. Naked portafilter from HD should be here tomorrow too!!

I guess on this forum it's not too sad to say that I'm really excited about playing with the new toys! :D

I have read that I'll have to grind a bit finer due to the larger holes in the 18g basket but any quick do's and dont's to avoid me having to clean the kitchen walls? And anything else to bear in mind when using the above?

Finally got round to ordering my 18g VST. Naked portafilter from HD should be here tomorrow too!!

I guess on this forum it's not too sad to say that I'm really excited about playing with the new toys! :D

I have read that I'll have to grind a bit finer due to the larger holes in the 18g basket but any quick do's and dont's to avoid me having to clean the kitchen walls? And anything else to bear in mind when using the above?

Use 18g of coffee, dont bother with WDT/faffing. Just a nice even heap of coffee from the doser & a solid level single tamp. You will have to experiment with grind setting , if I remember rightly the VST 18 was a little finer than an expobar basket but nowhere near as fine as with a VST 15.

Ive had shots tasting acceptable at 22 seconds and 50 seconds with the VST, so have fun playing ; )

@garydyke1

Nutate, don't wdt :D

Izzo Alex Mk2 Dual Water, Compak K10 Conical, Gene Cafe, Cona Model D, Motta Jug and not enough cravendale...

Use 18g of coffee, dont bother with WDT/faffing. Just a nice even heap of coffee from the doser & a solid level single tamp. You will have to experiment with grind setting , if I remember rightly the VST 18 was a little finer than an expobar basket but nowhere near as fine as with a VST 15.

Ive had shots tasting acceptable at 22 seconds and 50 seconds with the VST, so have fun playing ; )

Thanks for the tips gary! Shiny bits have arrived and will have time this weekend to play around.

Nutate, don't wdt :D

Nutate?!

Thanks for the tips gary! Shiny bits have arrived and will have time this weekend to play around.

Nutate?!

So, basically, spin a coin and watch as it gets nearer dropping. That sort of motion with a tamper.

I was suspicious about it, but it really helps distribution, search for it on home barista.

Izzo Alex Mk2 Dual Water, Compak K10 Conical, Gene Cafe, Cona Model D, Motta Jug and not enough cravendale...

So, basically, spin a coin and watch as it gets nearer dropping. That sort of motion with a tamper.

I was suspicious about it, but it really helps distribution, search for it on home barista.

Thanks. I've noticed that there's hardly any clumping with the SJ so I've not been doing any WDT since using it.

I've had a look into the nutation and see what you mean so will give it a try. Are you doing it with a curved base tamper?

Thanks. I've noticed that there's hardly any clumping with the SJ so I've not been doing any WDT since using it.

I've had a look into the nutation and see what you mean so will give it a try. Are you doing it with a curved base tamper?

The SJ is a pretty good grinder, wouldn't have thought you'd need to wdt and at it's best I found wdt highly optimistic.

I use a flat tamper.