Hi, new here. I recently bought a Rocket Evo 2 and sadly not getting anything near what my Ms Silvia would give me so I think I need to find some other Rocket owners who can advise. Seem to have tried everything. Anyway seems like a good place to start.

Louis

What brew parameters/recipe are you using?

How long are you leaving the machine to warm up before brewing the shot and how much water are you flushing before pulling the shot?

What brew parameters/recipe are you using?

How long are you leaving the machine to warm up before brewing the shot and how much water are you flushing before pulling the shot?

You name it I've done it. :)

I've tried adjusting the grind from fairly course to almost choking. Pulls have been anywhere between 20 and 40 seconds trying longer ones to get the 'tang' out. Curiously some of the 35+ second shots weren't that bad.

Flushing I usually wait for the water dance to stop 5- 8 oz and allow 25 seconds recovery. Shots are smooth, flavours are often better or more consistent but that tang I can't get rid of. Having said that I've flushed less and even tried it without flushing.

Even when I go from bitter to bright it's always the same. The tang isn't a sour shot btw.

Right now I'm getting the best I can get with a very fine grind, loose tamp and around 25 -30 second pull.

I've also tried adjusting the pump to 8 bar, It's now currently at 8.75 to 9. Pressurestat was set at 1bar I raised to 1.2.

Coffee is happydonkey Italian blend which I had excellent results with the Silvia albeit less consistent. If I do a courser grind and harder tamp I get a brighter shot which is in danger of going sour so I'm sticking to this at the moment.

I really did think this machine would be easier than the Sivia to get a good shot, but I have to say it's much more consistent, smooth and flavour-some but not a god shot in sight. :-) Initially when I got the machine I thought it was nothing that couldn't be fixed, now I'm wondering, even doubting my own assessment and wondering if it's just finding brightness in the coffee that the Silvia didn't. Much confusion at the moment.

It is very difficult to tell but the tang could be brightness.

Here are some factors to consider:

HX machines have different temperature profiles from machines with a brew boiler. The brew water temperature inside thermosyphon can be difficult to predict too.

If you are not already, I would suggest giving the machine a good 40 minutes to an hour to heat up and stabilise.

How much ground coffee are you using to brew each shot? The dispersion blocks on E61 group heads sometimes protrude further into the basket than on other designs and so higher doses might not extract as well in an E61.

How much ground coffee are you using to brew each shot? The dispersion blocks on E61 group heads sometimes protrude further into the basket than on other designs and so higher doses might not extract as well in an E61.

I've been finding it hard to get as good a result with a typical 14gm dose, so I've been filling a little more to get a better result. I might try a bit more grind and less coffee but I'm sure I've been there. The grind really seems very fine to me but I'm used to the Silvia which worked with a much coarser grind.

I have a Rocket Giotto, bought before the Evo became available, but largely the same machine (although I think the Evo has a rotary pump, and the pump can influence the flavour profile according to those who are more expert than me).

I find that an 18gm dose works best for me, ground to give a 1 oz shot in 25-27 seconds, when tamped at 30lbs (test-measured with an Espro tamper). I also reckon that a VST 18gm basket makes a whole world of difference to the Rocket.

If you are having real trouble, try pulling the shots into different shot glasses at 10 second intervals - ie, 10 seconds into one glass, then quickly switch to another until you have 3 different glasses gathered throughout the 30 second cycle. Surely one of theme will be to your taste, and then it's a question of adjusting the length of shot to give you the profile that tastes best for you.

I find that with some coffees, the best shot is using 18gm, but stopping at around 20 seconds - OK, this gives a short measure - but as I always pull doubles I still get a decent portion - and I'm prepared to sacrifice quantity to get the taste that I want.

All this is highly empirical - it's based on what works for me from trial and error - I have no scientific basis for the advice.

Maybe it's time to change your beans - what works well in the Silvia might not work as well in a Rocket. I use a Pavoni lever as well as the Rocket, and shots of the same bean taste vastly different when made on the two machines. (And I've got to admit that I'm coming back to the view that for a lot of beans the Pav pulls better shots than the Rocket.)

Hi, had a similar if not quite so serious issue with changing grinder and a few people on here suggested that even though i had only gone to a simple MC2 the grind was releasing flavours in the beans that i had not found im my cheep & cheerful Dualit, so my pallte took a little time to adjust, it took me a while and eventually i found a sweet spot that suits my set up and i look forward to every shot, even if i do get a duff one, have also recently changed over to a Second had Expobar Leva and found some more new flavours in the usual coffee, but had read some interesting articles On HB and as jimbow points out, how the temperature profile affects the extraction and have been playing around with the temp VS time, even had one or two 40+ second pours but quite palatable.

heres the article link, it quite aptly named How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love HXs http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

I have a Rocket Giotto, bought before the Evo became available, but largely the same machine (although I think the Evo has a rotary pump, and the pump can influence the flavour profile according to those who are more expert than me).

I find that an 18gm dose works best for me, ground to give a 1 oz shot in 25-27 seconds, when tamped at 30lbs (test-measured with an Espro tamper). I also reckon that a VST 18gm basket makes a whole world of difference to the Rocket.

I was wondering about the VST. So you are more or less using a double dose but only extracting a single shot?

If you are having real trouble, try pulling the shots into different shot glasses at 10 second intervals - ie, 10 seconds into one glass, then quickly switch to another until you have 3 different glasses gathered throughout the 30 second cycle.

Excellent idea! I'll give that a try.

Maybe it's time to change your beans - what works well in the Silvia might not work as well in a Rocket. I use a Pavoni lever as well as the Rocket, and shots of the same bean taste vastly different when made on the two machines. (And I've got to admit that I'm coming back to the view that for a lot of beans the Pav pulls better shots than the Rocket.)

oh don't tell me that after I've just gone and spent a fortune. :-)

Mind you I was looking at some demos of the Bezzera Strega and began to understand how some coffees which aren't that good in normal espresso machines can be brought to life by altering the pressures. Ethiopian light roast coffees for instance.

@Robd

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a MC2 and had wondered if perhaps I needed to upgrade that. It's a nice grinder though and I'd probably have to spend significantly more to make any upgrade worthwhile I guess. I had seen that article on home-barista, it's interesting although I didn't quite take it all in.

• 3 weeks later...

Can empathise with you.

I always struggling with espresso from any Hasbean beans (comes out tasting like un-ripe fruit sour taste) - Now i stick to Black Chough & Lusty Glaze both easy and consistent on the Rocky, but occasionally brave Hasbean beans which otherwise are delicious in a Chemex or Hario, but can never nail as espresso.

I put it down to the light roast, but its more likely my lack of barista skills :)

I agree with vintagecigarman: try different beans. Happy Donkey beans don't exactly have legions of fans. Do they even have a roasted on date? There are many vendors who specialize in coffee roasting who are worth trying.