IGNORED

Alex Duetto II issue

SakoTRG

Hello all,

New member here :)

congrats on this great forum.

I purchased an Alex Duetto II years ago from Bella.

Probably have one of the early models.

I fixed loads of little things myself but now have an issue I’m not sure about.

When I try and back flush I get extremely poor water pushed into the tray  from the bottom of the E61. 
Water and puffy stays in the portafilter.

It used to shoot out under pressure into the tray.

Same when brewing, extremely watery pucks.

I was thinking it could be the OPV (unsure)

I ordered a replacement a while back from Bella but doesn’t look like the part I have fitted.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Oh, how do I attach photos, can’t see the attach image on this thread??

Kind Regards,

Anthony

@SakoTRG  Welcome to the forum. When you backflush with cleaner do you remove the lever and cam, dry and grease pins/ cam with Molykote 111. Also grease the valve stem?

Have you ever greased it?

Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Hi yes, that’s the 1st thing I did.

It all looked good.

im now just trying to get the right turns on the OPV spring tension, just put it back together and the thin outlet pipe that goes in the tray is now too low.

Have to give it some more turns.

ive used citric acid to clean the internals of the OPV and the seals look good.

4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@SakoTRG  Welcome to the forum. When you backflush with cleaner do you remove the lever and cam, dry and grease pins/ cam with Molykote 111. Also grease the valve stem?

Have you ever greased it?

Hi Dave,

Thanks, no I haven’t used any grease 😬

Just stripped down and citric acid.

The top group valve and preinfusion valve cam follower pins are probably worn. If the machines been in service 9 years all the E61 valves need replacing. Cam itself may well be ok and you will need a couple of lever stem seals as well.

I'd be surprised if the lever stem doesn't drip during a backflush.

Buy a full service kit and you can do everything, including springs

Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

42 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

The top group valve and preinfusion valve cam follower pins are probably worn. If the machines been in service 9 years all the E61 valves need replacing. Cam itself may well be ok and you will need a couple of lever stem seals as well.

I'd be surprised if the lever stem doesn't drip during a backflush.

Buy a full service kit and you can do everything, including springs

Thanks Dave…

I tried again back flushing. Nothing leaking from the handle but what I get is all the pressure building up in the portafilter and very little coming out the bottom of the e61.

When i release the portafilter I get an explosion of hot water and puffy carp.

So all pressure in the portafilter.

This is why I’m getting extremely soggy pucks.

Is this the kit I require Dave?

I’ll also get some of the food safe grease.

Thanks

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/generic-e61-group-head-service-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4vHoLLI8wIV1vhRCh2X_QAjEAQYAiABEgLAx_D_BwE

Edited by SakoTRG

1 hour ago, SakoTRG said:

Thanks Dave…

I tried again back flushing. Nothing leaking from the handle but what I get is all the pressure building up in the portafilter and very little coming out the bottom of the e61.

When i release the portafilter I get an explosion of hot water and puffy carp.

So all pressure in the portafilter.

This is why I’m getting extremely soggy pucks.

Is this the kit I require Dave?

I’ll also get some of the food safe grease.

Thanks

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/generic-e61-group-head-service-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4vHoLLI8wIV1vhRCh2X_QAjEAQYAiABEgLAx_D_BwE

Perhaps this also?

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/izzo-duetto-alex-vivi-group-head-re-build-kit.html

You might need bits from both kits, because your pins will be worn from what you say.

You definitely need the 3 valves in the expensive kit, the cam may or may not be worn because it's harder than the followers.

You may not need to change the springs, but you will need lever stem gaskets.

So, unfortunately you need to buy both kits.

Edited by DavecUK

@SakoTRG - this video from Lelit insider might come in handy, giving you an idea of the job ahead. appreciate your machine is not a Lelit, but the group is the same.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group