IGNORED

Automatic Plug Timers

Mikegm

Been using my new ECM V Slim for a couple of months now. I would like to give a plug-in timer a go. Can anyone recommend a make?... would be nice to pre-set an 'On Time' occasionally. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

I use the kasa smart plugs. 

Really good 

That’s TP Link right? I had them in the past. Really good, and rated 13A. 👍

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Never had any issues with my TP link smart plug. Works flawlessly with my QM Rapida.

The cheap smart plugs I bought off Amazon to operate my living room lights (Teckin I think - operated by the "smart life" app) on the other hand are terrible - stay away from those. Incredibly unreliable, barely works with Alexa, and very frustrating to setup.

I use exclusively Meross smart plugs, never had a problem with them and I think I have 6 or 7 in use. True 13 amp, don't foul the switch of a double socket and you can get 2 side by side...often special offers on Amazon, so great pricing. e.g. twin pack for £8

They work perfectly with Alexa, or from the phone. I use them on schedules as well for cheap smart home functions.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Unfortunately, Kasa doesn’t offer native Apple homekit integration. Meross does it natively, although not on on iterations.  

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernhard Shaw

8 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

@DavecUK How did you manage to grab a twin pack for £8? 😊

From time to time they have special offers. I actually purchased 2 twin packs in the end.

image.png.d4567bda75baafbdfa7604ee28beca11.png

image.thumb.png.9ae1b86be3075797d642af5a1a3a86cf.png

I use an add on called Camelizer to spot the price histories and create alerts. The only problem is it doesn't see discounts/promotions properly. so it showed the lowest Amazon price without the discount.

1635015077_camelchart-locale-ukasin-b085ly7w7gpricetypes-amazon-new-usedforce-1desired-truelegend-0ilt-1tp-allzero-0fo-1h-286w-588lang-en2021-10-14025007.png.e8568d1eace040bae258539a421ff4fc.png

image.png.f0f61e64c3c9b41243ddaa003ad066f4.png

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Meant to say that had an offer on Phillips hue lamps as well back in May. £6.61 per bulb, instead of £15, Bluetooth and directly Alexa capable. This time you can see by the green line, camelizer successfully tracked the right price....because there wasn't a promotional discount box, the product just hit that price for about 2 days!

166739396_camelchart-locale-ukasin-b07v48zwm5pricetypes-amazon-new-usedforce-1desired-truelegend-0ilt-1tp-allzero-0fo-1h-286w-588lang-en2021-10-14031031.png.d4a14c5810f6a7ea967dfd45eece2ab3.png

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 19:59, Mikegm said:

Been using my new ECM V Slim for a couple of months now. I would like to give a plug-in timer a go. Can anyone recommend a make?... would be nice to pre-set an 'On Time' occasionally. Thanks.

If you would also consider a smart socket (more elegant IMO than a smart plug, and I assume most people don't move their machine around the house so don't need the portability) - this BG one has never let me down. It does everything: timers (completely flexible and convenient for any schedule), remote operation via app, voice control with Alexa/Google... You can operate physically from the socket if you want, you can set the socket to turn off after any amount of time you choose (so you don't forget it on for too long). And because it's a double socket, I put the grinder on it as well so it's off when the machine is sleeping (keeps the red led off ;-)).

The only gripe I had was that it didn't automatically adjust to summer/winter clock, but this was recently fixed with a firmware update, so now it gets top marks from me.

Edited by Doram
  • Like 3

I use an IKEA smart socket for mine as I have it connected to Home Assistant using Zigbee.

It's a bit more complicated but I can do so many things with it:

It automatically turns on 30 mins before my alarm on my phone (Only if alarm is on and I'm home and only between 0600 & 0800). Theory with this being that if my alarm is on, I'm working or having to get up for something, used to have a 'working' switch that I would turn off when on holiday but would always forget, the alarm one is a lot more reliable and also works at the weekend if I need to get up for something.

If no-one is in the house and it's turned on, the last person leaving triggers the machine to turn off.

I have a small IKEA shortcut button next to the machine so I can turn it off and on using that (Means I have managed to hide the plug but I can still turn it on with a physical switch)

Obviously Alexa control too.

It's also set up to send my phone an alert that it's been on for 30 mins and should be warmed up if I turn it on later in the day.