IGNORED

New UK stock at 6pm

talal

HI everyone, i have had an email from Niche (as i suspect all of you have as well!) that there is new stock being released at 6pm today.

Im unsure whether to buy one, i have wanted one for ages, it looks good, gets great reviews etc etc but when i bought my Mara X and Mignon Specialita together its been a pretty good combo and the grinder seems to be doing a decent job.

I guess the question is, is the niche really an upgrade, i guess i could probably get 250 for the specialita which offsets half of the cost of the Niche but is it going to be better... what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Waitforme said:

I’d doubt you’d notice in a blind tasting.

The reason to get the Niche would be from a workflow perspective.

I think he might against a Mignon, plus more shot success, I certainly notice the difference. That said if @talal if you're happy with the results, no need to spend the extra. Perhaps find a member near you and give the Niche a try.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

I had the same dilemma in the past few weeks. I bought an elizabeth and eureka specialita about 5 months ago and I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed the combination. I single dose every time, however, and will change bean/roast level every month or so. I’ve been finding I need to have the specialita at close to the finest grind setting over the past number of different beans/different roast levels and wondered if it was really close to its limit? 5 months old, have cleaned it every 4 weeks or so. I’ve been attracted to the niche zero for some time for it’s workflow (above points) and improvement in consistency so I took the plunge a couple weeks ago with the last released batch. I also then wondered if I’m just treating myself here - is it just a nicer workflow with no real improvement in taste/consistency/overall quality? So I’ve got over the buyers remorse and am looking forward to its arrival now!! Hopefully it’ll be an actual improvement outside the workflow suitability to my process! I might even be able to compare both for a while until I sell the specialita. It’ll be interesting to compare on here

Very tempted to pull the trigger on one. I would hopefully regain some of the cost by selling on my Ceado E37S (which is great, but I really want something that will single dose.)

Niche website says UK orders will be shipped in December so have they already sold out?

@khampal I think they allow advance orders 6 to 8 weeks before. These sell out and the next orders open in a few months for grinders in February and so on.

Interestingly the site only allows 1 grinder per customer, to stop the eBay scalpers I guess

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

16 hours ago, talal said:

I guess the question is, is the niche really an upgrade, i guess i could probably get 250 for the specialita which offsets half of the cost of the Niche but is it going to be better... what are your thoughts?

I can't speak wholly to this as I had a MignonII which I think was the smaller burr size (50mm) compared to yours (55mm).  I ran that with a Silvia and more recently a MaraX, and got my Niche about a month ago.

You're probably not going to suddenly start tasting rainbows, but I have noticed a slight improvement in consistency. Also - and this could be any number of other things as well - I tend to get sweeter espressos with less acidity, although this isn't necessarily a positive (but it does make bad ones taste less bad!)

For me, single dosing was the big drive - I never managed to make that work on the Mignon - and it seems to be streets ahead for grinding pourover.

Overall, I am not disappointed, I think it's been well worth the cost and I don't see an upgrade being needed for a long time.

Thanks for all the responses, I ummed and Ahhed about it last night and went to bed thinking ill just leave it, i am happy with the specialita its doing its job well, the coffee is tasting good, has a small footprint, and looks alright on the counter (mine doesnt look great as its the special edition mirror chrome finish, bit too shiny for my taste)

The woke up this morning expecting there to be no stock and there is still, so the FOMO has gotten the better of me and i have ordered one. I guess my take is i will have a month after it arrives to try both and if it really doesn't feel like an upgrade then i can always sell it on here and likely to get most of my money back and another member gets to grab one when they want it (at cost or less) rather than join a long shipping queue...

Now the comments about the improved workflow - this is my current approach:

Beans in the specialita hopper, grind into a small glass jar that fits into the portafilter perfectly

Grind into the jar, then weigh the grinds on a scale to make sure they are 20g, pour into the portafilter, pull a shot while weighing out the shot to 36gish in 24 sec

its been working pretty well, although i use a hasbean subscription so change beans every 10 days or so, its only thrown me off a couple of times when i have struggled to dial a particular bean in but generally its fairly consistent.

Ill see how i get on with the Niche when it arrives but the main change to the workflow will be store the beans in a co2 container, weigh before grinding then straight to portafilter??

I suspect so too, just trying to justify the £510!

From what i have read on previous order threads looks like they are delivering quicker than they are suggesting on the website so im hoping it arrives in mid nov rather than December... Just need to forget i have ordered it now and carry on wiht my usual set up

I tend to only use the grinder for espresso, tried it once for a grind for Aeropress but to be honest i prefer a short milk drink...

I have never managed to nail an espresso that i enjoy drinking without milk, always find it too harsh (iv not got a refined palate like many on here, so cant distinguish acidity/bitterness v well)

Lets see if the Niche is able to improve on that front

2 hours ago, talal said:

I suspect so too, just trying to justify the £510!

From what i have read on previous order threads looks like they are delivering quicker than they are suggesting on the website so im hoping it arrives in mid nov rather than December... Just need to forget i have ordered it now and carry on wiht my usual set up

I’m waiting on the last pre-order with November delivery. I’ve not got mine yet, but have fingers crossed for early delivery like the last batch!

I didn’t listen to my FOMO back in August and delayed to the point of missing a couple of pre-order batches. Regretting that now as I sit and wait for the grinder always knew I wanted all along!!

• Like 1