IGNORED

How would you judge the consistency of this grind?

nikitas

As described in the title, what do you think of this grind?
spacer.png

The reason I am asking is because after cleaning the burrs of a Eureka Mignon Manuale I bought second hand, I read that it might be best to check the alignment of the burs when reassembling - which I didn't.

Thanks a lot!

Nikitas

1 minute ago, Waitforme said:

It looks like the beans have been ground with a cheese grater from that photo 🤔

I was thinking crushed bourbon biscuits!

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

To be honest, they were finely diced with my chef's knife 🤓

how are the shots
I haven't been very happy with my shots - the results are inconsistent across shots and can sometimes have a weird bitter-sour combo. Having said that, I am quite new to espresso - so my taste is not a very reliable indicator..

Edited by nikitas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nikitas said:

To be honest, they were finely diced with my chef's knife 🤓

how are the shots
I haven't been very happy with my shots - the results are inconsistent across shots and can sometimes have a weird bitter-sour combo. Having said that, I am quite new to espresso - so my taste is not a very reliable indicator..

You might be new to espresso, but you must have experience of eating & drinking? So your taste doesn't need to correlate to anything but what you personally like/dislike.

You say your shots are inconsistent? Inconsistent in what way? Weight out? Taste?  Both?

Bitter-sour suggests under-extracted and too fine. Do you have leeway to grind coarser?

4 hours ago, nikitas said:

Thanks MWJB - I meant both, i.e inconsistent in brewing time taken to get certain weight out, and in taste.

I will try to adjust the grind to coarser and see how it goes.

Time is one of the least informative things when it comes to consistency. Focus more on grind setting & its effect on taste.

E.g. if you change grind constantly to hit a specific time, your coffee will be less consistent than a constant grind setting with some variation in time.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@nikitas You might have stripped the thread in the aluminium burr carrier as well!

one of the screws kept on turning without fastening completely. Unfortunately I kept on going and the screw broke

One thing has always baffled me...why people put the screws in so tightly into what is an Aluminium burr carrier...it's not as if they are likely to become loose if only nipped up.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

why people put the screws in so tightly into what is an Aluminium burr carrier

In the burr alignment video the guy talks about "apprentice torque" - I guess it describes exactly my situation 🤪

I was only focused on not stripping the screw's head - I was completely unaware that stripping the thread or breaking the screw was even possible...

Edited by nikitas
correct link

1 hour ago, nikitas said:

In the burr alignment video the guy talks about "apprentice torque" - I guess it describes exactly my situation 🤪

I was only focused on not stripping the screw's head - I was completely unaware that stripping the thread or breaking the screw was even possible...

the screw is stainless, the carrier aluminium, a recipe for disaster without a little care. I'm surprised you snapped the screw...wow.

Flexing Nick Walker GIF