IGNORED

Chinese Air Roaster , and profiles , HELP!!

Jimmy A

Hi
I have got this Air Coffee roaster (see images below) , it is Chinese , and can roast 150 gram at once,
the main reason that I get it was for fun and it will be for free in the long run , as green beans cost 1/3 the price of roasted beans.

After a year of using it , once to twice per month with some basic roasting knowledge, I think that it is time to try some roast profiles manually.

I have Ethiopia / India / Columbia / Tanzania / Yemen green beans ( i just know the country of the beans but not their regions)

I am looking for some help with a general roast profiles for espresso, for example phases and timing of each phase that will give me good flavors using this roaster.

I did look for some profiles on the forums , but found that a lot of users use gene 101 roaster.
will these profiles work with my roaster or how can adapt / convert these profiles to my roaster for example should me phases be longer or shorter when comparing to gene 101.

Thanks.

this is the roaster , I can control the fan strength and the voltage , and see the current temperature.

image.png.3bf640cac9932428859d4da79e6801d3.png

• What roast profiles have you been using
  • are there automated ones built in
  • how are the results so far

This machine is quite different to the Gene which is a hybrid roaster. Yours is a pure fluid bed, and I would imagine the lower part of the chamber might just have holes, where really the beans need lift and swirl. You should put up a photo of the roast chamber floor.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

@DavecUKI have not used roast profiles, I just roasted in 3 stages , heat the beans to be yellow, then heat to first crack , then wait a bit and get them out for medium roast.
and if I want t dark roast I will wait for the second crack and then pull them right away after second crack so I will not get oily beans.
image.png.17da45e9be94c255acea7be7d05a3e57.pngimage.png.e6d234b3a363a181ac52c012d80e9a8c.pngimage.thumb.png.afaeabd4741f4e2d54c47472cf111812.png

That just looks like a basic grid, not even an attempt to lift and swirl the beans.

@DavecUKI have not used roast profiles, I just roasted in 3 stages , heat the beans to be yellow, then heat to first crack , then wait a bit and get them out for medium roast.
and if I want t dark roast I will wait for the second crack and then pull them right away after second crack so I will not get oily beans.

With the lack of roasting information provided...my suggestions as a starting point to develop some profiles are:

• Ensure you always roast the same weight of beans
  • have a roast log, dates, times, ambient temperatures, roaster temps by time (every minute), 1st crack temp and time, end of roast time. The basics basically.  http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--files/online-roastlog-application/roastlogprintout2.pdf
  • Find the fan speed that gives good agitation of the beans, then control using temp...only lower the fan if the lighter beans gain too much loft.
  • try not to roast too quickly (aim for 9+ minutes if you can)

Once you know how your roaster works and have proper records of your results, then you can start to develop profiles as you cup the roasts.

• Like 2

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

@DavecUK
Thanks , that is what I really need , some guidance to start and develop roast profiles, I will be roasting in the upcoming days , I will make sure to record a video and show you the movement of the beans, but I would say that the machine in the video you attached , works the same as mine , it just have another separate chamber for chaf , while mine has it on top.

This was my attempt, based on someone’s else’s post called “tin can air roaster!” After a while I decided to leave roasting to the pros! 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good luck, let us know how you get on! 

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group