IGNORED

Lelit bianca care question.

Sharpe

7 minutes ago, Alpesh said:

Yes agreed on the ball joint lube - might be too frequent but I guess people should gauge for themselves.

Also agreed on descaling - ideally we want to minimise but not everyone will be using 'safe' water so serves as a reminder.  I have only used Volvic since buying the machine and come the 1 year anniversary I'll be calling Bella Barista for their advice as they suggested a yearly descale before I purchased it.  They are probably erring on the side of caution and hopefully will suggest otherwise in my case.

Volvic scales and I'd expect significant build up in the service boiler over a year, even with emptying it monthly, so probably not.

3 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Volvic scales and I'd expect significant build up in the service boiler over a year, even with emptying it monthly, so probably not.

Hmm thanks Rob1 good to know - looks like I need to read up a little more.  Any suggestions of alternate bottled water in the UK would be welcomed as I live in a very hard water area.  I know Re-mineralised RO would be best but I don’t necessarily want to be buying more kit just now if I can help it.  I’ve seen Tesco Ashbeck and Volvic mentioned on various forums as being relatively safe bottled water in the UK hence went with the latter.  Both were also called out on the following:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/07/22/hard-water-kills-your-coffee-machine/amp/

Regards

Alpesh

2 hours ago, Alpesh said:

Tesco Ashbeck and Volvic mentioned on various forums as being relatively safe bottled water in the UK

This is right. But they will scale. It’s just a matter of time, and eventually, you’ll need to descale. We are talking a couple of years here, compared to a couple of months if you ran on tap water in the Thames Valley, for example.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

19 hours ago, Alpesh said:

Every month

• Use a cocktail stick and work some molykote onto the upper part of the ball joint and move the wand around
  • Refresh Boiler Water:
  1. Switch off
  2. Open hot tap untill no more water comes out
  3. Switch on allow to refill and heat up again
  4. Repeat twice more

Good list, thanks. I've not been great on the refreshing the boiler water, must set a reminder for that - completing 3 times seems a little excessive though? Thought I read elsewhere refreshing monthly should be sufficient.

7 minutes ago, spasypaddy said:

whats the logic behind refreshing the boiler water every month?

otherwise calcium and magnesium deposits precipitate and will increase the TDS on that boiler, which can cause problems on the long run. The idea is that refreshing the water you at least keep diluting it and removing them as much as possible via the hot water tap.

Remember, steam is technically pure water. any minerals are left behind inside the boiler. 

• Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2021 at 16:30, Alpesh said:

Just thought it worth sharing some notes I have taken based on various forums and mostly a consolidation of guides written by Dave.  Your circumstances may differ but this regime seems to be a good for me on my Bianca.  Once you've done it a few times these tasks don't take long at all.  I was concerned when I first had to lubricate the Cam and it took ages to get it back in initially - now it takes no more than 10 mins.

Maintenance Schedule

Daily

• Backflush E61 Group Head with Plain Water

Every 2-3 days (weekly for me at the moment)

Every month

• Use a cocktail stick and work some molykote onto the upper part of the ball joint and move the wand around
  • Refresh Boiler Water:
  1. Switch off
  2. Open hot tap untill no more water comes out
  3. Switch on allow to refill and heat up again
  4. Repeat twice more

Every 3 months (or after every 200 shots)

Every 6 months

Every year

• Open top of machine and inspect for any leaks or damage
  • Descale Brew and Steam Boilers (if required depending on water used)

Every 4-5 Years

• Group Head Service

Other

• Clean Surfaces with Method Stainless Steel Polish Spray
  • Replace Water Filter - Every 70 refills (if required depending on water used)

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Alpesh

That's a great list and very helpful! I've been looking into buying a MaraX so thinking what clean I should do for the maintenance. 

Also for the steam wand, how often do we need to use chemical to clean it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

@Yiran rarely, I use a soapy sponge and keep the holes/tip clean...dental tepe brushes work well for that

Thank you for answering! I was just reading your post (back good few years ago) about cleanliness is next to godliness together with this, feels like I have so much to learn. 😄