IGNORED

Help! QM67 - no steam- steam boiler is off

Durrsaku

Hi All,

I have a two year old QM67. About a month ago the steam boiler stoped working. Not heating up. The brewing capability of the machine is not effected just no steam.

I have searched endlessly but have not found what is wrong with it. 

I have measured the resistance of the heating element and that seems ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thank you

have you pressed the reset button on the limit stat?

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

Just thinking could it be the transformer or the control unit? I have noticed when I switch the steam boiler on that there is current going through the body of the machine. I don't mind taking it for repairs just don't know where to. I am based in Swindon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@Durrsaku Any espresso machine repair shop should be able to fix it....I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have current going through the body of the machine? That would trip and RCD (it is on an RCD protected circuit, isn't it?

Edited by DavecUK

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

Hi DavecUk, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply so thank you. Yes it is on a RCD of course. It may not be related. Just frustrated that I think I should be able to fix it. I just don't want to end up purchasing parts I don't need to replace. Just trying to understand the circuit diagrams and how the it all works. Thank you.

I never seen inside of of those but you really need to do some basic checks first if you have a multimeter.

Is power getting to the heating element, you need to definitely check and if not run back through the machine to the autofill box?

• is power getting to the other side of the limit stat (in case that's gone bad)
  • is power getting to the SSR to switch the current (perhaps that's gone)
  • if not possibly the autofill box has gone

Of course it could be the PID, on some PID's it's just a display with a ribbon cable, others have intelligence inside the PID and a basic autofill box RL30 or similar). You can usually tell by looking where the thermal probe wires go, if they go to the back of the PID, then theres intelligence in there, if they go to the autofill box, then the intelligence is there. Perhaps a thermal probe has gone bad,  usually you get an A1 or A2 error, but it could simply be that preventing it from working.

It can't be (from your description, unless you have not mentioned some fairly obvious stuff), as other things would be happening..

• bad autofill probe connection
  • faulty autofill solenoig
  • fault tank water level sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, finally traced the fault to the SSR. Ordered new part (expensive) and installed it. All is now back to normal again working as it should be. In the mean time waiting to fit a heat sink plate hoping it will help. Thank you for all your help. 

• Like 1

You don't need to make a heat sink, just ensure good thermal contact...you could use some paste perhaps. It either simply failed or there was water damage at some time. Those SSRs are quite lightly loaded