IGNORED

New Elizabeth V3 owner

Caffeinated_fiend

Hi everyone,

Big day for me today as I upgraded from a Sage Barista Pro to a Lelit Elizabeth V3, got it all setup and it really does heat up quick. The first time I haven’t had to manually heat up a portafilter. One thing that is going to be a game changer for me is consistency with this machine as the sage was always a pain to keep warm due to the nature of how it works. 

I am used to pre-infusion as I always pulled manual shots with the Sage with a 5 second pre-infusion and then would aim for a total brew time of around 30 seconds usually at a 1:2.5 ratio. 

I had a few attempts with the Lelit using preset 2, which from factory is steam pressure for around 7 or so seconds before full power I believe. Should I be counting the steam pressure as well as the full shot time, or the start of the timer? I noticed when the shots I was doing went longer they had the typical tiger striping that wasn’t there at the 28s mark shot I had as an Americano. The good news is it’s the best shot I’ve ever made, I put 17.5 in the basket and pulled 35g out, the upgrade in quality of shot was night and day. The best part is I managed a decent shot with the plastic fantastic tamper as I haven’t got one yet. 

I normally place the portafilter on the counter top but the portafilter on the Elizabeth doesn’t have a gap big enough so I was just tamping with the portafilter sat on the tamping mat. 

Lastly should I be buying the Lelit tamper? I think I need the 58.5mm one? I also need to get a distribution tool as I’ve been making a mess once the grinds go in from the niche, I can’t so far get them to go in flat. There is normally a slope of grounds that I then need to distribute. 

• Like 1

@Caffeinated_fiend you have to do the macarana with the portafilter and inverted grind cup an with practice you will get it level all the time

https://youtu.be/6LIkX0U6f5k

• Like 1

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

@Caffeinated_fiend - Join the club! Do read Dave's review of the Elizabeth, twice over, and same for the videos. The best thing you can do is to use the settings on that review, rather than the factory settings. 

The machine has a timer. That's how you count it: from the moment you press the button. Pre-infusion is part of the total time.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

2 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@Caffeinated_fiend - Join the club! Do read Dave's review of the Elizabeth, twice over, and same for the videos. The best thing you can do is to use the settings on that review, rather than the factory settings. 

The machine has a timer. That's how you count it: from the moment you press the button. Pre-infusion is part of the total time.

I will have another look it was @DavecUK review that made me go with it and I have watched the vids but I haven’t yet absorbed all the info. It fact he’s just rickrolled me as I thought ah maybe he’s linked one of his videos, safe to say it wasn’t 😂

56 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@Caffeinated_fiend you have to do the macarana with the portafilter and inverted grind cup an with practice you will get it level all the time

https://youtu.be/6LIkX0U6f5k

I was going to buy the Lelit distribution tool but might hold off then if it’s possible to get it level with the grind cup alone. 

@Caffeinated_fiend - The distribution tool is the least of your worries. In my opinion, a self-levelling tamper is a more worthwhile investment. 

Like this one:

There are others of lesser quality and cheaper value. I have a Bravo Tamper myself. The distribution tool is now in the drawer. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@Caffeinated_fiend - The distribution tool is the least of your worries. In my opinion, a self-levelling tamper is a more worthwhile investment. 

Like this one:

There are others of lesser quality and cheaper value. I have a Bravo Tamper myself. The distribution tool is now in the drawer. 🙂 

Wowzers I have to save up some pennies again and get something like this, do you use the Lelit portafiler that came with the machine? Do you just sit it on a surface?

Also if I am using Tesco Ashbeck for the water do I need the resin filter?

Edited by Caffeinated_fiend

I wouldn’t bother with the resin filter @Caffeinated_fiend . But saying that, eventually, after a couple of years, you might need to do a descale. Would the filter help? I don’t know. Probably. I never used mine.

I have a bottomless PF. Easier to keep it clean. 

if you do want a distribution tool, you can get something off Amazon or eBay. I have an Scarlet Espresso branded and it does the trick, but I haven’t used in a while. It’s great to encourage level tamping, and keep things tidy, but it’s not a requirement. 

Hey @MediumRoastSteamwhat is your go to setting, I have been experimenting with a 10 second steam infusion so far but I’m waiting for some beans to degas that are only about 5 days old currently. 

I have noticed on some shots that I have a darker line running down almost likes stripes, could this be channeling? The puck looks fine after, but it’s not a solid colour change throughout?

1 minute ago, Caffeinated_fiend said:

Hey @MediumRoastSteamwhat is your go to setting, I have been experimenting with a 10 second steam infusion so far but I’m waiting for some beans to degas that are only about 5 days old currently. 

I have noticed on some shots that I have a darker line running down almost likes stripes, could this be channeling? The puck looks fine after, but it’s not a solid colour change throughout?

I have a 10s steam pre-infusion as my go to setting. 

it’s hard to tell from a description. Also, shots can look different on a naked portafilter. Darker beans tend to look amazing; try the same with lighter roasts and it just looks very wrong. However, it doesn’t means it’s wrong. It’s just how it is. 

So, if it tastes good, then don’t worry about it. 

if you shoot a video, maybe we can give you better feedback. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I have a 10s steam pre-infusion as my go to setting. 

it’s hard to tell from a description. Also, shots can look different on a naked portafilter. Darker beans tend to look amazing; try the same with lighter roasts and it just looks very wrong. However, it doesn’t means it’s wrong. It’s just how it is. 

So, if it tastes good, then don’t worry about it. 

if you shoot a video, maybe we can give you better feedback. 

Once my beans are ready I will do, I have the Niche Macarena down now so the grounds are much better distributed than on my first day with the machine. I know it depends but what sort of all in extraction times do you aim for with the 10 second preinfusion? Also dose? I got some Milk buster with the machine from Bella Barista and put 18g in but the basket wasn’t full at that amount by any means. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caffeinated_fiend said:

Once my beans are ready I will do, I have the Niche Macarena down now so the grounds are much better distributed than on my first day with the machine. I know it depends but what sort of all in extraction times do you aim for with the 10 second preinfusion? Also dose? I got some Milk buster with the machine from Bella Barista and put 18g in but the basket wasn’t full at that amount by any means. 

I use a VST 18g. So, 18g in, 36g out in approx. 35s total. For the stock basket, start with 18g and go from there. If it’s not quite full (remembering needs some clearance, mine you) then try 19g. I think Lelit has since changed the baskets, and are now made by IMS I think.

milk buster is a medium/darkish bean, should be easy to extract.

And as for the Niche Macarena Dance @DavecUK should coin this term)… for those who are young or old enough to remember this back in the day…

• Like 1

@MediumRoastSteamThat video has the perfect frame rate and tinnyness that would have played perfectly on my 333mhz pentium machine via some nasty sound blaster speakers. Many a Spanish holiday with my parents and having to suffer through the Macarena 😩

I haven’t played with the temp yet so it is still at the default 95c, the Lelit baskets do say on the side that they are by IMS. A couple of test shots with the Milk buster looked good but it’s only 5 days old I was just impatient to have a play with the machine. I made a flat white with horrific looking latte art.  

• Like 1

Have you keyed in all Dave's settings and are you waiting for the machine to stabilise after heating up?

• Like 1

Just now, Caffeinated_fiend said:

Hi, yes I’m giving the machine a good 30 minutes to warm up, I haven’t changed any of the advanced LCC settings as of yet no. 

OK. 30 minutes is long enough. Decrease the temp and see how it goes. But those default parameters on the LCC are very wild and aggressive. 

2 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

OK. 30 minutes is long enough. Decrease the temp and see how it goes. But those default parameters on the LCC are very wild and aggressive. 

I will have another look at the document and see what I need to do.

Its been fun today, I have so much more extraction power it would seem, the barista pro used to do well with darker roasts so I used one of my go to decafs on the Lelit today, the first shot was 33 seconds at 95c at it was one of those throat scratcher astringent cups. I lowered the temp to 92c and waiting using the + icon to see when the boiler was actually at 92c. This time the astringency was gone but it was still bitter. 

5 minutes ago, Caffeinated_fiend said:

92c and waiting using the + icon to see when the boiler was actually at 92c. This time the astringency was gone but it was still bitter. 

Try without pre-infusion, see how it goes.

If not, try lowering to 89 and see how it goes.