IGNORED

COSTA!

Gilly

So Costa Coffee giving its deserved staff a 5% pay rise; great news; however now seeking 2k staff to plug the ‘demand’ .

Cant quite understand the ‘ demand ‘ though; I’ve sifted through their offerings to find I’m paying good buck to drink essentially coloured water; am I being unfair?

Their milk based coffees simply disguise the awfulness of the bean/brew.

Can’t  get my head round Costas popularity.

At least Nero give a double shot in their standard AMERICANO which makes a slight CREMA and is slightly less awful.

Discuss.

@Gilly Well it's good for people who need a job, my daughter works at a Costa and she says they pay well, useful as she goes to Uni in 9 days....hopefully she can get a bit of work in a Costa in Leeds.

Costa and companies like it, are what enable us to enjoy the speciality coffee we do!

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Personally I think Costa offers the best espresso compared to Nero and Starbucks and I think their staff are better trained too so good on them. Going for a Costa is more about the ambience, company your with or even just the caffeine whereas for me having a coffee is about the process and taste of the output so in a way not even comparable!

A few years ago I used think I knew a bit about coffee and thought Costa had better coffee. Then I discovered the aero press from a new cafe run by a pair of brothers passionate about coffee. You could walk in to their unassuming place, order any of about 5 or 6 different beans brewed in any of 5 or 6 ways (from aero press to chemex to V60 to espresso machine). As I got to know the guys, purchased an aero press, one of the brothers had been a plumber who used to service machines for Costa, the penny started to drop! And now I’m in this forum with an espresso machine at home. I haven’t been to one of those multinationals since, well, before then sometime!! But they are cool places to meet people I guess and surely not a bad place to earn pocket money in these times👍

• Like 1

Funnily enough I just saw something on my local Nextdoor app from a local Costa Drive thru manager looking for 2 new members of staff so  business must be good. I cant honestly remember the last time I went in a Costa even before Covid times. My mum used to insist to meet there but always annoyed me having to pay for an extra shot to even get a milk drink even slightly tasting of coffee. And that's not even those crazy extra large ones that people love to clutch as they walk around as if some kind of status symbol 🤷‍♂️

I must admit that in summer I am partial to a Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino (coffee not cream).