IGNORED

Changing shower screen has a major impact to expresso brew

Hi, 

I have been trying to dial in my expresso shots.  Before swapping the shower screen of my Gaggia Classic Pro, I was getting a ratio of 1:2 with my 18g basket in about 15 seconds.   However,  after swapping the shower screen to an IMS precision Nanotech shower screen,  I was getting the same ratio in 25 seconds.   This is with consideration that the same beans, grind size, tamp and workflow did not change. 

Is it normal for the shower screen to have such a large influence on the expresso brew?

Thanks in advance. 

DH

Edited by Daveh

• Daveh changed the title to Changing shower screen has a major impact to expresso brew
Just now, Daveh said:

Hi, 

I have been trying to dial in my expresso shots.  Before swapping the shower screen of my Gaggia Classic Pro, I was getting a ratio of 1:2 with my 18g basket in about 15 seconds.   However,  after swapping the shower screen to an IMS precision Nanotech shower screen,  I was getting the same ratio in 25 seconds.   This is with consideration that the same beans, grind size, tamp and workflow did not change. 

Does the shower screen had such a large influence on the expresso brew?

Thanks in advance. 

DH

Hi Daveh, welcome.

It's possible. 

So, now that you know... Have you tried disproving the theory? i.e.: What happens if you put the old shower screen back? Do your shots run significant faster?

I had a similar experience using a puck screen from Shades of Coffee: https://www.shadesofcoffee.co.uk/mod-products-for-e61-based-espresso-machines/stainless-steel-puck-screen-or-contact-screen-585mm

Interestingly, it makes my shots run faster, but, effectively, I'm adding a new screen. So, the theory is that there's better water flow, more evenly, through the puck. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

44 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Hi Daveh, welcome.

It's possible. 

So, now that you know... Have you tried disproving the theory? i.e.: What happens if you put the old shower screen back? Do your shots run significant faster?

I had a similar experience using a puck screen from Shades of Coffee: https://www.shadesofcoffee.co.uk/mod-products-for-e61-based-espresso-machines/stainless-steel-puck-screen-or-contact-screen-585mm

Interestingly, it makes my shots run faster, but, effectively, I'm adding a new screen. So, the theory is that there's better water flow, more evenly, through the puck. 

Hey MRS,

Really appreciate your feedback!

I did not try swapping back the old shower screen (just being lazy 😁).  A better shower screen should provide better water flow into the puck but I did not expect such a huge change in the time of the shot (from 15 to 25 seconds)!  I was just wanting to get feedback if others had experienced the same. 

I guess that saves me the need to grind even finer which I would assume would give better extraction. 😁