Coffee Forums banner

Possibly Gaggia 3-way valve issues?

675 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  El carajillo 
#1 ·
I've got a new baby which practically uses the same internals as the classic so I've read. I only use this machine for steaming milk but in the future plan to implement variable pressure control for a bit of fun.

I attempted to pull a shot yesterday and when trying to run water through the PF with no coffee in the spouted PF, the water is getting shot out of the spouts horizontally. Is this normal? The water seemed very aerated. I've never used a spouted PF before and the naked 58mm PF I used on my silvia doesn't fit.

I ran a test shot through it and when the shot ended, I heard it dump to the drip tray but it sounded like it remained open and I could hear air expelling from the drip tray for a long time. Also, when the machine is heating up in the mornings, sometimes I can hear steam (but not see it) coming from group or possibly the tray, so sounds like perhaps the valve is sticking? I did give the valve a good clean as it was caked with coffee inside but perhaps is needs a better clean or any other advice? Hopefully it doesn't need a new valve as I probably wouldn't bother spending this much money on what is frankly a pretty ugly machine that I bought for £35!

Thanks for any info.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.