IGNORED

Knob Hand Grinder (Kickstarter)

Don't think this has been posted yet. Pretty peculiar product with some interesting engineering (at least I haven't seen grinders where the shaft rotates instead). Atm you can back one up for $208 (not sure about taxes), which comes at £150 ish with shipping (Revolut rates). WDYT?

Product page on KS

Edited by Zeak
  • Like 1

Interesting. It does look pretty wide though, and with a full metal construction and no textured finish/silicone band/thumb stopper, I do wonder how comfortable it will be in the hand.

Also, like the comparison chart in the marketing material for the Eureka Single Dose, some of their comparisons with other premium hand grinders are highly questionable! 

Grind Time - 3* vs 2* - ehh, plenty of other hand grinders out there that can achieve 18g for espresso in 50s (many do it in less)

Affordability - 3* vs 2* - at full retail price for $285, there are plenty of excellent hand grinders out there costing less

Foldable Handle - 3* vs 1* - what does this even mean, a grinder either has one or doesn't, this is far from the first one to offer this

I could go on, but I know this is all marketing guff, the proof will be in the pudding :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Bicky said:

Interesting. It does look pretty wide though, and with a full metal construction and no textured finish/silicone band/thumb stopper, I do wonder how comfortable it will be in the hand.

Also, like the comparison chart in the marketing material for the Eureka Single Dose, some of their comparisons with other premium hand grinders are highly questionable! 

Grind Time - 3* vs 2* - ehh, plenty of other hand grinders out there that can achieve 18g for espresso in 50s (many do it in less)

Affordability - 3* vs 2* - at full retail price for $285, there are plenty of excellent hand grinders out there costing less

Foldable Handle - 3* vs 1* - what does this even mean, a grinder either has one or doesn't, this is far from the first one to offer this

I could go on, but I know this is all marketing guff, the proof will be in the pudding :classic_smile:

Yeah, all valid points really. I do however like the overall design of it, how the adjustments are made, how the handle detaches and reattaches for portability and how the measuring cup acts as a chamber cap. Neat. A bit odd that you have to essentially grind counter-clockwise because of the whole switcheroo thing.

2 minutes ago, pj.walczak said:

In October, etzinger will release their first hand grinder. 

This is a company, with huge experience in designing burrs, ten electric grinders.

So I have high hopes for the hand grinder:

https://etzinger-ag.com/manual-grinders-en/etz-i

Ohh, nice. More competition! Any inkling/info on the pricing though?

1 hour ago, Zeak said:

Yeah, all valid points really. I do however like the overall design of it, how the adjustments are made, how the handle detaches and reattaches for portability and how the measuring cup acts as a chamber cap. Neat. A bit odd that you have to essentially grind counter-clockwise because of the whole switcheroo thing.

I like the design as well, the thumbscrews are a nice touch.

I hadn't noticed the reversed grind direction until you mentioned it, that would take a bit of getting used to! Going clockwise just seems natural, but maybe that's just because that's what I'm used to?

That etzinger does look lovely as well.

"Even grinding", "perfect consistency"...which of course, they have no references for. Many other grinders make the same claim...in order to show their uniqueness.

Reminds of my dad lecturing me about dressing like my mates as a teenager, "You're just conforming to non-conformity!" :-)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MWJB said:

"Even grinding", "perfect consistency"...which of course, they have no references for. Many other grinders make the same claim...in order to show their uniqueness.

Reminds of my dad lecturing me about dressing like my mates as a teenager, "You're just conforming to non-conformity!" 🙂

I've got nothing of value to add to the grinder discussion, but this last comment 😂 my parents too, verbatim!

• Like 1