IGNORED

One thing that has changed your coffee life

dfk41

I am a pretty rigid, inflexible sort of person. When I hold a view I tend to stick with it. But, I was thinking about the thread title and realised that perhaps I am being a bit harsh on myself. When I was working I often had to make 4 or 5 coffees on the trot. For that reason, I always preferred a decent big grinder with a hopper. It just made life so easy. Having had most of the usual suspects I always came back to the Mythos. Fantastic grind quality, quick, easy to use. I did once buy a Versalab. Kept it 2 weeks and could not wait to sell it. I hated the whole concept of single dosing! Years later I bought a Ceado  E92S modded to single dose, but it took so long to grind. The process was farcical. Along came the Niche! I met Martin Nicholson after hearing about this project and he rang me at home one Saturday evening at 9.30! We chatted for what seemed like ages. I mentioned to him that I knew two people who might be able to help him with some constructive feedback and we left it there.

He rang again 2 weeks later. I was in hospital having come off the operating table a couple of hours earlier and he explained he was wanting to go to fund raising within a few months. The grinder already had 3 prototypes, was 3 or 4 years into the project and the design was pretty fixed, Fund raising was needed to meet the tooling costs. At this point I made 2 phone calls to my two friends. One was about to go on holiday and the other was mildly interested as it was British. Martin met with @DavecUKand the rest is history.

I bought two Niches from the first batch sold on Indiegogo. It took its place next to my Mythos and I did use it a bit. I moved house and was not gifted the same amount of space for coffee. I had a Clima Pro as well. Then lockdown came and with it an end to the casual caller. So, I decided to sell the CP and keep the Niche. It suited my needs. Now lockdown has lifted, I have asked myself shall I go back and buy a big grinder again, and the simple answer is no! The advantages that the Niche offers, from price point to workflow to flavour are simply put, too good. How about ditching the Niche and going down the now popular route of expensive single dosers? I am a conical man and it seems not many of them cater for my needs. Would my taste buds be capable of detecting a bean ground on a 3k grinder. No! Am I am too old now to be swayed by the willie waggling that goes on.

So, the point of this is to ask folks to share, if they have something that has totally changed their coffee routine around, and why.

Edited by dfk41
  • Like 5

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

@dfk41 Great post!  I am still a fresher as far as the coffee routine is concerned. The below is a repeat as I may have already posted earlier. 

We are from a traditional Indian filter coffee drinking family. Like every one of us, this habit stopped when I moved out. There wasn't anything called as a coffee routine for a the greater part of my life; I ended up drinking what was available - tea, coffee - brewed, powder, nespresso, espresso from several cheap machines. The last one died on us about a year back. Since then, we have been drinking mostly tea and powder coffee until I accidently viewed James Hoffman's videos and joined the forum early this year. I am glad I did as I was frustrated with what I was drinking most of the time. 

In all fairness, JH's video re-kindled my interest in coffee and this lovely forum completely transformed my coffee routine! My family thinks I am probably possessed by some spirits of some sorts ! 😃

Our morning coffee routine, these days, is grind 2 x 18g on JX Pro, pull two back to back shots on Evo, and add milk and enjoy. If we have time, we clever brew 20g: 225g for 30 minutes to get about 175g of black coffee. On working days, we do not get time to steam in the morning. We probably steam 3 times x 300 ml a week including week ends. 

Thanks!

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee
  • Like 3

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernhard Shaw

The Niche grinder has had the most impact on my coffee routine, it's so easy to use, especially when you have a few different coffees on the  go and move from espresso to pour over. Roasting my own means I hate to see the waste and cost caused by purging or dialling in the grind.

I actually had to think about it a bit, because in a sense the Niche has become invisible....something I don't need to think about.

• Like 5

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

For me lever espresso machines were the game changers.

Cafelat Robot, Arrarex caravel and Londinium R (my current one). 

I love both the workflow and taste. There are some limitation of course, but still I would not exchange the lever for pump driven machine. 

My next mission is to convince my sister to change NS Musica for ACS Evo Leva ;) 

Another eye-opener was Kazak Coffee machine, I was so surprised that such small and cheap machine can make such delicious espresso. 

https://coffe.kazak.com.pl/en/product/kofemashina-kazak-rota-bezh/

• Like 2

about £350......should suit those who like to take 6 minutes in making a shot........though to be serious, it does not look overpriced

• Like 1

That’s like the Portapresso Rossa. Very similar in concept. And vey cool!

51 minutes ago, pj.walczak said:

Another eye-opener was Kazak Coffee machine, I was so surprised that such small and cheap machine can make such delicious espresso. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Shriken LM burrs on my Monolith Flat, which replaced the original Mythos burrs, have made light roasts easy to extract. Previously, I thought of getting an LR to replace my simple LR, which preinfuses at boiler pressure, but I feel no need now. 

• Like 1

I agree about forums.
I have been frustrated with equipment at various times over the last 40 years.
I upgraded from French press to Atomic in the 80’s and then upgraded from that to a Gaggia Classic in the early Noughties.
Recently, with help from online research I have upgraded again.
Forums and a touch of healthy scepticism have helped immensely.    
Oh, I find that assuming that anyone who operates with a pseudonym is actually a 14 year old boy in Preston helps weed out the crap advice. 

Edited by Pasturemaster

11 minutes ago, Pasturemaster said:

Oh, I find that assuming that anyone who operates with a pseudonym is actually a 14 year old boy in Preston helps weed out the crap advice. 

I beg your pardon........I am 15 and from Luton!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

I beg your pardon........I am 15 and from Luton!

BTW @dfk41 the new avatar is a 180 deg change from what you previously had :)

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

@John Yossarian I know......thing is, I have a fixation on fantasy and how it relates to talking about coffee at the moment. it will probably be short lived and crash and burn, but until then, this avatar has pride of place😂

• Like 2