Coffee Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Distilled water

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rob1 
#1 ·
Where is everyone getting there distilled/demineralised from?

Having a hard time find it and everything I do find is massively overpriced.

Iv got some time off work so I'm going down the water for coffee rabbit hole.

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a water distiller. Can't remember the exact cost but it was around £70 on ebay a few years back. Still working with no signs of having to replace anything yet.

There's a new thing called the Skuma that's supposed to be released soon that remineralises RO on demand, you can use a concentrate they sell or one you make if you want to just add alkalinity and avoid scale in an espresso machine. The Osmio and undercounter RO units will give you pretty much pure water to remineralise yourself. If you're going to be using a large amount per day a distiller will be a pita to use.

You can buy distilled water in large quantities from chemical suppliers like APC pure. 25 litres will set you back £15.90 https://www.apcpure.com/product/distilled-water/?attribute_pack-size=2.5L&gclid=CjwKCAjwgviIBhBkEiwA10D2j18eLeqwvS8xkgpt9dmRSk5xKga01Cy5ivuCQMylq8i_OJq4AIsYbBoCe68QAvD_BwE

I guess it's not a bad solution as you can just add 1.68g Sodium Bicarb straight to the bottle to get 40mg/l Alkalinity....or more if you want more. The only concern would be how long that water is going to be sitting there in a partially empty bottle, you could decant into smaller ones and keep them sealed somewhere ready to use.

#11 ·
I have a water distiller. Can't remember the exact cost but it was around £70 on ebay a few years back. Still working with no signs of having to replace anything yet.

There's a new thing called the Skuma that's supposed to be released soon that remineralises RO on demand, you can use a concentrate they sell or one you make if you want to just add alkalinity and avoid scale in an espresso machine. The Osmio and undercounter RO units will give you pretty much pure water to remineralise yourself. If you're going to be using a large amount per day a distiller will be a pita to use.

You can buy distilled water in large quantities from chemical suppliers like APC pure. 25 litres will set you back £15.90 https://www.apcpure.com/product/distilled-water/?attribute_pack-size=2.5L&gclid=CjwKCAjwgviIBhBkEiwA10D2j18eLeqwvS8xkgpt9dmRSk5xKga01Cy5ivuCQMylq8i_OJq4AIsYbBoCe68QAvD_BwE

I guess it's not a bad solution as you can just add 1.68g Sodium Bicarb straight to the bottle to get 40mg/l Alkalinity....or more if you want more. The only concern would be how long that water is going to be sitting there in a partially empty bottle, you could decant into smaller ones and keep them sealed somewhere ready to use.
Is there an issue with leaving the distilled water for a long period of time? I think this is the route I will take, buying it seems as easier option right now then just adding the required minerals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.