Coffee Forums banner

Niche Zero VAT/Duty rates Ireland

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shaun**** 
#1 ·
Hey. Anyone from Ireland buy a Niche grinder and know what the VAT/Duty rates were? Or anyone know in general? Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
I just asked them about this as it was very confusing on their website and the response I got was a bit of a shock imo:

We have a standard price of £499 for all customers, so you will need to pay this price

That means that the base UK price ex VAT is £415.83 (£499 inc VAT @ 20%), but the base international price ex VAT is £499. They're effectively pocketing the £83 difference for international customers.

I would say it's a very discriminatory approach to take and it's certainly not in keeping with the principles of VAT.

The correct treatment would be to remove UK VAT for international purchases and have the customer pay local VAT on arrival in their country, i.e. the same base price for all.

Shame. I'll have to look for another grinder.

-jp

#4 ·
I just asked them about this as it was very confusing on their website and the response I got was a bit of a shock imo:

We have a standard price of £499 for all customers, so you will need to pay this price

That means that the base UK price ex VAT is £415.83 (£499 inc VAT @ 20%), but the base international price ex VAT is £499. They're effectively pocketing the £83 difference for international customers.

I would say it's a very discriminatory approach to take and it's certainly not in keeping with the principles of VAT.

The correct treatment would be to remove UK VAT for international purchases and have the customer pay local VAT on arrival in their country, i.e. the same base price for all.

Shame. I'll have to look for another grinder.

-jp
What if you where to purchase a second hand one. What is the tax then. Or do you have a friend in the UK to purchase one and send you it as a gift could you send them the money. Or I could just be talking a load of whatever as it breaks regulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.