Coffee Forums banner

Sugar !!! ? ? ?

2K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Irisco 
#1 ·
Hello people

Just a thought , Do any members put sugar in their coffee ?

I won't post my opinion yet , See what other do

:coffee:

#9 ·
I'm slowly lowering the amount in my coffees. I mean, drink it how you want.

#11 ·
Never. Not saying you shouldn't if you like it, but if I make a cup of coffee that tastes like it needs to be sweetened, I double check how I made it, if that is normal & the last 8 or 9 coffees made the same way tasted good, then I suspect the coffee itself.

If a coffee seems balanced to me that's fine (doesn't need to be very sweet, just not particularly bitter, maybe similar sweetness to ripe fruit?), great if it is sweeter than normal, but the natural perceived sweetness in coffee is typically pretty delicate (sometimes not), sugar acts like a "sledgehammer of sweetness" to me & obscures any natural perceived sweetness.

But...oh dear, I think I just lied (hopefully no one will notice)...I do enjoy the odd coffee liqueur, even the odd Irish/Russian/Calypso coffee, or espresso Martini. But the coffee in these cases is not usually made by me.

Anyhow, I'm not a zealot in this respect, I like dark chocolate but occasionally indulge in milk & accept that lots of people prefer this...coffee seem similar to me in this respect. People are introduced to something with a certain characteristic & base their subsequent expectation around that.

#13 ·
When I'm dialling in a coffee I generally have it black and unsweetened with a little hot water added.
Once that's done I generally drink it as an Americano with a dash of milk and half a Hermasetas tablet.
I use less than that sometimes now as I have become lactose intolerant and Lactose free milk is naturally sweeter.
If I am out I usually add a teaspoon of sugar or fake equivalent. It generally makes the coffee drinkable.
I'm there for the social aspect not the coffee. :)

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I used to have sugar with my Cappuccino. Stopped doing that in 2004 and have never put sugar in my coffee again. Once I tried but I simply did not like the taste. I am afraid it is irreversible for me.

Reactions: MediumRoastSteam
#15 ·
For me, it started as a kid. My dad started the trend saying "Why do you need sugar? Life is sweet enough". 😉 - then my mum followed and I too followed.

can't stand sugar in coffee or tea, and neither appreciate coffee mixed with any sweets (cake, biscuits, condensed milk, etc). I even tried recently cafe Bonbon and iced cafe Bonbon, but that doesn't really suit my palate either. The exception is a good Tiramisù, but only from selected people. 👍

It's irreversible for me too it seems.

#18 ·
For me, it started as a kid. My dad started the trend saying "Why do you need sugar? Life is sweet enough". 😉 - then my mum followed and I too followed.

can't stand sugar in coffee or tea, and neither appreciate coffee mixed with any sweets (cake, biscuits, condensed milk, etc). I even tried recently cafe Bonbon and iced cafe Bonbon, but that doesn't really suit my palate either. The exception is a good Tiramisù, but only from selected people. 👍

It's irreversible for me too it seems.
I can tempt you with my tiramisu but you are a bit far from where I live 😀

Reactions: MediumRoastSteam
#16 ·
Thanks for your input folks

My side is this , How could anyone do it , Lovely rich flovoured beens tainted with sugar ,

If suger is added it masks the flavour of the extraction , BOO BAD PEOPLE 😂

:coffee: with NO suger for me please , I have my machine on now getting up to 93 degrees for the firts of the day

#20 ·
Thanks for your input folks

My side is this , How could anyone do it , Lovely rich flovoured beens tainted with sugar ,

If suger is added it masks the flavour of the extraction , BOO BAD PEOPLE 😂

:coffee: with NO suger for me please , I have my machine on now getting up to 93 degrees for the firts of the day
About 15-20% of the general population is what's known as H.S.P. (a Highly Sensitive Person). Have a look at the work of Dr Elaine Aron if you like. These people have central nervous systems that are slightly more evolved and as a result they're much more sensitive to input stimuli (sound, touch, light, taste, smell, feelings, weather, etc.)

I'm one of these HSPs. Even with a well-extracted coffee, it is too inherently bitter for me to enjoy without sugar. I've tried to wean myself off more than several times but no matter how long I go without sugar I just don't enjoy coffee without. Life's too short.... so sugar in coffee for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.