IGNORED

Worka Wuri Ethiopia Anaerobic Ferment Natural Yirgacheffe - Forum Deal?

BlackCatCoffee

Mine landed this morning. I have around 2 weeks worth of beans in the queue in front of it. Looking forward to trying it - there was a very promising whiff as I opened the parcel.

Just tried to pulls on my  Niche/Vesuvius combo. The Niche was calibrated for the previous roast- *(medium-dark) and the first pull almost choked the machine. Second pull (2 notches less) poured beautifully. Its VERY different from anything else I've tasted.. me like! (18in40out in 40+ secs) inc a 20 sec preinfusion

• Like 1

Arrived today! Missed delivery so had to go and fetch it. Will give it few more days before trying but will report back. Could smell it through the packaging in the post office 

Had a couple of cups of this today (through the V60 and Aeropress) and not really made my mind up on it yet. Getting a lot of chocolate first of all and then natural, fruity notes underneath - I think kiwi is a good descriptor. It's certainly unusual, but nice. Might leave it a day or two and see if it evolves any more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrahamSPhillips said:

Just tried to pulls on my  Niche/Vesuvius combo. The Niche was calibrated for the previous roast- *(medium-dark) and the first pull almost choked the machine. Second pull (2 notches less) poured beautifully. Its VERY different from anything else I've tasted.. me like! (18in40out in 40+ secs) inc a 20 sec preinfusion

Might need resting? I tend not to try espresso until two weeks or so. 

This one is filter for me, but I might give it a go through the robot in a few weeks! 

Currently drinking black cat Costa Rica with blueberry notes. It's an incredibly sweet coffee with a real blueberry/blackberry ish acidity. 

• Like 1

Maybe it’s just me… but when the pros roast coffee, I find I prefer drinking it straight away (I.e: whenever it arrives, usually 2-3 days after post roast).

if I have a go at roasting coffee, I find the beans need resting for about 2 weeks to become drinkable. Hence why I gave up on roasting all together and leave it with those who know what they are doing. 

I had conversations about this with the cognoscenti, and the conclusion seems that resting for longer periods of time mutes, masks, tames, roasting imperfections and defects rather than improve the quality of the coffee. 

One of the things I always wondered why I can order a coffee from a professional roaster which was roasted today and drink it tomorrow or the day after, but the same was never applicable to my own roasts.

Hence why I’ll drink this straight away! 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Gave it a go through the Niche Zero and Clever Dripper, really nice brew. I am getting florals with a zing of kiwi and maybe blueberry with a nice chocolate taste afterwards. Very similar to North Star's Booksia if anyone has tried that. Really nice and easy to brew as filter, thanks for the great service @BlackCatCoffee

• Like 1

I had another go today through the V60 and getting some more florals this time (also thought there was a bit of blueberry like @AdmDaveW). It's certainly an elegant brew and very different. Looking forward to trying it again tomorrow, especially as I noticed I've been grinding a step higher than normal. Will go back to my usual grind tomorrow and see what this brings.

11 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Maybe it’s just me… but when the pros roast coffee, I find I prefer drinking it straight away (I.e: whenever it arrives, usually 2-3 days after post roast).

if I have a go at roasting coffee, I find the beans need resting for about 2 weeks to become drinkable. Hence why I gave up on roasting all together and leave it with those who know what they are doing. 

I had conversations about this with the cognoscenti, and the conclusion seems that resting for longer periods of time mutes, masks, tames, roasting imperfections and defects rather than improve the quality of the coffee. 

One of the things I always wondered why I can order a coffee from a professional roaster which was roasted today and drink it tomorrow or the day after, but the same was never applicable to my own roasts.

Hence why I’ll drink this straight away! 

Interesting! I rarely wait for filter, but espresso I often find it chokes then a coarse grind doesn't give great results, but after some degassing it behaves much better and I get that sweet, sweet liquor. 

Then again, I don't have a high-end grinder with big burrs :) and we all know the grinder is everything...

I'm having my first v60 brew with the Ethiopia tomorrow morning, can't wait - I'll report back! 

18 hours ago, Morningfuel said:

Interesting! I rarely wait for filter, but espresso I often find it chokes then a coarse grind doesn't give great results, but after some degassing it behaves much better and I get that sweet, sweet liquor. 

Then again, I don't have a high-end grinder with big burrs :) and we all know the grinder is everything...

I'm having my first v60 brew with the Ethiopia tomorrow morning, can't wait - I'll report back! 

I don't tend to wait for filter either. Occasionally, I'll notice some differences a few day in, but I wouldn't say they're huge changes. I'm sure I saw James Hoffman (or maybe Maxwell from Colonna) recently say that 24 hours rest is all filter needs.

Anyway, getting a nice sweetness from these beans now. Not sure what was up my tastebuds when I first tried them!

Tuesday is when I'll do the first one. 🙂 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

I did a v60 that was delicious, one of the nicest naturals I’ve had.

I tried an espresso and it was nice, but the flavours were much more muted and I didn’t get any of the more interesting flavours I could taste in the pour over. I think I’ll let it rest a bit longer for espresso and try again. I only had one go though, and it wasn’t fully dialled in so that might also be the cause, it took 50 secs for a 1:2 shot with 15g coffee.

• Like 1

Tried an espresso, and a flat white. Personally, I can’t taste any of the tasting notes expected with an anaerobic (maybe very vague). It’s nice, comforting. I noticed that, compared to the coffee a I usually like, it’s significant darker. I’ll keep going, will try with temperature decreased by a couple of degrees snd see where it goes.

5 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Tried an espresso, and a flat white. Personally, I can’t taste any of the tasting notes expected with an anaerobic (maybe very vague). It’s nice, comforting. I noticed that, compared to the coffee a I usually like, it’s significant darker. I’ll keep going, will try with temperature decreased by a couple of degrees snd see where it goes.

I’ve not opened mine yet so don’t know about the roast level but I usually prefer medium-light. I suppose I’ll see when I open it. I would say in my experience ethiopian coffees seem better after a bit longer resting. it could just be coincidence but I normally try and leave them two weeks at least. ones I’ve sampled earlier sometimes seem a bit muddled or nondescript, but then improved noticeably over the next week or two with the flavour notes sharpening up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shaun**** said:

I’ve not opened mine yet so don’t know about the roast level but I usually prefer medium-light. I suppose I’ll see when I open it. I would say in my experience ethiopian coffees seem better after a bit longer resting. it could just be coincidence but I normally try and leave them two weeks at least. ones I’ve sampled earlier sometimes seem a bit muddled or nondescript, but then improved noticeably over the next week or two with the flavour notes sharpening up.

Yup I think this will be best after 2 weeks or so although (I sound like a broken record here) this coffee has filter written all over it for me. 

It is medium light roast, more toward the medium end. 

• Thanks 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Alex Duetto and Alex Leva now in stock!