IGNORED

Puck screen (Bplus, Flair, mesh screen)

Posted (edited)

Just would like to share my experience, if someone interested to try one.

I got interested after watching some videos like this, this and this. I got from the Flair official site, which is a bit cheaper(same Bplus made, but it doesn't come in a plastic box, just in a bubble wrap), and shipping cost much cheaper than from Bplus. 

image.png.5b5102f10c50bc15b1824b01875ee385.png

And I'm enjoying it. Shots became much more consistent. I had to go a bit coarser. Pucks always come out evenly extracted and uniform. Being an owner of hand grinder it's a nice improvement. One thing to mention is with the puck screen I have to dose lower, 16g in my 18VST. 

I found out also this type of puck screen, and wondering if someone has tried it? 

image.png.f398f5c2fe19522582acce7ec4889fb3.png

Edited by ting_tang

2 hours ago, ting_tang said:

I found out also this type of puck screen, and wondering if someone has tried it? 

I have been using one that looks like that for about a week. I got it from Coffee Sensor: they call it a lower shower screen. It seems to give the same results as the Robot paper filters that I had been using previously. Sooner or later, I'll do some A-B comparisons.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mathof said:

It seems to give the same results as the Robot paper filters that I had been using previously

thanks for pointing to it, I didn't know that it exists. I have been playing a while with Aeropress filter, but cutting the paper step took me off from it. 

I'm interested in trying one. The price is fine but shipping fees are horrible, there's really no reason for shipping to be that expensive for something that can just be sent in a padded envelope. I might email both bplus and coffee sensor and see if they can ship it as normal international mail rather than some parcel service. 

On 07/07/2021 at 14:37, ting_tang said:

One thing to mention is with the puck screen I have to dose lower, 16g in my 18VST. 

Can you elaborate on this? Does it not fit properly? I'm also using a Flare 58 puck screen with my 18g VST, with an 18g dose and find that it fits no problem.

The screen is 1.7mm thick and I currently use 15g in a 15g AST.  I still use a paper filter (cut from a #4 cone) on the bottom, but have replaced the Aeropress filter on top with the Bplus.

2 hours ago, Gunder said:

Can you elaborate on this? Does it not fit properly? I'm also using a Flare 58 puck screen with my 18g VST, with an 18g dose and find that it fits no problem.

It will depend on the volume your dose takes up in the basket and shower screen depth, volume of dose will vary with different coffee mainly between light and dark roasts.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gunder said:

I have a Gaggia Classic and with a normal 18g it doesn't lock in the grouphead. I even got a tiny dent on the puck screen.

Edited by ting_tang

I have the flair58.  Using it with a 17g Strada (VST) basket and a 16g dose.

Getting some mixed results - some much better than I have had without, others not so good.  I put the bad shots down to the fact that quite a few parameters change, eg brew temperature, grind size, flow.  I also get quite a lot of donutting, which is probably due to the fact that the screen doesn't fit too snuggly in the basket.

I'm going to persist because I definitely think it has value - once I get accustomed to the slight differences, I think I'll be able to consistently get much better shots.

3 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Found the coffee sensor one sold by Blue star coffee charging 3.50 eur for shipping. Would prefer the bplus/flare so will keep looking.

Mr.Shades had similar ones in stock, even sold double/triple packs. I usually do 2 milk drinks back to back. And I would avoid cleaning the screen between them. If the ones with holes work the same way, I would prefer to use them.

2 hours ago, ting_tang said:

Mr.Shades had similar ones in stock, even sold double/triple packs. I usually do 2 milk drinks back to back. And I would avoid cleaning the screen between them. If the ones with holes work the same way, I would prefer to use them.

That's interesting, I'd have thought the outer rim without any holes would impact things. 

@lake_m ^^^^ - (So we don't de-rail Jake's thread 🙂 ) - Apparently you can get something similar from BlueStarCoffee 👍

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Ah.... I didn't know there was a whole thread about these things. (This is what happens when you're a part-timer 😏) I'd better do some reading. 

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@lake_m ^^^^ - (So we don't de-rail Jake's thread 🙂 ) - Apparently you can get something similar from BlueStarCoffee 👍

Do you have one like from BlueStarCoffee? Have you had a chance to compare or know what is the difference in action between Bplus and BlueStarCoffee kind one? BlueStarCoffee one is thinner, but outer rim without holes.