IGNORED

3d printing services - for wdt tool

hi

i want to get a wdt tool 3d printed (i have the stl files) that has been made by John (Chill'd) for the Espresso Aficionados Discord as found here

But where can I get it printed without it costing me over £30. Print cost is about a fiver but the total cost with spin up etc comes in at £30 on average.

Does anyone have a cheap service?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I tried doing one with my 3D printer, but the holes are so small that it didn't really work. I had much better results with a small drill bit and a bit of 25mm down. Get the right home size and you can just push the needles in and they hold with friction.

12 minutes ago, GrahamSPhillips said:

I've emailed Decent and requested a copy of the files 

You are joking right? Why would they give you the files.

I'm doing this. It has 6 holes you can put from none to 6 needles in. The best needles are 0.3mm after trying from 0.25 to 0.5mm. 0.4 and 0.5mm are way too thick. and more than 5-6 needles are too many, leaving channels and crevasses behind. 

Ideally 3-4 needles, but some people want more, so I went with 6. The support is magnetic, you can put it on your grinder/machine, and the WDT tool because of the needles it get's attracted by the magnet support, so it auto centers and goes into the support.

The WDT comes w/o the needles mounted, they come sealed in a blister of 10 needles, and you all have to bend the base with your fingers and insert it inside. this way you can always remove them easily in case you ever need to (change to different thickness/length or you dropped it and you damaged a needle).

Yes, I make them and sell them.

IMG_20210725_173626.jpg

IMG_20210726_095102.jpg

IMG_20210726_095107.jpg

I printed this with my printer and I really like it makes it very easy to keep the needles in place. I actually used guitar strings, bend them at the upper part and used hot glue to keep them in place (top part): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573913

There are a lot of other designs too: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=wdt+tool&type=things&sort=relevant

On 06/07/2021 at 10:47, spasypaddy said:

hi

i want to get a wdt tool 3d printed (i have the stl files) that has been made by John (Chill'd) for the Espresso Aficionados Discord as found here

But where can I get it printed without it costing me over £30. Print cost is about a fiver but the total cost with spin up etc comes in at £30 on average.

Does anyone have a cheap service?

Thanks

Hi, are you willing to share the files more widely? Our work has just installed a new 3D printer and they’re looking for trial prints. I could ask to print this and report back how it came out with our printer type, model, material, settings etc. Doesn’t help answer your original question but potentially a useful reference?

15 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Hi, are you willing to share the files more widely? Our work has just installed a new 3D printer and they’re looking for trial prints. I could ask to print this and report back how it came out with our printer type, model, material, settings etc. Doesn’t help answer your original question but potentially a useful reference?

yeah no problem. i have had this printed now and its very good

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4819617

• Thanks 1

Hey all,

@ukespresso on Instagram is currently providing these with acupuncture needles for circa £10 posted to the coffee community. I picked one up and can say it is brilliant. A million times better than any homemade style tool.

Tool pictured on the right next to two versions I’ve tried…

it’s the one from a guy on thingiverse that shared it.

2FDECC0D-2548-4E16-A03D-C1B4A60C1D99.jpeg