IGNORED

British spiders

dfk41

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Does anyone know what this one is? It was very fast!

Scotophaeus blackwalli AKA mouse spider, so named after the mouse like fur on the abdomen.

It's a 'ground spider', it hunts by running its prey down, rather than catching it in a web, hence its speediness. Very commonly found indoors.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 4

My wife's arachnophobic. She can spot a moving spider out the corner of her eye in a darkened room at 20ft.  😆

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted (edited)

@MWJB Cheers Mark, I like spiders so am pleased I could catch him and put him out safely!

Edited by dfk41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

Does anyone know what this one is? I think it may have been  in my night pyjamas, which was wearing and working last night. I may have been bitten. 

I always sit with one leg folded. Never had any problems with this posture. When I got up from my seat, I suddenly saw this moving under my feet. My right side ankle is red, a bit sore, a little hot, and slightly  painful. Is this a venomous spider? I am probably over thinking. 

Thanks! 

1AC8E590-A5C0-48BA-BC0E-C5C3EC7BFE12.jpeg

A86F7697-C004-4DD9-93A4-8E5E0737565E.jpeg

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee
another picture

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernhard Shaw

28 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Does anyone know what this one is? I think it may have been  in my night pyjamas, which was wearing and working last night. I may have been bitten. 

I always sit with one leg folded. Never had any problems with this posture. When I got up from my seat, I suddenly saw this moving under my feet. My right side ankle is red, a bit sore, a little hot, and slightly  painful. Is this a venomous spider? I am probably over thinking. 

Thanks! 

This looks like a male Steatoda nobilis (AKA noble false widow). Keep the wound/area clean (as with any insect bite/scratch) and you won't have any long term consequences. Soreness and a mild flu like symptoms lasting a couple of days are reported. There are no dangerous spiders indigenous/naturalised in the UK, so don't worry unnecessarily. I am looking at 2 of these in my living room right now. At the other end of the flat I have multiple Steatoda grossa (close relation). They are very well established in Southern UK.

It's also reported that the males don't bite, but I've not taken one for the team on that score. :-) Thanks for your contribution on that front! :-)

Females are much plumper in the behind and tend to stick to their webs, high up, warmer areas. Males stop feeding (hence its raisin like body), then go walkabout on maturity, looking for females. They can turn up in odd/unexpected places. Neither sex are aggressive (avoid contact when they can) but if you accidentally squish their mouthparts against your skin, bites can occur. Leaving clothes on/sitting on the floor increases chances of contact...but like I said, males can turn up anywhere, however they are far less common than females. So again, don't have nightmares.

All spiders (except one) use venom to suppress their prey, most can't pierce human skin, of those that can, only a few in the UK can produce symptoms from the venom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWJB said:

This looks like a male Steatoda nobilis (AKA noble false widow). Keep the wound/area clean (as with any insect bite/scratch) and you won't have any long term consequences. Soreness and a mild flu like symptoms lasting a couple of days are reported. There are no dangerous spiders indigenous/naturalised in the UK, so don't worry unnecessarily. I am looking at 2 of these in my living room right now. At the other end of the flat I have multiple Steatoda grossa (close relation). They are very well established in Southern UK.

It's also reported that the males don't bite, but I've not taken one for the team on that score. 🙂 Thanks for your contribution on that front! 🙂

Females are much plumper in the behind and tend to stick to their webs, high up, warmer areas. Males stop feeding (hence its raisin like body), then go walkabout on maturity, looking for females. They can turn up in odd/unexpected places. Neither sex are aggressive (avoid contact when they can) but if you accidentally squish their mouthparts against your skin, bites can occur. Leaving clothes on/sitting on the floor increases chances of contact...but like I said, males can turn up anywhere, however they are far less common than females. So again, don't have nightmares.

All spiders (except one) use venom to suppress their prey, most can't pierce human skin, of those that can, only a few in the UK can produce symptoms from the venom.

Jeez Mark! Is there anything, which you do not know!  😂

Thank you so much. I did go and speak to the pharmacist this afternoon. She said not to worry, although did recommend applying an anti-allergy cream and take antihistamines for a couple of days. 

It’s sore over a very large area like a doughnut - 12 cm in diameter! 🤣

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

at least it didn't bite you in the testicles.

uh oh oops GIF by Boomerang Official

• Like 1

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernhard Shaw

1 minute ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Jeez Mark! Is there anything, which you do not know!  😂

I know a little about a very few specific things, otherwise I know next to nothing about everything else :-) In other words, you've just been very lucky with your questions...or, I was lucky you happened to ask the right ones! :-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crownandcanvas said:

I discovered a spider on the inside of my motorcycle helmet the other morning, put it on... pulled my visor down and there he was.

I'm glad I was stationary at the time otherwise I dread what I would have done 😂

My biggest spider surprise(both me & it) was a mouse spider, like @dfk41, that was having a nap in my harmonica... 😮😀 We both survived the incident & went our separate ways.

Edited by MWJB

2 minutes ago, MWJB said:

My biggest spider surprise(both me & it) was a mouse spider, like @dfk41, that was having a nap in my harmonica... 😮😀 We both survived the incident & went our separate ways.

Oh no! That's actual nightmare material!

When I was about 17 I worked for a reptile and exotic animal shop not far from me. While I was there they had the single most aggressive female Goliath bird eating spider I've ever seen, she absolutely terrified me, fascinating but equally as terrifying. One day a chap just wandered in and bought her, said he had quite the collection. Still haunts me to this day 😂 

• Like 1

www.crownandcanvas.co.uk  // Staffordshire - UK

Banner.png

This one is hanging around on the wall, but doesn’t seem to move much.

Sorry about the photo quality. My phone is a few pair of years old. 

817A2EE8-EB27-45D7-80C4-07F7912ECAEE.jpeg

edit: little fella woken up. Managed to take a better photo:

9A7AD0DB-A21A-4F58-9821-2B4011E559E1.jpeg

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

2 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

This one is hanging around on the wall, but doesn’t seem to move much.

Sorry about the photo quality. My phone is a few pair of years old. 

817A2EE8-EB27-45D7-80C4-07F7912ECAEE.jpeg

Looks like the same as mine! Mark would know. 😊

• Like 1

A few years ago I awoke to find my bottom lip was swollen ( like the latest fashion for silly women)

After a couple of days it got a little worse so I ventured to the doctors ( managed to get an appointment)

After he checked with a magnifing glass a spider bite was blamed, apparentley they visit us in the night.

The swelling went down after a couple of days and I no longer looked like Leslie Ash.

It was a great source of entertainment for my friends and family.

• Like 3