Jump to content
IGNORED

Flair 58


newdent
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, let's start a new topic as the old one got taken over and locked (sorry!). 

I had an email from Doppio today saying they *hope* they will have stock in August. 

Anyone got theirs yet? Interested with results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the moments passed for me. The more I look at it the more I think it’s worth waiting for the second version if not at all.

Seems there’s a few QC issues and I can’t get over the cable arrangement, just seems a bit DIY somehow.

@newdent Are you still keen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chriss29 said:

I think the moments passed for me. The more I look at it the more I think it’s worth waiting for the second version if not at all.

Seems there’s a few QC issues and I can’t get over the cable arrangement, just seems a bit DIY somehow.

@newdent Are you still keen?

Would be quite some time for a second version though wouldn't it?

I just don't think I could go back to an espresso machine that doesn't have pressure control. Obviously end goal is the decent but I don't think I'd be able to justify that cost for a long time. 

I remember pondering on the things I liked and disliked about the robot and the flair *almost* coves all bases. I don't like the materials the 58 looks to be made from, it looks like that cheap metal that home gym equipment is made from. I've read the thing flexes a fair bit during use. 

I can live with the power pack because part of the 58's appeal is being able to pre-heat. The power pack seems like it could be better. Apparently it's possible to misalign one of the connectors in a way that allows damage to the controller. 

So yes, a few issues. I have no allegiance to the flair, if there was another option I'd go for it but there's no other options I know of! Please let me know if you know any!

Edited by newdent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am going to get the Flair 58 when it arrives into the UK.  I too have been told by Doppio that it should be in August and that there will also be a non-heated version i.e. without the electrical connection.........interesting!

However I don't think it looks all that bad, after all if you buy an item with a heated element of some kind it has to draw power somehow.  Yes the electrical connector could look better as I think overall the Flair is a great looking lever machine.  The wood accents etc on Flair 58 look neat, I like machines like the Bianca with wood handles/paddles etc.

You asked a question re alternatives and the only real competitors to Flair appear to be Cafelat (Robot) and Rok.  Apart from that if you want a more mechanical lever machine then there are the La Pavoni's but then you get into the realms of greater maintenance such as descaling etc.

I'm all for the Flair 58 at the present time and cannot wait for it to arrive on our shores.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys

Here is a further thought/question.........do you think the purchase of a Niche Zero would further enhance the use of the Flair 58 or would you believe a decent hand grinder, such as the 1zpresso JE Plus, would marry nicely with the manual lever.  I will probably settle down making circa 4 coffees per day, albeit double espressos may be pulled as single shots i.e. just 2 lever pulls per day, once the novelty dies down (clearly to begin with I will be keen to try it out and like most of us go overboard with its initial use.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having used a few manual grinders before... For me at least, irrespective of whether you want to be "involved" with the process... A motorised grinder for me works best. 

There were times I just couldn't be bothered to grind manually first thing in the morning. Even if it only took 30 seconds (plus cleaning up/mess/faff). 

Dialling in a new bean could be an interesting experience. 🙂 

 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

For what it's wort, I thought I give a little update. My Flair 58 came about 3 weeks ago and I only now had the time to play around with it. 

I use it at a location when I am not at home as I have a lelit Biance there. It's the office and other place I regularly work from for longer period of time. Especially for this purpose it's absolutely brilliant. The footprint is relatively small, the Espresso is great and the process of preparation is a joy - if you take it as '7 minute' break from the day.  You don't need to massively 30-45 minutes pre-heat and for 2-3 Coffees a day it absolutely serves it purpose and you don't have the energy consumption.

It feels high-quality, although the portafilter-holder feels more like a chinese-one. Compared to the heavier Lelit. However that can be changed over time. And most of all it's fun to use. As written everywhere the chargerblock, cable-work for the heating element is very bulky and kills the design a bit. However therefore it works brilliant. So that's a small pain I am willing to deal with.

In hindsight is it worth for me after this short period of time ? Yes - for my purposes: a decent espresso when I am not at my home location. Would I buy it again as a 2nd device as I originally intended ? No. Will I take it back home now ? No. Is it worth the price ? Difficult to judge. For the portability and footprint, its justified over buying a couple of bigger chunky machines for me.

I think its great for people wo work longer on different locations, have 2nd homes, gardensheds, campervans etc. and want to enjoy good espresso there. Basically everywhere where you normally would put a slim-pod-machine, this thing can go. If you do have your 7 minutes of prep time.

Hope this helps others.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting… 

One thing I noticed: first shot, the PF is cold. On the second shot, he says not to rinse the PF to maintain heat. 🤷‍♂️. Personally, I’d rinse the PF in boiling water on my first shot. 

  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just noticed the 58x is only $80 less than the heated version. I'm not sure what you'd go for the X to only save $80?

Has anyone had an update from Doppio as to when they'll get the 58 in stock? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Chriss29 said:

I've just noticed the 58x is only $80 less than the heated version. I'm not sure what you'd go for the X to only save $80?

Has anyone had an update from Doppio as to when they'll get the 58 in stock? 

No I haven't heard anything, Doppio have been very quiet and the prices are about to go up as well, Flair have held them down for as long as they could.

Someone is selling one on Ebay at the moment but it's not a bargain!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114924858240?hash=item1ac20e2b80:g:XicAAOSw1fBhDc6W

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Irisco said:

No I haven't heard anything, Doppio have been very quiet and the prices are about to go up as well, Flair have held them down for as long as they could.

Someone is selling one on Ebay at the moment but it's not a bargain!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114924858240?hash=item1ac20e2b80:g:XicAAOSw1fBhDc6W

Thanks! I received the email from Flair this morning about the price increase but I don't think it said by how much it will increase. Will be interesting to see, clearly it's been popular, which is a good sign.

I've give the ebay one a miss I think :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

So looks like the Flair 58 has been updated already! Seems a good upgrade although it has gone up by $50. That does now include the puck screen though which is good. 

Available October.

Doppio still hoping for the end of this month for stock though I presume this will be the old version now. 

Anyone still interested? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw the email regarding the update. Seems like a better solution than breaking the PF seal to let the air pocket out.

Not as bad a price increase as I anticipated, especially as the puck screen is included. Funny that flair didn't mention there was going to be an update when they encouraged people to snap up the existing flair 58 before the price increase in emails!

I wish the flair had a more traditional water dispersion setup so that is was more comparable to existing pumped machines. With the screen there, there isn't any scope for 'blooming' whilst the headspace is filled. This may not be an important factor but it's certainly something that happens.

I currently use a robot and do think the capability to control temp would be a great feature for light roast drinkers, I certainly wouldn't say no to having the option. It would be too much of a PITA to pre-heat my robot. I'm keeping my eye on the Odyssey Argos, which isn't massively more expensive than the Flair 58 ($850) but it certainly has its issues. Don't think I've seen a good shot poured on it yet on social media and it looked very flimsy when locking the PF in on video.

Either way, I'm in no rush and don't think I'll rush into buying either, especially as both are likely to get updated!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chriss29 said:

So looks like the Flair 58 has been updated already! 

Seems to be their business model - they’ve done it since the original Flair at fairly regular intervals. Could be frustrating if you’ve just bought the ‘latest’ model to find out it’s already been upgraded. Normally backwards compatible though so not too much of an issue nevertheless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

Seems to be their business model - they’ve done it since the original Flair at fairly regular intervals. Could be frustrating if you’ve just bought the ‘latest’ model to find out it’s already been upgraded. Normally backwards compatible though so not too much of an issue nevertheless.

 

2 hours ago, newdent said:

Just saw the email regarding the update. Seems like a better solution than breaking the PF seal to let the air pocket out.

Not as bad a price increase as I anticipated, especially as the puck screen is included. Funny that flair didn't mention there was going to be an update when they encouraged people to snap up the existing flair 58 before the price increase in emails!

I wish the flair had a more traditional water dispersion setup so that is was more comparable to existing pumped machines. With the screen there, there isn't any scope for 'blooming' whilst the headspace is filled. This may not be an important factor but it's certainly something that happens.

I currently use a robot and do think the capability to control temp would be a great feature for light roast drinkers, I certainly wouldn't say no to having the option. It would be too much of a PITA to pre-heat my robot. I'm keeping my eye on the Odyssey Argos, which isn't massively more expensive than the Flair 58 ($850) but it certainly has its issues. Don't think I've seen a good shot poured on it yet on social media and it looked very flimsy when locking the PF in on video.

Either way, I'm in no rush and don't think I'll rush into buying either, especially as both are likely to get updated!

 

5 hours ago, Chriss29 said:

So looks like the Flair 58 has been updated already! Seems a good upgrade although it has gone up by $50. That does now include the puck screen though which is good. 

Available October.

Doppio still hoping for the end of this month for stock though I presume this will be the old version now. 

Anyone still interested? 

Thanks for the info. Doppio really seem to be dragging their heels with this (probably through no fault of their own) but 6 weeks has turned into what feels like 6 months with no communication or updates, seems a strange way to keep customers interested  and now if they do have the older model they will be playing catch up. I do wonder if I wait a bit longer that Flair may make other changes like  programmable temperature settings rather than just low, medium , high. Perhaps I'm hoping for too much from a manual machine that has to fit into a certain price bracket but I do wonder if the Flair 58 is still work in progress. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Yes, I am a fan and just bought one from Doppio. I left my original one in one location and will use this one at work. As my post above stated, I believe it suits my purpose of 2-3 dubble espresso a day perfectly. It's super easy to hold clean and at work I don't want to have my weekly 30 minutes of machine cleaning ritual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Luca06 said:

Yes, I am a fan and just bought one from Doppio. I left my original one in one location and will use this one at work. As my post above stated, I believe it suits my purpose of 2-3 dubble espresso a day perfectly. It's super easy to hold clean and at work I don't want to have my weekly 30 minutes of machine cleaning ritual. 

Agree the cleanup seems really good and you don’t need to worry about scale too I guess ☺️. Can you tell much difference in the espresso compared to your Bianca?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...