Posted (edited)

Hi all

Has anyone been fortunate to buy one of these machines as yet? If so do you have any early thoughts/views on it? 

I think the machine looks great and as I don’t really want to spend more than circa £1250 on a machine it seems to fit the bill, looks great (in my opinion at least), and offers a lot for the money. I also like the next model up which is circa £1500 and is a Dual Boiler machine so perhaps that is also worth considering but after speaking to Bella Barista this afternoon they seem to think a HX machine would suit me more given that I only make milky coffees and only about a max of 4 cups per day.

What do you guys think? 

i know that Dave C has done a review on the top line model costing circa £2500 but I cannot justify spending that given the use I will subject the machine to.  Dave C have you also looked at the HX model I am referring to?

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Les D

Edited by Lesd
Correction of title
  • Lesd changed the title to Crem One HX PID
Posted (edited)

My understanding was that BB pulled the stock off the shop as there was a problem with them (like, a faulty valve or something), and we’re working with Crem to have the issue resolved ASAP.

They do seem great value for money. I don’t think @DavecUK tested the HX version. Irrespective, do you understand the main differences between a Dual Boiler system and an HX system? Nothing wrong with HX, but you need to develop a routine which works for you, involving cooling flushes, recovery time, etc. Personally, unless I had one plumbed in and out so I can flush without having to refill the tank so many times snd emptying the tray, I wouldn’t buy one again. 

I would, however, buy the MaraX as it has software to manage the temperature of the brew path, and would mimic the behaviour of a DB machine to an extent. 

So, if you are thinking of going HX… make sure you do your  research first as it’s not for everyone. 👍

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Hi

Thanks for the info re the Crem, I will look into that more with BB.

Re the HX question in general I also need to try and delve more in the pros and cons of HX vs DB etc. I had, until yesterday, decided to only look at DB’s but BB convinced me a HX would be best and certainly more cost effective. Not sure what you are referring to re the Mara X, which is a machine I had been considering, but then again BB suggested that Lelit as a company were ‘lower rank’ and I should look more at ECM. I did mention Rocket and again BB suggested they were not as good as ECM but better than Lelit.

It all becomes a bit of a minefield and a lottery to some degree. I am new to all of this and at the end of the day just want to be able to enjoy a decent coffee and get into it a bit more.

BTW I had also considered the ACS Minima, which is DB, but BB told me they had pulled them due to too many faults so I was looking for something else yesterday afternoon and came across the Crem. Until yesterday I had not known about Crem.

On a slightly separate note are Cafe Italia OK as a company? They seem to sell a great range of machines and still have the likes of the Crem One and ACS Minima for sale.

Thanks

Les

@Lesd - it’s tricky. Maybe that’s their advice to you, and I can see where they are coming from. The HX system is simpler, but it doesn’t mean it will work for you. Yes, ECMs are better built, and ultimately you’ll be paying for the brand. 

It’s a tricky situation because I started off “properly” on an HX… a Rocket in fact (this was like 8 years ago). Let me but this way: it lasted 2 months. I got so fed up of cooling flushes, and wasting water with it (I used boiler friendly bottled water at a time). Seeing 120ml of clean, bottled water going down the drain twice a day made me quickly realise this wasn’t for me. But this might not be your case: if you live in a soft water area where a brita filter works, then it might be ok. 

if you do get an HX, I strongly advice you get a group head thermometer from so at least you know at which temperature you are pulling your shots at and learn how the machine works. Otherwise you’ll be flying totally blind. 

as for café Italia… you can make that decision.

@BlackCatCoffee stocks the Minima, amongst others. They came a long way since BB stocked them.

I also take you’ve thought about the grinder? Don’t overlook it. It’s as important as the coffee machine itself. For home, and your usage, thing about single dosing in order to minimise retention and wasting coffee with purges. Almost the grinder equivalent of a cooling flush.
ps: many of us have dual boilers at home for 2 cups of coffee a day. That includes me!

😉😊

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Hi

I already have a grinder which I will continue to use. It’s a manual, 1zpresso JE Plus. Eventually I will buy a Niche Zero but for now the JE will be good enough and it can be used with a cordless screwdriver for grinding.

I see you have the Lelit Elizabeth, what do you think of it? I assume it is the updated version which DaveC reviewed.

Les

56 minutes ago, Lesd said:

see you have the Lelit Elizabeth, what do you think of it? I assume it is the updated version which DaveC reviewed.

It is indeed. I really like it.