IGNORED

New Espresso Machine advice please - Lelit vs Rancilio silvia vs other?

Posted (edited)

Although there have been many posts about picking an Espresso machine for a beginner, I thought it might not be too bad to listen to some more ideas.

This forum helped me a lot on choosing eureka specialita (Thank you!). Now I'm looking for a new Expresso Machine for an upgrade. 

I have delonghi dedica as a gift which got me interested in making coffee at home and helped me survive during the lockdown.  Now I'm up to new adventure to pair with eureka specialita.

My budget is around £500, and I'm aware that I need to budget extra £100 for accessories. I normally drink milk coffee, but do drink espresso as well. I prefer not waiting too long during the morning so a short wait time is appreciated. I prefer a new machine if possible. 

So I looked at rancilio silvia v6, and Lelit Grace. Currently I am leaning towards to Lelit but very hesitate due to its 57mm portafilter.  However switching to Lelit Victoria or MaraX does stretch too much of my budget. 

Can I please have some advice on below two points:

1. I read some posts that 57mm portafilter restricts many options. I don't mind buying accessories, like tamper, distributor and bottomless portafilter from original manufacturer. But can I understand what else 57mm pf restricts? 

2. Is there any other machine worth considering?

I am still quite new to home barista so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Yiran
  • Yiran changed the title to New Espresso Machine advice please - Lelit vs Rancilio silvia vs other?

You won’t be able to get some of the aftermarket stuff mainly designed for 58mm system. For instance, VST baskets, box standard group gaskets, tampers, etc. You’ll always have to find a 57mm version of the accessory. They do exist, but are not as popular.

If you enjoy milk drinks, my advice to you is save up, snd buy a second hand HX or DB machine. 

you will get one of the machines above, will enjoy for a while and will be wondering what the next upgrade is. All in all, it’s a false economy, and you’ll spend more money on the long run. So, keep your DeLonghi, save up and stretch your budget to a MaraX, or a Minima, or an Elizabeth. You won’t regret it. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

23 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

You won’t be able to get some of the aftermarket stuff mainly designed for 58mm system. For instance, VST baskets, box standard group gaskets, tampers, etc. You’ll always have to find a 57mm version of the accessory. They do exist, but are not as popular.

If you enjoy milk drinks, my advice to you is save up, snd buy a second hand HX or DB machine. 

you will get one of the machines above, will enjoy for a while and will be wondering what the next upgrade is. All in all, it’s a false economy, and you’ll spend more money on the long run. So, keep your DeLonghi, save up and stretch your budget to a MaraX, or a Minima, or an Elizabeth. You won’t regret it. 

Thank you very much for the advice. 

I'd assume at least Lelit would have aftermarket stuff for 57mm? Although this may be on a more expensive end. 

I did consider MaraX but it doubles the price of Grace, also I'm slightly worried that it might be overqualified for a beginner. So I thought to start from Grace/RS maybe and when my skills become better can seek for an upgrade.

Posted (edited)

@Yiran - Up to you. 🙂  - After all, that's my advice. Take it or leave it. 

3 minutes ago, Yiran said:

I'd assume at least Lelit would have aftermarket stuff for 57mm?

Yes they do. Not aftermarket, but OEM. EspressoUnderground and BellaBarista sell the accessories / parts too. Worth knowing that, at one point, Ascaso also did a 57mm group. It might even be that some parts are interchangeable, I'm not sure. 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

18 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@Yiran - Up to you. 🙂  - After all, that's my advice. Take it or leave it. 

Yes they do. Not aftermarket, but OEM. EspressoUnderground and BellaBarista sell the accessories / parts too. Worth knowing that, at one point, Ascaso also did a 57mm group. It might even be that some parts are interchangeable, I'm not sure. 

Thanks! I will do some research on MaraX as it wasn't an option at all. but I guess there are always thoughts of upgrading anyway no matter how good the machine is already 😉

I know you do have budget constraints, but some retailers sell the Lelit Elizabeth for less than the MaraX, while still being competitively priced (in the below £1050 range in the UK for instance)... In which case, I'd consider the Elizabeth as a better option

• Like 1

An Elizabeth or a MaraX would of course be best, but pushing on just a bit to a Victoria would at least get you on the 58mm standard portafilters? But I can definitely see the sense in saving up some more and going directly to the better machines, they're not a huge amount more (unlike a Bianca, say!).

I've started out with an espresso machine not long ago, with a Sage Bambino Plus, and while there's more aftermarket accessories for 54mm than for 57mm, it's been a bit annoying... At the moment, I'm waiting on the one shop in Europe that sells IMS baskets that will fit to restock!

For that reason, in your existing options, I'd probably go with the Silvia, which has a 58mm portafilter, can get a PID mod later, etc...

On 09/06/2021 at 19:30, Eiffel said:

I know you do have budget constraints, but some retailers sell the Lelit Elizabeth for less than the MaraX, while still being competitively priced (in the below £1050 range in the UK for instance)... In which case, I'd consider the Elizabeth as a better option

Many thanks for the advise. Elizabeth is certainly super but I read some reviews. But its like a rabbit hole and feels like I will stretch my budget endless!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, pphaneuf said:

An Elizabeth or a MaraX would of course be best, but pushing on just a bit to a Victoria would at least get you on the 58mm standard portafilters? But I can definitely see the sense in saving up some more and going directly to the better machines, they're not a huge amount more (unlike a Bianca, say!).

I've started out with an espresso machine not long ago, with a Sage Bambino Plus, and while there's more aftermarket accessories for 54mm than for 57mm, it's been a bit annoying... At the moment, I'm waiting on the one shop in Europe that sells IMS baskets that will fit to restock!

For that reason, in your existing options, I'd probably go with the Silvia, which has a 58mm portafilter, can get a PID mod later, etc...

Yes, I searched around for the baskets for 57mm and other stuff I have to admit there are not many. Not sure I can taste the difference from a IMS basket now but I guess I hopefully will get better sense after skills get improved 

Good advice. Thank you very much. I guess I probably will either stretch it to MaraX or can't wait for a new machine therefore go for Rancilio silvia. 

Edited by Yiran
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Yiran said:

Yes, I searched around for the baskets for 57mm and other stuff I have to admit there are not many. Not sure I can taste the difference from a IMS basket now but I guess I hopefully will get better sense after skills get improved

I'm told it's a big difference, if only in how the puck comes off much more cleanly, but I'm not about to find out soon, it seems... 😂