IGNORED

Hoffmans £1500 espresso machines

Anyone watched that yet?

Feeling a little biased towards the MaraX (as thats what i spent my money on) im wondering why he failed to discuss the brew/steam modes! The fundamental feature of what sets that machine apart from other HX machines? Bizarre 

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the same applies to the other machines and theres no reason to think it wouldn't, it does a disservice to people genuinely looking for information on a machine. As an influencer, of fairly epic pro

Or the faster warmup, very quiet customised vibe pump, range of accessories.....plus a hell of a lot of other stuff. Makes you wonder how much was missed across the entire range of machines revie

I also didn't like the video. To me, it was very clear that he wanted to like some machines and dislike others. He has his own pet peeves (got angry about the buttons on the Silvia, cmon..) which he d

Posted Images

I watched it and although I enjoyed it, it does seem harsh on the Lelit however it was the same when he reviewed £500 machines.

It seems he has nothing bad to say about the Lelit but then doesn't rate them as highly which is odd. Then again like most things it's all down to opinion, what one person loves another won't.

I would have liked the long term ownership to be talked about a bit more as that is where the Sage falls down and yet it was one of his favourites.

@burnzy I take it you're still happy with your choice?!

• Like 1

Or the faster warmup, very quiet customised vibe pump, range of accessories.....plus a hell of a lot of other stuff.

Makes you wonder how much was missed across the entire range of machines reviewed. It takes a long time and a lot of work to properly review a machine.

• Like 7

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

I did watch some of it yesterday. Extremely shallow content, for me at least. 

• Like 4

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Burnzy said:

Anyone watched that yet?

Feeling a little biased towards the MaraX (as thats what i spent my money on) im wondering why he failed to discuss the brew/steam modes! The fundamental feature of what sets that machine apart from other HX machines? Bizarre 

I also didn't like the video. To me, it was very clear that he wanted to like some machines and dislike others. He has his own pet peeves (got angry about the buttons on the Silvia, cmon..) which he discussed at great lengths, whilst failing to discuss very important features of the machines (did he even research them at all?).

Disliking machine(s) because the OPV factory settings are off is ridiculous at best. Surely if you cannot be bothered to do that, you should be buying a superauto?

I like James but this video is very shallow compared to some of his other videos IMO.

Edited by Roko
  • Like 6

Yeah. Pretty rubbish review for an audience like ourselves here. Doesn’t really expand the point about the MaraX operating in a complete different way as other HX machines, with only very subtle comments. Doesn’t talk about  steam boost, for example. Incredibly shallow and very poor in content. 

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Yeah. Pretty rubbish review for an audience like ourselves here. Doesn’t really expand the point about the MaraX operating in a complete different way as other HX machines, with only very subtle comments. Doesn’t talk about  steam boost, for example. Incredibly shallow and very poor in content. 

If the same applies to the other machines and theres no reason to think it wouldn't, it does a disservice to people genuinely looking for information on a machine. As an influencer, of fairly epic proportions, he has a responsibility to be far more thorough. In my own very small way, I take reviewing very seriously and I could not publish anything that superficial without it weighing on my mind.

It may be unfair, but I wonder if making the video and entertainment value, is more important than the content inside..

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 8

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

13 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

entertainment value

Where? 😂😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1

Thing is, as you say @DavecUK - he is an influencer. Joe public go to his channel and make a decision based on not a lot. They buy the machine they thought would be the best - say, Rocket Appartamento - and then wonder why the espresso is so bitter (oh, they were not expecting such s lengthy cooling flush!) or that the chassis will rust if you are not careful. There’s more to a coffee machine than the externals and the factory settings. He goes about the point of the review not having to open the machine and adjust whatever. Yet, I don’t think he mentions having to lubricate the group of an E61 machine every so often and specially after backflushing. If you can’t take the top of you machine off to adjust something, imagine lubricating the E61 lever every 6 weeks!

• Like 1

I suspect, if he did not have a World Barista title behind him, you would just assume he was another paid influencer. Yes, his stuff is entertaining to a point and you might pick the odd fact up, but ultimately, he has a monetised Youtube channel with the sole purpose of making money for his empire. If this was not the case, he would de-monetise. I suspect he is more interested in his bank balance than he is promoting the good of coffee, but hey ho, this is the way of the modern world

• Like 1

How do you tell a donkey from a race horse?

@MediumRoastSteam Well no, but then it's entertainment. Polished, slick, watchable, with production values....

This is completely boring, no production values, no script.....but for someone who owns an Elizabeth..it's useful. It has 2900 views, because it is designed only to inform.

Hoffmans video already has 125,000 views and will doubtless go to 1M+ views

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Thing is, as you say @DavecUK - he is an influencer. Joe public go to his channel and make a decision based on not a lot. They buy the machine they thought would be the best - say, Rocket Appartamento - and then wonder why the espresso is so bitter (oh, they were not expecting such s lengthy cooling flush!) or that the chassis will rust if you are not careful. There’s more to a coffee machine than the externals and the factory settings. He goes about the point of the review not having to open the machine and adjust whatever. Yet, I don’t think he mentions having to lubricate the group of an E61 machine every so often and specially after backflushing. If you can’t take the top of you machine off to adjust something, imagine lubricating the E61 lever every 6 weeks!

Question is, has he ever had to do that?

On the other hand, as a partial excuse, thoroughly reviewing all of those machines in one video would have been impossible. Which begs the question, should it have been done in the first place?

Edited by Roko

@DavecUK - we have to agree to disagree. 😉 I don’t find James Hoffman’s videos entertaining. At all! Combined with the lack of content, I find myself falling sleep, being distracted with something else or skipping it forwards. 

1 minute ago, Roko said:

On the other hand, as a partial excuse, thoroughly reviewing all of those machines in one video would have been impossible. 

Then the answer would be...don't do it. Take the time...do a thorough review for each machine. Publish those and then do this as a round up video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@DavecUK - we have to agree to disagree. 😉 I don’t find James Hoffman’s videos entertaining. At all! Combined with the lack of content, I find myself falling sleep, being distracted with something else or skipping it forwards. 

He is a very good presenter indeed, a lot of talent in that area...

Its a shame he didn't seem to do as much work on this as he did the grinders, you'd imagine people are much more likely to pay out for a £1500 machine than a £1500 grinder.... 

With regards to the pressure question whats happening here? Is his idea of having the pump at 9bar and the group head lower correct & is the scace the right way to measure this? Would a e61 pressure gauge give a more accurate reading when a puck is in place?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Then the answer would be...don't do it. Take the time...do a thorough review for each machine. Publish those and then do this as a round up video.

Yep that's what I added in my edit, exactly my thoughts. 

To be honest I think he might be getting way too busy, most people would be maxed out at running a business, whilst he has that, a Patreon, a YT channel. He'll get to a point where he can't do everything to the highest standard, which is a shame. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

He is a very good presenter indeed, a lot of talent in that area...

MRS is in a minority I feel. There are plenty of people engaged by his videos who have very little or even no interest in coffee and end up at his channel and commenting about how easy watching his content is. I don't think anyone can argue his production and presentation is very slick and he has a certain charm. I get the feeling this video was more about satisyfing (or stopping) the numerous requests from viewers and his Patreon members than doing a full review which could have easily been a 3 parter.

• Like 2