IGNORED

Eureka Mignon Silenzio- Dialling In

Hi,

Just received my grinder, 40 shots later and I’m losing the will to live 😞

shots are sour (I think)… tried at grind setting no.3 and it choked, so tried no.4 (courser), got 36g in 24secs (from time of pressing button)… also tried 20g in, 40g out… no real difference in taste, nor time.

Also, should I start the timer when the coffee hits the cup or when I press the button?

why does the grind knob rotate several times, could it be that’s it’s rotated ‘out of range’?

Appreciate any help I’m at a loss what to try now!

Darren

Spent another hour this morning taking 20g to a 3.5 ratio… my tastebuds are now confused over bitter vs sour… but it’s still hardly drinkable. Got around the 40s mark. I’ve gone to extremes from 15s - 40s range and not hit the sweet spot.

can you pay someone to dial it in? 🙄

Are the beans fresh ? What machine are you using ? What size basket are you using ? Have you wound the adjustment knob out of "" normal"" grinding range ? Was there a large amount of freeplay in the adjustment initially ?

We need more specific information in order to help you.         Was the machine up to temperature ?

You need to set certain parameters and only change one thing at a time.

I think you need to read the manual and recalibrate your grinder to find the zero point= burrs just touching. Until the grinder is reset to known condition / datum adjustments are futile.

What size basket are you using ?, they are 'rated' to a set amount of coffee.  The usual starting point is 1 : 2 ie brew ratio eg 16 gm coffee 32 gm liquid coffee in 25 - 30 secs.

Also try the higher temp setting. Leave the P/F in the machine to warm up.

Take notes and record the settings you use and only change one  variable at a time.

Thanks… I’ll try a recallib. But I already took it to the point where it wouldn’t grind, then worked back.

I’m using single wall double shot baskets, with a bottomless PF.

Does anywhere do a call out service where they will dial in for you…? I’d like to learn… and not spend another several hours.

I am not aware of anyone that operates this service.

This is a skill you need to learn as it is not an adjust and forget item. You will need to dial in when you change beans, when the weather changes - moisture / humidity and temperature also as beans age. It does take time to acquire this skill  and sometimes can be frustrating.

Go to touching point and then go back 1-2 full marks. I’d err on the side of grinding too fine and I’d work to choke the machine. 

once you find a suitable dose range, then start exploring more variables in grind settings. 

temperature could be another factor here. 

as for me, my intelligentsia beans call for a 1:2.5 ratio, 18g in, 45g out in ~30 seconds. 

@heytchap so expose the burrs, adjust until they touch, then back it off 1-2 full numbers (not half notches)?

what do you mean that you’d work to choke the machine? Grind close as possible to the point it won’t grind, without actually getting there.

I’ll up the temp on the Bambino.

I’m now waiting on some new beans, so will try again then, and may start a new thread with a vid to get feedback.

Appreciate all the help!

Darren

19 minutes ago, C0ffeeN0vice said:

@heytchap so expose the burrs, adjust until they touch, then back it off 1-2 full numbers (not half notches)?

what do you mean that you’d work to choke the machine? Grind close as possible to the point it won’t grind, without actually getting there.

I’ll up the temp on the Bambino.

I’m now waiting on some new beans, so will try again then, and may start a new thread with a vid to get feedback.

Appreciate all the help!

Darren

I would try and go back full numbers, yes. 

choke the espresso machine, meaning start really fine and work your way back coarser; in doing so, you will run shots where no liquid comes out for ages, if at all - that is a “choked” machine. 

Then, once you start stepping back from choked, you’ll begin to get liquid flowing at some rate. Eventually, you’ll find a grind setting that gets you right around 36g in 30s. 

When you get to an acceptable flow rate, then you can begin experimenting with temperatures, shorter/longer flows, different doses to get the shot perfect. 

On 31/05/2021 at 10:04, C0ffeeN0vice said:

Beans are fresh

Sage Bambino

I’ve changed the grind knob so much I can’t even remember! 😞

I’ve chosen the middle temp setting on the Bambino, warmed the portafilter.

The temp settings are for the steam wand - changing this won't do anything to change the temperature of the water coming through the grouphead which is fixed on the Bambino

Yeah it was good… could do with a tweak… after the first ‘good’ shot was pulled, subsequent ones have been a little slow, even though I changed nothing! Tried not tamping so hard, making sure the portafilter and group head are warmed, still too slow so I’ve made a tiny adjustment on the grind to go a tiny bit courser- we’ll see in the morning 😵💫

39 minutes ago, C0ffeeN0vice said:

after the first ‘good’ shot was pulled, subsequent ones have been a little slow

Do you purge the grinder before each new session and after each grind change? If not that could possibly be the reason for this.