IGNORED

What sort of bees are these?

7 hours ago, MWJB said:

It's not just bees it's insects in general.

Bees, wasps and ants are all in the same family, I tend to live & let live...unless they become a nuisance.

Yes I agree. We try to have bee friendly plants, never use weed killer or insecticides and try not to be too tidy in the garden. Lots of nettle patches, rotting logs etc. We had a wasps nest in an old playhouse, they never hurt anyone although annoying if you had a sweet drink in the garden and they help with the pests in the vegetable garden. I remember reading that wasps are hugely important and unfortunately their benefits to the balance of nature are rarely appreciated. I’m not trying to sound pious but the more humans can do to help the better.

• Like 1

We have two acres here in Wales, haven't used weedkiller or insecticide for years in order to preserve the wildlife. I also leave large patches of nettles alone and leave wood lying around to rot.

We had carpenter bees nesting in our old wooden patio table. As they hover, I always assumed that they were hoverflies until they started hovering a few inches from my face to check me out when I was when sitting at the table. Apparently this is normal behaviour by male bees when intruders are near their nesting site. Strange that I mistook a bee for a fly that mimics bees. Didn't bother me but freaked my wife out, had to get a new table 😄.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Norvin said:

We have two acres here in Wales, haven't used weedkiller or insecticide for years in order to preserve the wildlife. I also leave large patches of nettles alone and leave wood lying around to rot.

One of my hobbies is macro photography of insects in general and that aspect sticks out like a sore thumb. I also walk, not so much these days as 6 to 10mile is a bit much now. On farmland in general where it's well used for crops there is an absence of all sorts of things including birds as well as insect life. It seems there is some movement to letting hedging and some land to grow wild. Seeds will have to be introduced in some cases as lots of plants have been obliterated. It might help.

People who survey insect life used to collect and kill etc. The person who identified the insect I posted a photo of does it the modern way with a camera plus macro lens. He has noticed the same thing as well. The photo I posted is in an album. He assumed  I had photo'd them in and around B'ham. ;) No chance but some areas are better than others.

• Like 2

We now have a Tree Bumblebee nest in the attic, just above the bathroom ceiling. You can hear a low buzzing in the bathroom day and night.

1 hour ago, Norvin said:

We now have a Tree Bumblebee nest in the attic, just above the bathroom ceiling. You can hear a low buzzing in the bathroom day and night.

We have these at the moment, they appear every year, in May this year they are about 3 weeks late due to the cold weather. They are about for around 3 or 4 week buzzing around like little missiles at dusk. Harmless, but can be quite frightening. They tend to band on the windows a lot at night trying to get at the light.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/how-to-identify-cockchafer-may-bug.html

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

Posted (edited)

As a (certified beekeeper - they are honey bees, chances are there was a swarm nearby and they were trying to find somewhere to settle.  Most bees are pretty harmless but i wouldn't want honeybees nesting anywhere in your house, the heat they let of is one thing but more importantly the honey can cause real damp issues and is a serious pain to clean up when its in your chimney!

The whole Einstein thing is generally agreed to be false, we'd end up with alot less choice of crops but theres plenty of things bees can't and won't pollinate such as tomatoes.

Wasps however are a pain, they start the year ok eating bugs and pests but they then swap over to fermented fruit later in the year and get all boozed up and fighty.  A little tip for wasp or hornet nests, petrol fumes will kill them so if you have a nest in the ground just pour a little petrol down the hole, or put it on a rag and stuff it in whatever enclosure they've taken over (had to do that on a cctv camera last night!)

Edited by siliconslave
4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

We have these at the moment, they appear every year, in May this year they are about 3 weeks late due to the cold weather. They are about for around 3 or 4 week buzzing around like little missiles at dusk. Harmless, but can be quite frightening. They tend to band on the windows a lot at night trying to get at the light.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/how-to-identify-cockchafer-may-bug.html

The Tree Bumblebee is a small, white tailed bee, we seem to be overrun with all kinds of bumblebees at the moment, but very few honey bees. I remember the cockchafer, a type of beetle, as being more like a flying ping pong ball.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Norvin said:

The Tree Bumblebee is a small, white tailed bee, we seem to be overrun with all kinds of bumblebees at the moment, but very few honey bees. I remember the cockchafer, a type of beetle, as being more like a flying ping pong ball.

it certainly is...I like the Maybugs because they remind me summer is here....and anything that happens with regularity/but briefly in nature is always fascinating. I think we're very lucky to have 4 distinct seasons.

• Like 1

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!