IGNORED

What sort of bees are these?

Anyone know for sure. There have been loads in the garden trying to get into the house. They look and behave just like wasps but on inspection are not

20210530_112317.jpg

How do you tell a donkey from a race horse?

There are a number of flies that look much like bees and wasps. I believe this is one according to an expert

P7200242

A hobby of mine but not identification. That is extremely tricky.

36 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Anyone know for sure. There have been loads in the garden trying to get into the house. They look and behave just like wasps but on inspection are not

20210530_112317.jpg

How come they don't look very alive?!!

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Irisco said:

No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

56 minutes ago, Irisco said:

Simple, they looked and acted like wasps so I killed them......then looking at them I could see they are not wasps

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Norwegian Blue of course

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Norwegian Blue of course

2 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Simple, they looked and acted like wasps so I killed them......then looking at them I could see they are not wasps

Ignorance is bliss but not for the bees

@Irisco If they want to come to my house en route to the fancy dress ball..........

@dfk41 Raid-Multi-Insect-Killer-Hero-1-2X.thumb.jpg.d4d901ca3344f6d42c313ff7c4867db8.jpgI'll have to decline your generous offer, unfortunately there was a "raid"  last night, no survivors!

Let it be said, I like bees and do not like wasps. It was only after I killed two and took a closer look that I realised. But, I had not seen the type before and therefore asked for help in identifying them. For a short 10 minutes, there appeared to be a lot of them trying to gain entry through the open windows and chain fly protector, but after that period I have hardly seen any. Obviously, if they are a Mining or Masonry bee, you need to know so that you can take appropriate actions!

4 hours ago, Irisco said:

Yes, I thought Honey or Mason bees. All bees , which ever species need protecting. Once bees become extinct mankind will shortly follow.

I'll start out by saying, I like bees....Is the above really true?

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

@DavecUK Bees are cool.....until they come into my house and masquerade as wasps obviously

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I'll start out by saying, I like bees....Is the above really true?

There's much debate on whether Einstein actually said it but 

Where would we be without bees? As far as important species go, they are top of the list. They are critical pollinators: they pollinate 70 of the around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. Honey bees are responsible for $30 billion a year in crops.

That’s only the start. We may lose all the plants that bees pollinate, all of the animals that eat those plants and so on up the food chain. Which means a world without bees could struggle to sustain the global human population of 7 billion. Our supermarkets would have half the amount of fruit and vegetables.

It gets worse. We are losing bees at an alarming rate. Possible reasons include the loss of flower meadows, the crab-like varroa mite that feasts on their blood, climate change, and use of pesticides not to mention dfk41!🤣

Ah, but I know the good guys but there are also bees that do not pollinate. I would not harm a bee I recognise, and further to that, once I realised they were bees I did not kill another but chased them out. My wife is paranoid about insects. She is wheelchair bound and and cannot escape whatever enters the house, so.....out come the juggling balls!

@Irisco I did read up on all this a while ago and there seem to be varying opinions as to whether we would go extinct....It wouldn't be good for sure...but the information is quite inconsistent, depending on what you read?

@dfk41, I'm with you their buddy. I hate bloody wasps but try to avoid harming bees. Its difficult to know sometimes. We were faced with a similar situation many years ago when the wife opened the bathroom door to find a rather large amount in the small room. very frightening experience.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Irisco said:

It gets worse. We are losing bees at an alarming rate. Possible reasons include the loss of flower meadows, the crab-like varroa mite that feasts on their blood, climate change, and use of pesticides

It's not just bees it's insects in general.

Bees, wasps and ants are all in the same family, I tend to live & let live...unless they become a nuisance.

Edited by MWJB
  • Thanks 1