Coffee Forums banner

Searching for cleaner sweeter coffee

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MWJB 
#1 ·
So I'm mainly an aeropress user, I'm trying to get my cup sweeter and cleaner, it always seems to have a woody/bitter taste which i never get when I get coffee from a shop (proper shop obviously not Starbucks etc)

My standard recipe is:

Grind setting at 50 on my smart grinder pro

12g coffee to 200g water

5 minute brew with 30 second press

Any tips for me to help me improve my cups?

#3 ·
Grind setting at 50 on my smart grinder pro
What sort of grind size is this? E.g. what is the scale on the grinder?

5min seems an odd steep time, it's long for a short steep & short for a long steep :)

You can often get woody/charred/carbony notes at middling extractions on Aeropress.

I's also stop pressing when you see the dry coffee bed.

#4 ·
What sort of grind size is this? E.g. what is the scale on the grinder?

5min seems an odd steep time, it's long for a short steep & short for a long steep :)

You can often get woody/charred/carbony notes at middling extractions on Aeropress.

I's also stop pressing when you see the dry coffee bed.
The SGP goes from 1 (or zero?) to 60, so that's a very coarse grind. James Hoffman has just done a short series of Aeropress videos on his Youtube channel that are probably worth a look.

#9 ·
Stopped as it hissed

As soon as the water goes in I stir and flip onto the cup to allow it to settle
OK, try stopping when you see the dry bed, before any hiss. I also remove the plunger for a few moment before re-inserting & plunging, letting the first output drain under gravity.

If this makes no improvement then, sure, try going a little coarser as long as it doesn't adversely affect taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.