Coffee Forums banner

Basket size and distributor/push tamper

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  El carajillo 
#1 ·
I recently bought a coffee distributor/tamper to see if I get more consistent shots.

If I fill my IMS 16-20g basket with 18g, the distributor can't reach the coffee. I checked various videos and in all of them baskets are filled very close to the top. I tried the same thing with mine and it took 25g of coffee which is way too much.

How can I find a basket for which 18g of coffee would fill it close to the top? The capacity listed is not helpful and calculating the volume sounds suboptimal.

For reference, I have a Expobar Leva Dual Boiler machine.

#3 ·
The distributor/tamper is a cheap one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082MKVYFV

It reaches the coffee only when it's extended to maximum and it should be slightly longer to level/tamp. I will take pictures tomorrow and attach.

I also thought the problem is with tamper and checked how far OCD push tamper can be extended. With a maximum of 15mm it doesn't look better or long enough.

#5 ·
First thing is exactly the same thing is available at several prices.

2nd - Distrubutors don't. Grinds still need to be level before use even the 2 slope type which are slightly better in that respect but both need to be used lightly just to help get the tamper square.

3rd - Tamping pressure is set purely by the weight of grinds in the filter basket.

What fill height to use- search coin test on here. It's a starter but a bit less may prove better. Max is trickier. One way is to increase and see what it does to grinder settings / or ratio changes at the same setting etc. Grinds expand when they get wet, a bit of restriction against the shower screen may make little difference. Taste is what counts.

Until recently I would agree with @El carajillo but recently I have had no problem at all brewing with grinds 11mm down from the rim of the basket. That may relate to the grinder and machine I am using. Maybe even lower. Came as a bit of a surprise but meant I could use 2 different beans in the same basket. 13.5g of what is a light bean and 17g or a typical that could go to 18. My 58.5mm tamper wouldn't go that low but had a 58 still. 🤣 Then on a whim I bought another tamper that will only go 10mm down so back with 2 baskets. Still near Mr L's limits though.

#9 ·
but recently I have had no problem at all brewing with grinds 11mm down from the rim of the basket.
I was experimenting with this recently too. With SDB and Niche I was able to dose 15g in the stock double basket using a bottomless portafilter without any problems. The single basket is a different story. I'm finding I can't dose anything less than 12g or I just can't tamp it. I'm actually preferring the coffee I get out of it though as I usually split the shots from a double.

#6 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
Various thoughts on the forum as to IMS or VST baskets. I have used both but much prefer the VST, some say they are difficult to use ??

Like any tool / component you get used to them. I would suggest an 18 gram non ridged VST.
I bought IMS a few years ago to replace the stock basket after reading VST is more difficult to use.

I just ordered a 18g non ridged VST 😀

#13 ·
The basket has arrived and I attached 2 pictures:

- first one has 18g of coffee which is exactly the basket capacity

- in second it's leveled and distributor next to it.

Overall, compared to previous basket, it's less distance from the coffee to the rim but a 2 in 1 distributor/push tamper can't do the job. To be able to distribute the coffee, distributor must be extended. Not to maximum, but enough to limit how much the tamper can be extended and be too short.

I am now getting more consistent results with the distributor + traditional tamper. As I changed multiple variables at once - basket and using distributor it's hard to say which one made the difference.

Food Berbere Five-spice powder Ingredient Seasoning

Food Ingredient Cuisine Drink Coffee

Attachments

#16 ·
a newbie 2p............... :classic_smile:

1st pic......lotsa clumps in the grind. Do you break up with a toothpick.?

2nd pic.....poor level at 7:30 0/clock may lead to channeling.. Add 0.5gm coffee.?
Both are valid points. I use a toothpick but not all the time. Shame on me 😃

The pictures are from initial tests when I was adjusting the distributor and result wasn't perfect. It's looking better now after I found the right position.

I'll continue to do small adjustments next week and see what works best.

#15 ·
What ever basket you buy a coin test is more reliable than assuming it holds it's stated capacity. A forum search should find details on what that involves.

Reducing the level usually finishes up with rather muddy used pucks at some point. Maybe a film of water before that which doesn't really matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.