IGNORED

Mignon Single Dose Grinder

18 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Why is this accepted? I see a lot of threads about alignment, it's outrageous grinders don't come perfectly aligned. I'd send it back, why is the user expected to make their product work properly after paying for it?! 

Yeah, it's like buying a new car and the steering wheel leans to one side all the time. Soz.

On the subject, I love the fact that the affordable SD grinder niche (no pun..) is getting bigger. Competition is only making it better for the end consumer ✌️

29 minutes ago, Zeak said:

Yeah, it's like buying a new car and the steering wheel leans to one side all the time. Soz.

Most drivers would spot that as its obvious. It's more comparable to the geometry / tracking being out and you only realise when you find the inside of the tyres have worn faster than the rest of the tyre.

Even then (speaking as a total noob and playing devils advocate) I am wondering how much difference alignment really makes. Can your average or even experienced user really spot the difference in grind consistency, taste in the cup etc between per and post burr alignment? Or do folk just like to tinker and / or do it because it gets mentioned on a certain forum all time :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeak said:

On the subject, I love the fact that the affordable SD grinder niche (no pun..) is getting bigger. Competition is only making it better for the end consumer ✌️

Exactly, it seems ridiculous. I'm paying hundreds of pounds, have to take the thing apart, draw on it with felt tip or put shims in, in an effort to get the thing to work as it should. I assume this isn't all grinders, (it does seem to get mentioned with Eurekas more than most but they're popular so makes sense), just some that make funny noises, don't grind uniformly etc. I wonder what percentage it is. If I thought there was a problem I would send it back and ask for what I paid for, I'm not dissembling anything. 

Am I missing something here? 

Agree that this is welcome competition. The SD market is painfully narrow, the more players there are the better. 

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express, Mazzer Royal w/ DW Kit.

21 hours ago, danielpugh said:

I had to do it for my mazzer sj, and va Mythos.  I think it's just the default unless the grinder specifically states not needed. 

So it's industry standard? Even on grinders that cost thousands? Incredible this is accepted. Be interested to hear from sellers of grinders, particularly this Eureka as it's the new 'hotness'.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

So it's industry standard? Even on grinders that cost thousands? Incredible this is accepted. Be interested to hear from sellers of grinders, particularly this Eureka as it's the new 'hotness'.

I think that's pretty close to true.  Alignment and manufactured tolerance are (in my very limited experience) typically a selling point for more expensive grinders like Webber, kafatec, levercraft, titus and lagom.  Specifically these are typically made in smaller quantities and so suffer limited availability. Whereas commercial grinders made in larger volumes typically can be aligned, but come with a basic level of alignment.  Good example being e.g. the ek43, which is well known to have had poor alignment in the past - so much so that Titus offer an alignment service, and related hardware so you can do this yourself.  The bentwood verticale 63 is aimed at commercial sector.  It seems to be well aligned by default, but is a premium priced.  I imagine if there was a rush of demand to e.g. Eureka they would slap £xxx and make it a marketing thing and then maybe over time it would become the norm.  But even then I suspect you'd find many doing it themselves, and/or buying cheaper models to reduce cost - i.e. the manufacturers are already very much aware of this and would say their grinders are aligned enough...

Absolutely debatable how far you go with alignment, and in many commercial establishments I think fairly easy to do it yourself and save cost ,or just not worry about it e.g. chains/service stations etc.  It's more relevant in a home/pro setting.  

Similar argument could be (and has been) made about seasoning burrs i.e. why don't they season them for you? Is it needed? Etc

The same occurred to me and is discussed in the video with a rep from ceado explaining why...

https://youtu.be/NwXXO_FZj9I

Ps I'm not arguing for or against - just describing how I think it has evolved...

Edited by danielpugh
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CocoLoco said:

You are paying for a production line grinder v boutique hand made.

Alignment became an issue for those measuring it to the nth degree , if you want a grinder that is aligned to  hand made tolerances then you have to pay for it. There are of course exceptions  where people pay £1000s for an Ek and they dont think the alignment is right. 

There are times when people think no one enjoyed any coffee made before grinders were aligned to the smallest degree. This is of course not true . 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

You are paying for a production line grinder v boutique hand made.

Alignment became an issue for those measuring it to the nth degree , if you want a grinder that is aligned to  hand made tolerances then you have to pay for it. There are of course exceptions  where people pay £1000s for an Ek and they dont think the alignment is right. 

There are times when people think no one enjoyed any coffee made before grinders were aligned to the smallest degree. This is of course not true . 

So something like the Specialita is aligned 'good enough' out of the box. Not amazingly, but to a certain standard, fine to use. And then if you want it aligned properly you do it yourself. Sounds like the way these things are made means the process is not good enough to get it right, just mostly right, whereas boutique/hand made gets it exactly right. Then the question becomes 'can one tell the difference?'.

Good to know, thanks for explaining it (also thanks to @danielpugh). Doesn't inspire confidence in a new product but food for thought.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

So something like the Specialita is aligned 'good enough' out of the box. Not amazingly, but to a certain standard, fine to use. And then if you want it aligned properly you do it yourself. Sounds like the way these things are made means the process is not good enough to get it right, just mostly right, whereas boutique/hand made gets it exactly right. Then the question becomes 'can one tell the difference?'.

Good to know, thanks for explaining it (also thanks to @danielpugh). Doesn't inspire confidence in a new product but food for thought.

And there is the rub, mass manufactures define good enough alignment as one thing, home users and boutique makers demand something else. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some interesting claims being made with this grinder specifically against the Nice and Solo:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/Eureka-Mignon-Single-Dose-Niche-Zero-DF-64.pdf

I really would like to understand how the retention figures were calculated. With the Solo I lose no more than 0.2g - typically 0.1g or none whatsoever, the only exception being when the grinder was brand new or just cleaned.

The "Quality in Espresso" claims to be twice as good as the Solo and 4 times as good as the Niche. 

Edited by dutchy101

32 minutes ago, dutchy101 said:

Some interesting claims being made with this grinder:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/Eureka-Mignon-Single-Dose-Niche-Zero-DF-64.pdf

I really would like to understand how the retention figures were calculated. With the Solo I lose no more than 0.2g - typically 0.1g or none whatsoever, the only exception being when the grinder was brand new or just cleaned.

This document is hilarious.

As if anyone would trust a document made by one manufacturer comparing itself to two others...

Lol that is comedy (coming from an XL owner). At first I thought it was a BB published document.

Assuming its the same volume as the XL it is definitely not silent. And my biggest gripe is the grind dial. They should have made that XL as well so easier to track adjustments / record settings for a bean.

Well it's an XL, so the reviews already exist in terms of quality in the cup. In fact, it probably performs worse than an XL because at least the XL grinds with a head of beans, which is well documented to produce a more uniform grind distribution. 

A pretty low blow from Eureka (This is not a dig at their 'blow up system' but I'm sure it probably does produce a low blow) and surprised Bella barista are spreading this propaganda. 

Edited by newdent

I have asked Bella Barista if they had any news on this grinder, but so far I had no reply. 

The document linked above comparing the grinder is, quite literally, a joke. Who in their sane mind would say anything negative about their product in comparison to the competition? 

It reminds me of a video Whole Latte Love did comparing the Pro-700 vs the Lelit Bianca. They don't stock Lelit, but they do Profitec. Guess which machine came out better? 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, newdent said:

Well it's an XL, so the reviews already exist in terms of quality in the cup. In fact, it probably performs worse than an XL because at least the XL grinds with a head of beans, which is well documented to produce a more uniform grind distribution. 

A pretty low blow from Eureka (This is not a dig at their 'blow up system' but I'm sure it probably does produce a low blow) and surprised Bella barista are spreading this propaganda. 

Do you have a source that it is the same as the XL or is this just speculation?