IGNORED

Mignon Single Dose Grinder

4 minutes ago, newdent said:

Surprise, surprise, Eureka uses editing to make their product sound quieter than it really is...

I always wonder whether people actually listen to that type of music in real life or just use when making videos.… 

if it was me, there would be some Black Sabbath or Ozzy on the background… Maybe Iron Maiden. Then yeah, the grinder would be really quiet! 😂😂😂😂😂

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

It's very tricky trying to capture what something sounds like. decibel meters say nothing about the quality of the sound, cameras have forward facing mics AGC etc.. Even where the grinder is situated. On my counter between the machine and the wall acts like a funnel for the sound.

e.g. A niche has the same decibels as some other grinders...but sounds very much different on the annoyance scale!

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Agree, the niche is more of a low pitch grumble and a slow rpm which is not offensive. 

My mignon crono was fairly loud and the rpm was very high, so a more annoying sound. No idea if that's different with the XL / SD.

Still, if you're going to add the sound of grinding into the edit, at least play it at all the times you will hear it!

We are hoping to start pre orders for these very shortly.

We will have stock of both white and black to kick off with chrome to follow. 

As yet we do not have firm date but we are hoping it will be the end of October but to be frank things are a bit crazy with shipping at the moment and subject to change.

Price will be £495 delivered. 

David

• Like 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Alex Duetto and Alex Leva now in stock!

21 minutes ago, newdent said:

Agree, the niche is more of a low pitch grumble and a slow rpm which is not offensive. 

My mignon crono was fairly loud and the rpm was very high, so a more annoying sound. No idea if that's different with the XL / SD.

Still, if you're going to add the sound of grinding into the edit, at least play it at all the times you will hear it!

If it’s anything like the Mignon Specialita it will be very quiet. Although I didn’t have them side by side the Specialita is a fair bit quieter than the Niche. 

I don’t believe the Crono has the same sound dampening or “silent technology” as the Specialita, SD or XL. 

4 minutes ago, HVL87 said:

If it’s anything like the Mignon Specialita it will be very quiet. Although I didn’t have them side by side the Specialita is a fair bit quieter than the Niche. 

I don’t believe the Crono has the same sound dampening or “silent technology” as the Specialita, SD or XL. 

That's fair enough, I knew there were mignon models that are quieter than others and also that the crono is a bottom end mignon. 

I'll admit that the niche is by no means quiet but it is a more pleasant grinding sound than the faster rpm grinders that I've used. The niche is 330 rpm, the XL 1650. Don't get me wrong, I'd never choose a grinder over this though. All about quality in the cup vs money. 

Will be interesting to see how the SD sells compared to the DF64. It seems like the DF64 and niche both suffer from supply issues, so Eureka have that on their side!

Not sure you can go by rpm with the Specialita at 1350rpm being significantly quieter than the Niche and the tone is not annoying at all, you barely even notice it. I agree the Niche is not a bother and the tone is pleasant.

Personally I’m not considering the Mignon Oro/SD as the Niche workflow is great and I like to switch between espresso and filter.

At £495 it is well priced so it will be interesting to hear feedback from early adopters. 

1 hour ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

We are hoping to start pre orders for these very shortly.

We will have stock of both white and black to kick off with chrome to follow. 

As yet we do not have firm date but we are hoping it will be the end of October but to be frank things are a bit crazy with shipping at the moment and subject to change.

Price will be £495 delivered. 

David

How is the shipping outside of UK? To Sweden. 

I’m in for a black one if it’s 220V with European plug? 😂

I always find amazing when retailers review products they sell. I get if the review is like “this might be for you if this and that, and not for you if this and that” but bold claims always make me very weary. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Ok, my thoughts :-

Dosing cup held to stop the over flow ? (messy).

No mention of the bellows.

& the same adjustment as on other Mignons - I bought a second grinder due to this adjustment being so unworkable.

Not for me I'm afraid.

I'll stick to my 3rd party 3D printed bellows option, even though I have to lift the cup to avoid a mess.

If they need the cup that close I’d say they’ve got rid of the clump creator because it retains and regrinds half the beans.

I’ve removed the clump fork from mine and the grind is better with less retention at the expense of coffee flying everywhere. 

41 minutes ago, newdent said:

Just when you thought they couldn't copy any more features from the niche, they add a circular piece to increase the height of the dosing cup! 😅

NFC disc next?

Very different reasons though…. The Niche has that circular wood trim as means to hide the retention screw for the base and as a “coaster” for the cup (I found it pretty hard to balance the cup on top of the head of the screw, mind you! 🤣). Eureka could have… errr…. Increased the cup height? 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRatcliffe said:

If they need the cup that close I’d say they’ve got rid of the clump creator because it retains and regrinds half the beans.

I’ve removed the clump fork from mine and the grind is better with less retention at the expense of coffee flying everywhere. 

I saw it in action at the coffee festival in London.Is quiet, I would say like specialita (I had one)grinded coffee had nice flow and there was  no spraying  at all.We were trying  18g...same results in the cup,without using blow,so pretty good.Only one thing I noticed,person from eureka was struggling for few moments to put the blow on the top of the Hooper.  But of course this was just very limited demonstration which may give you some clues ..clues which convinced me even more to get it🎃

Spoiler

Edited by shodjoe1
  • Like 1

I am just waiting and watching from where I will get mine. I have emailed Eureka and they said there should be a retailer in Sweden who will have it in stock.

Otherwise I’m going to order it from 30 Coffee in Poland 

12 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Very different reasons though…. The Niche has that circular wood trim as means to hide the retention screw for the base and as a “coaster” for the cup (I found it pretty hard to balance the cup on top of the head of the screw, mind you! 🤣). Eureka could have… errr…. Increased the cup height? 🤦‍♂️ 

Interesting, it didn't strike me that anything was accidental on the niche. For example, they could easily have used a countersunk bolt. I assumed the opposite in that they purposely used a cap head to hold the circular wooden piece in place. 

Making the cup taller is an option but I think keeping it shallow is better for access and cleaning. 

Edited by newdent
  • Like 2