IGNORED

Mignon Single Dose Grinder

Interesting... So the grinder starts/stops as soon as the hopper tab is open/closed.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Don't know why Eureka cannot stick to what they do well. Seems a right load of faff to go through when you can bu a Niche for less which gives you a far better, faster easier workflow.....but what do I know?

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

22 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Interesting... So the grinder starts/stops as soon as the hopper tab is open/closed.

Very unlikely unless they've shoehorned a magnetic limit switch in somehow. 

The tab has to be shut to pressurise the hopper so that the blow up system works. Looks like they've added in the procedure to start with it closed so that the beans enter a running grinder? Or just got no logical reason, also possible...

Edited by newdent

3 minutes ago, newdent said:

Very unlikely unless they've shoehorned a magnetic limit switch in somehow. 

Isn't that your understanding from watching the video? Otherwise, how is the grinder switched on? The person turns the grinder on on the side, and nothing happens. Then, the tab opens and the motor starts. Unless I'm missing a key moment my eyes fail to see 🙂 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

6 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Isn't that your understanding from watching the video? Otherwise, how is the grinder switched on? The person turns the grinder on on the side, and nothing happens. Then, the tab opens and the motor starts. Unless I'm missing a key moment my eyes fail to see 🙂 

I just assumed they fiddled with the audio so that you can't hear it running to begin with. I see where you're coming from, you can't hear it running.

Perhaps that metal tab is integrated with the grinder and rotating it activates a limit switch. I kind of just assumed it was joined to the hopper but possibly not. I guess there might be actual safety rules with grinders that require an interlock. 

1 minute ago, hubcap said:

The person switches on the machine which starts the motor then releases the beans onto the already spinning burrs.

This is what I assumed was going on. Anything else seems to fancy and the other mignon models have no safety interlock. 

• Like 1

@newdent @hubcap  - OK. But do notice that, when the person switches on the grinder, and puts the beans in, you can clearly hear the beans falling into the hopper, and the motor turns on at the exact time the user opens the flap.

Anyway, I suppose we will know for sure when it's properly reviewed without soft background music. 🙂 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

5 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

I’d like to see the Shute when the bellows are being used, i think there was some artistic license and editing to remove some mess in that video. 

Oh, most certainly. 

The niche chute is inside the cup and you still get some mess if using bellows. Also, who's going to add and remove the bellows every time, so that's another negative on the style front. They really don't look like there generate much pressure... Looks about equivalent to a lens hood. 

I had a lens hood on my mignon that broke after 3 weeks and was suspicious that this may been linked to it breaking. Surely tapping it like that every day can't be good for it? If it were a Mazzer then fair enough, they're built like tanks. Really looking forward to honest reviews.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2021 at 18:31, MediumRoastSteam said:

Anyway, I suppose we will know for sure when it's properly reviewed without soft background music

Here is another video with less editing of the sound. Turns out the grinder starts with the on/off button - not the flap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/09/2021 at 15:40, JohanR said:

Here is another video with less editing of the sound. Turns out the grinder starts with the on/off button - not the flap

Surprise, surprise, Eureka uses editing to make their product sound quieter than it really is...