Coffee Forums banner

Mignon Single Dose Grinder

36K views 228 replies 48 participants last post by  ringo-tones 
#1 Ā·
#8 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I hope it's not a problem to link to another forum: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/eureka-oro-mignon-single-dosing.137623/

There's a couple pictures there. Don't know if that's the right one. It seems smaller than the Mignon XL sitting next to it, so if I had to guess, I'd say that it comes with 50 or 55mm burrs. I suppose they might have tilted a Manuale, added some of the ELR solutions inside, and hey presto, here's a single doser. But if it's part of their "Oro" lineup, I don't know if it makes sense to have "only" 55mm burrs.

If it can have very little retention/exchange without using any bellows, I might consider swapping from the Solo (which is great, but I could definitely do without the bellows). It would be a "mini Lagom".

#9 Ā·
Good find. Ball dropped in the looks department IMO which is a surprise as the Specialita, Manuale etc are lovely. Why do these single dosers all lean forward? Niche and Solo do that too. I assume that's a low retention/functional design thing but I prefer upright designs.

#10 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I played around with a prototype last year, you can see the lid in the background on the glass Airscape, cos I was playing around with my Ceado E92 puffer. It was a very pre production unit. Like the ones shown in the Kaffe Netz link. In fact I had the Blue Minima on the bench at the time šŸ˜

Kitchen appliance Light Blue Gas Home appliance

Attachments

#24 Ā·
I played around with a prototype last year, you can see the lid in the background on the glass Airscape, cos I was playing around with my Ceado E92 puffer. It was a very pre production unit. Like the ones shown in the Kaffe Netz link. In fact I had the Blue Minima on the bench at the time šŸ˜

View attachment 57158
ain this picture, it looks like the prototype is a Mignon Manuale with a swapped base to tilt the Mignon Manuale forward.

Maybe Eureka might also add in a disc under the hopper to feed the beans at a consistent rate for more uniform grinding.

Juat my thought.

#14 Ā·
I put the two images next to each other. The body has not seemingly changed much from the prototype, but the throat seems different, and the dial perhaps is slightly larger.

If it delivers "zero retention" with no bellows (as per Ā£Ā£Ā£ grinders) it would be interesting as most grinders such as the Solo, don't quite have such a simple workflow.

Kitchen appliance Liquid Gas Drip coffee maker Technology

Attachments

#18 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I'm thinking this may come in cheaper than the other offerings in single dosing.

It looks like a Specialita tilted forward with no timer controls adding to the cost šŸ¤”
That's a good point, no timer controls. But I doubt that they'll sell it for Ā£250 and call it a 'tilted Manuale'. Now, if they did sell it for Ā£250 (and they had stock) I reckon it would sell pretty well. If it starts costing on par with the Niche or above, it better have 65mm burrs somehow crammed in there, and there better be no bellows or weird shenanigans to perform.

#19 Ā·
Do conical burrs perform better for low retention?

I don't think it would be hard to achieve low retention if they actually put some thought into it, when you open these grinders up there's so much dead space in the chambers and lots of areas where grinds can collect. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the problems are but I guess that it's not something people have worried about in the past?

They've certainly not spent a lot of money redesigning the outside but if if performs well and is cheap then people will live with it I'm sure!

#21 Ā·
Do conical burrs perform better for low retention?

I don't think it would be hard to achieve low retention if they actually put some thought into it, when you open these grinders up there's so much dead space in the chambers and lots of areas where grinds can collect. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the problems are but I guess that it's not something people have worried about in the past?

They've certainly not spent a lot of money redesigning the outside but if if performs well and is cheap then people will live with it I'm sure!
To answer the first question, yes.

Regarding low retention you'd think so, but even some very expensive grinders still require the use of bellows, so it can't be *that* easy, or at least, it cannot be a free lunch, ie it will come with compromises elsewhere.

#25 Ā·
I'm interested to know how they plan on getting the last of the grinds out. Their anti static grid acts as a bung (by design according to @Coff Hey) and mine won't budge without getting some air pushed through, with a camera lens hood in my case.

I really hope they've gone through the effort of designing an actual system instead of just tilting a mignon. The fact that they've added a hopper implies they don't expect you to use bellows imo.

#33 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I think it's time to put a point on a nonsense that appears in the last time. "Single Dose" and "Hopper" can not go together. It's nonsense and obvious stupidity.

For "Single Dose" you do not need Hopper. It is enough to put the plate and prevent the "popcorn" effect.

So: "Single Dose with Hopper" is an unintelligent name for something that does not exist.

#34 Ā·
I really want to get excited by this, if only because it marks a time when the old-school start to think about moving with the times. I'm hoping they have done a bit more than adjust the stand so it leans forward, and bump the price. That they sent out to @DavecUKto get feedback is a good sign. I am hoping there are more changes I'm overlooking. Or maybe I'm overthinking it all .

#36 Ā·
I wonder how much internally has been changed......? From appearances, could we not just fashion a base that tilts a standard mignon to achieve similar. It does look ever so slightly different in terms of its angles/dimensions but I'd imagine someone will come along with a 3D printed base that gets you most of the way there....

still, very interested if there are changes as personally I like the look of this much more than the niche

#37 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
From the photos, I just cannot imagine it's anything more than a tilted mignon...

To stop retention without bellows, they would have had to of got rid of their anti static grid, which means clumping and static returns. How is the clumpy, static grounds going to perform aiming into that dosing cup?

The hopper looks oddly proportioned to my eye.

The thing just screams out botch to me. If a customer modded their mignon like this, I'd say kudos but I expect more effort to go into a single doser from the manufacturer! I hope I'm proven wrong though!

#38 Ā·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course but to me this is far more appealing than the Solo or Niche from an aesthetic perspective. We shall have to wait and see some independent reviews but given this grinder has been in development for well over a year I suspect it is far from a 'botch'.

Clearly it has strong DNA from other Mignon grinders but that would seem a smart move to me. Why do a whole lot more R&D and spend on tooling when you have a platform ripe for adapting. Even the lowest spec Mignons are very competitive re retention so I am sure some tweaks will bring it inline with the best single dosers already on the market. I suspect these sensible design choices will help it to be competitively priced šŸ‘

#41 Ā·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course but to me this is far more appealing than the Solo or Niche from an aesthetic perspective. We shall have to wait and see some independent reviews but given this grinder has been in development for well over a year I suspect it is far from a 'botch'.

Clearly it has strong DNA from other Mignon grinders but that would seem a smart move to me. Why do a whole lot more R&D and spend on tooling when you have a platform ripe for adapting. Even the lowest spec Mignons are very competitive re retention so I am sure some tweaks will bring it inline with the best single dosers already on the market. I suspect these sensible design choices will help it to be competitively priced šŸ‘
Well, as I said, I hope I'm proven wrong as more competition for niche's spot will likely mean more innovation and that's what I want to see.

I just hope that Eureka have understood what people are trying to achieve from single dosing and zero retention and don't think that people just want to get out that they put in (when in reality there's been 4g of exchange happening from yesterday's coffee). Let's hope they've added something similar to niche's flow control disc to reduce popcorning and improve grind distribution. Let's hope they've realised that many single dosing with the niche are swapping between brew methods, or beans and therefore need the flexibility to accurately swap back and forth between grind settings.

I'll cross my fingers but not hold my breath!