IGNORED

What next after DTP

That age old question again - what machine next....

My sage DTP has popped its steam wand and the fitting appears to be plastic.  We've been debating upgrading for a while to something that will do 2 (or more) lattes a lot quicker than the sage.  Top of the list was the ACS minima having dual boilers and passing (in black) the looks test with my wife.  Looking at lots of other machines, the La Spaz S1 mini is also acceptable looks wise.  All the Rocket type machines with pipes and shiny stainless have been vetoed.  Ditto the Lelit boxes, so we're not left with much.  I'm waiting to hear if the Astoria in the classifieds is acceptable as that would leave money for an Osmio as well.

Out of the ACS and La Spaz, what would people suggest, I understand the La Spaz is an old (but proven?) design, whereas the ACS is much more modern

So it appears a 2K budget for new, or (say) 1K for used.  Nice fast steaming.  Easy maintenance.  Tank fed.  Size not much of an issue.

Grinder will remain my Santos 4.

ACS Minima...S1 Vivaldi mini is quite old an won't perform as well.

• Like 1

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

I missed out on Adam’s Astoria so after much deliberation  with the distributor (45, maybe 60 seconds) I’ve ordered a red one 🤣🤣

4FEA85CB-83CA-4134-866C-476BF50D0560.jpeg

51D35094-7E09-41D0-9F6F-3032F69BE7FA.jpeg

A257933F-AF18-44F3-B51B-235BBB59C035.jpeg

0CAD10AF-FCF5-4695-BC7B-45E5AD510841.jpeg

• Like 2

And an Osmio will be following right behind it to keep it in great nick

Expensive bleeding day this :D

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pgarrish said:

And an Osmio will be following right behind it to keep it in great nick

Expensive bleeding day this :D

It's not cheap....although the Osmio will save you far more than it costs over the years.

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

That was my thinking.  Spending £400+ on a water machine for a £300 coffee machine.... nah.  Not spending it on £1500+ machine would be self defeating.  

The Greta might even make my Santos grinder look a bit smaller too :)  Coffee corner is going to be quite large with the three bits of kit

2 hours ago, pgarrish said:

That age old question again - what machine next....

My sage DTP has popped its steam wand and the fitting appears to be plastic.  We've been debating upgrading for a while to something that will do 2 (or more) lattes a lot quicker than the sage.  Top of the list was the ACS minima having dual boilers and passing (in black) the looks test with my wife.  Looking at lots of other machines, the La Spaz S1 mini is also acceptable looks wise.  All the Rocket type machines with pipes and shiny stainless have been vetoed.  Ditto the Lelit boxes, so we're not left with much.  I'm waiting to hear if the Astoria in the classifieds is acceptable as that would leave money for an Osmio as well.

Out of the ACS and La Spaz, what would people suggest, I understand the La Spaz is an old (but proven?) design, whereas the ACS is much more modern

So it appears a 2K budget for new, or (say) 1K for used.  Nice fast steaming.  Easy maintenance.  Tank fed.  Size not much of an issue.

Grinder will remain my Santos 4.

I would skip the Astoria and the Spaz, both old design vibe pump Hx machines, your money can go a LOT further (unless you can pick up a used one super cheap that is).

The Minima ticks all the boxes, is cheaper and would perform better. You could also take a look something like the Ascaso Duo. Not my first choice but I think it fits the aesthetic you are after

steel-2017-duo-PF-PID-BW.jpg

1 minute ago, davril said:

I would skip the Astoria and the Spaz, both old design vibe pump Hx machines, your money can go a LOT further (unless you can pick up a used one super cheap that is).

The Minima ticks all the boxes, is cheaper and would perform better. You could also take a look something like the Ascaso Duo. Not my first choice but I think it fits the aesthetic you are after

steel-2017-duo-PF-PID-BW.jpg

Thats very nice, but I've already pulled the trigger on the Astoria.  

Just now, pgarrish said:

Thats very nice, but I've already pulled the trigger on the Astoria.  

Ahh, that'll teach me for not reading the thread. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

I dont think the ultimate ability of the machine will make much odds to the coffee I make.  As long as it's 'good enough' it's more how nice it is to use and look at :)  The coffee from the DTP was lovely, but it was slow, especially if we had visitors.  I'm hoping the Astoria (or any machine of that price range) will outlast me  (especially with an Osmio feeding it).   Wish I'd checked the weight before ordering though.... 38Kg - best get some weetabix!