IGNORED

Gaggia Classic 2020 gasket

The basket holder on this machine (new purchase about a year ago) has always been tight. It seems to vary but I now can’t get the holder in even when empty. Checked no obvious grounds blocking so assume it is the gasket. Seems others have similar problems, but am confused over whether to replace with standard gasket or a silicon version and what thickness 8.5 or 8.0.  Any advice appreciated and where to get an appropriate gasket

On 02/05/2021 at 10:39, Geoff said:

The basket holder on this machine (new purchase about a year ago) has always been tight. It seems to vary but I now can’t get the holder in even when empty. Checked no obvious grounds blocking so assume it is the gasket. Seems others have similar problems, but am confused over whether to replace with standard gasket or a silicon version and what thickness 8.5 or 8.0.  Any advice appreciated and where to get an appropriate gasket

If its the original portafilter and the machine is in warranty, i'd contact the suppliers

As @Nightrider_1uk pointed out if there’s a real issue, you could take it up as a warranty problem, but before you do that I’d remove the rubber gasket and check that, A, the seal hasn’t hardened (they do) and, B,  you don’t have trapped grounds between the group head and the rubber seal distorting the sealing face and making it difficult to lock the portafilter in, if you return it for warranty repair, and Gaggia find trapped grounds causing the fault you may well be back charged for the work as it’s classed as regular maintenance and cleaning.

If you haven’t taken the rubber group seal out previously you’ll need to remove the shower screen and dispersion plate before you remove the rubber seal, the shower screen screw is normally very tight to remove the first time, so use the correct screwdriver type or you’ll damage the screw. After removing those, carefully lever the seal out and check under it for grounds, if you’ve got more than a few, it can cause the problem you’re having. Should you decide to replace the rubber seal with a silicone part, opt for the Cafelat Blue, the colour shows it’s a 8.5 mm and correct for the Classic Pro (I have one fitted to my Pro and I like far better than the old rubber part). HTH.

@Geoff link to part req’d https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/cafelat-silicone-e61-group-head-gasket-8-5mm-blue.html

Edited by Deegee
Add link as req’d by OP